question for the ableton heads

DjCartel

VIP Junglist
What sampler do you use? a lot of sample packs come with sampler presets or whatever they are. nnxt, halion, kontakt, etc. what do you use with ableton to use these packs to their full extent?as sampler doesnt let you use them! basically, im looking to get some sort of sampler and want to know whats best with ableton. cheers for any help

As far as I know their isn't one made by ableton (I use ableton live 8 also but use wav samples) do a google search of vst that use these patches. maybe that will solve your problem. :)

As far as I know their isn't one made by ableton (I use ableton live 8 also but use wav samples) do a google search of vst that use these patches. maybe that will solve your problem. :)

yeah man i understand that i have to get an external vst sampler. just wondering which one works best woth ableton. lile halion amd kontakt are the two choices i think? i use wavs too, but loopmasters.packs come with sampler patches, which from what ive read is the.best part of a.pack

In my opinion it depends on what you're trying to get out of the sampling. Are you looking to just have audio that you can playback via MIDI controls and maybe tweak with added effects and stuff? I'd say stick with Ableton's native Sampler or Simpler, most sample packs will have the individual .wav or .aif files somewhere in the pack.

Are you looking to do a bit more advanced tweaking and knob turning to refine your sounds all in one package without too many external effects/plugins? I'd go with Kontakt, it's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you understand it you see a ton of potential in samples you would have otherwise thought useless and can do some really convenient stuff.

Do you want to do something that's simple but plunges the original sound through the stargate and into a much more ethereal dimension than anything you would've imagined the sound would be? I'd say Absynth is the best bet for that.

It really comes down to what you specifically want out of the sampler, how much $$$$SWAG_CASH_DOLLAS$$$$ you're willing to throw down, and how much you're willing to put in to learning to operate the thing. Though hose are the only samplers I've worked with, so my perspective is definitely limited.

I always go for the ableton download pack.
I don't use any other samplers than ableton's one.
They work extremely good and are lighter than VST.
Sometimes I use NNXT, from reason.

The advantage on using patches already made, is that you spend less time on programming your own.
The samples included in every packs are exactly the same, just change the format.
But most of times, you don't really need the tons of megabytes loaded in a sampler, just to use a couple of notes...

If you don't wanna pay for an extra VST sampler, stick with ableton ones, they works fantastic!

cheers for the feeback lads. Dugg, i would like something thats got a lot under the hood to explore, so im considering Kontakt potentially. real usefull insight from you so thanks for that.

rajstah vibe, what is an ableton pack? ive not got an up to date enough copy to open them! im considering buying the program though, as its really worht the money i think. so when you get a pack and it has sampler patches, what exactly are they? littrally just the wav that opens in the sampler? im confused! your right tho, sampler is a beast!

Ableton Live Packs (file extension: .alp) are a compressed file containing all the information regarding a specific setting of Live. Also include files from the library.

You can create your own pack as well.
That's a common way to share projects between collaborations online for example.
You can include, on the saved pack, everything that you use on your current liveset(except third party plugins).
When you want to use an .alp file, all you gotta do is to double click on the file and your computer' gonna recognise the file type, opening automatically Live and installing all the content of the pack on their respective directories.
Then, to browse, you just use the Live browser and you'll be able to see some new instruments/fx/racks/samples.

To go to the source of the installed devices, just browse the Live library from the browser... You'll be surprised of the tons of gigabytes ableton have to offer to you...
They are just hidden on his own library.
Have a look...

sampler does let you use them. Go to the preset, (I use the kontakt libs) and double click it. Ableton imports it into its own sample instrument library and it works directly with the sampler.

Most packs usually have the original wave that the sampler preset is based on, literally just drag that into abletons sampler and youve done exactly what that sampler patch would do.

As far as 3rd party stuff goes theres a fuck ton of stuff out there. All of it does pretty much the same thing.

My personal preferences are Kontakt 5 and Emu X3.

I use Kontakt because for some retarded reason, Abletons sampler does not have timestretching!

And it looks as though they haven't included it in Ableton 9 either :(

I use Kontakt because for some retarded reason, Abletons sampler does not have timestretching!

timestreching in abelton is so easy man! just drag a WAV sample into ableton, double click it and you can do all the time streching you want. you can add warp markers in different places to strech, then put that file into sampler or simpler.

and guys above, cheers for the heads up, i didnt realise it was that simple, though i was missing out on some gem in the pack, nice one!

timestreching in abelton is so easy man! just drag a WAV sample into ableton, double click it and you can do all the time streching you want. you can add warp markers in different places to strech, then put that file into sampler or simpler.

and guys above, cheers for the heads up, i didnt realise it was that simple, though i was missing out on some gem in the pack, nice one!

Yeah I know you can do that, but what I mean is when you play different notes in abletons sampler the speed changes aswell as the pitch

In Kontakt you just select 'timemachine' mode and it keeps the sample length the same whichever key you press

Yeah I know you can do that, but what I mean is when you play different notes in abletons sampler the speed changes aswell as the pitch

In Kontakt you just select 'timemachine' mode and it keeps the sample length the same whichever key you press

ah right, that sounds like a pretty handy function. kontatk is appealing to me a bit now

Really need to look into the time stretching stuff, I was like Meh, didnt think it could be done, and was looking a Kontact. Warp tutotrials it is then :)

On the Live Pack side, I bought the BlokH4ed pack, and there is some real cool instruments included on that pack, tons and tons of bass instruments, all based around the sampler I think, and all have adjustable macros giving you control over the sound shaping on it, even before any processing. I really havent gone to in depth, but I would recommend that Blokhead pack for sure, loads of usable stuff in there, as well as a load of drum hits/kits. I really thought I was getting a library of wav files with sounds on in the sample pack, when I saw it all, mind blown!

Never used a different DAW, only ever Abelton, but the stuff it does have is very cool!!!!! Really enjoying learning how to use it properly, powerful kit!

sampler does let you use them. Go to the preset, (I use the kontakt libs) and double click it. Ableton imports it into its own sample instrument library and it works directly with the sampler.
Interesting, I think that I've never tried that function... Good to know! ;)

for some retarded reason, Abletons sampler does not have timestretching!

I know what you mean! That just frustrating that you can't set a fixed time strectch to Sampler. It is one of the really little shame on that sampler...
Have you posted the request on the "Feature Wishlist" of the Ableton forum?

On the Live Pack side, I bought the BlokH4ed pack, and there is some real cool instruments included on that pack, tons and tons of bass instruments, all based around the sampler I think, and all have adjustable macros giving you control over the sound shaping on it, even before any processing. I really havent gone to in depth, but I would recommend that Blokhead pack for sure, loads of usable stuff in there, as well as a load of drum hits/kits. I really thought I was getting a library of wav files with sounds on in the sample pack, when I saw it all, mind blown!

Yeah! the BlokH4ed it's a brilliant pack!
But I will go for some reprocessing of those samples, as they are already been used in load of released tunes out there.
When you check on Track it Down the latest DnB releases with the Neuro tag, you will be impressed on how many tunes are builded with some raw chopping of the samples from this pack and from the June Miller's one... If you know those sample packs, you can recognise immediately the large abuse with few editings...

Just an example: http://www.trackitdown.net/track/ill-effects/monolith/drum_and_bass/5154295.html

Last edited:
I know what you mean! That just frustrating that you can't set a fixed time strectch to Sampler. It is one of the really little shame on that sampler...
Have you posted the request on the "Feature Wishlist" of the Ableton forum?

No, but I notice that its already been asked for many times before which Ableton keep ignoring for some reason!

I think its crazy some of the features these major DAW's choose to leave out, I mean how hard would it be to include this feature in the sampler? especially considering one of Abletons main selling points is its sample timestretching abilities!

NI and Ableton they are both from Berlin. They might have some agreement on a way to help each other business... CONSPIRATION! They don't implement it, so you will feel the need to buy the Kontakt just for that feature! :D lol

Back
Top Bottom