Question for signed artists

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So all you guys that have released tracks via record labels, and been signed etc etc I would like to pick your brains....

How did it happen for you? How did you get noticed/ signed?

I know that right now my tunes arent good enough to be signed but hopefully one day I would have upped my game enough. And I was just curious about how you would go about it?

Talking to labels/dj's, sending beats to people, meeting people at nights etc...

I was approached by one label and and others i sent tracks to on aim.

Yeah man, get on AIM and start sending your tunes around. Soundcloud is also a very useful tool for getting recognition :2thumbs:

first was when i sent a tune to a label, they checked my soundcloud and spotted a tune I had uploaded and set as a downloadable piece - they wanted that instead of the one I sent them... other than that, it's AIM purely. I've met a lot of DJ's from managing the sound in a local club event (even those flashy big ones) but handing them cd's never paid off directly.

yeh chat to labels, djs, producers and anyone who may know someone which could be helpfull...

grab some aim addresses and start sending ur tunes about. (watch who you send them to tho:))
Send it to Djs to play out and send to Label for concideration.

also send your music to dnb podcasts, like hospitals, dnba etc etc.. if they play it you will get alot of exposure.

make sure you have some good tunes!!, when an artist sends me a tune i google them looking to see what else they have made. its no good having a one trick pony so its best to have some ammo at the ready.

dont be put off if people dont give you a reply or feedback, big labels just leave there aim on and bugger off... I try and reply/feedback to everyone

luckily we found Dexcell and Mattix and Futile through here!
Sinse then we have released a vinyl/digital release for Dexcell.
we have a digital/vinyl release planned for Mattix&Futile

and now Dave from Dexcell has put us in contact with another Artist and we have signed him for a digi contract.

hopefully thats some okish info for you.

think thats about it...

Thanks for the replies, they are a huge help.

At the moment I'm just curious because I know full well my tunes arent up to proffesional standards yet, hopefully one day I may get there.

Right now I'm just happy plugging away creating stuff and posting on here for you guys to listen to, and all the comments I get back really does help me progress.

Sorry to be a bit of a hijacker but how much money does the artist see outta say a single vinyl and digital release? Like £1 vinyl and 25p a digi for example?

Just curious..

how long u been at it for?

Well ive been toying with it for about a year but never really focused on it or learnt anything up until about 2 months ago. Something just clicked and now I cant get enough of it. So in answer to your question Ive been at it seriously for about 2 months

compare your tunes with signed up artists, see if they stand up first

Chucking loads of tunes out to labels on AIM when they arent ready can do damage imo. If they recieve tunes that they arent into the time that you send them a banger they might not even listen.

Its a hard fucking effort especially when trying to gtet vinyl deals

Digital is a lot easier as there isnt much money risk involved if any, only thing is, that is the problem thats clogging up the digital market with mediocre music like Freestyles lol

If youre looking to make money i suggest a different music to progress cos dnb is shit unless you are at the top

Bascially my deals came after quite a bit of air play and support from big DJs in DnB

Getting play support from people such as Axiom, Optiv, Future Signal, Dylan, Kantyze and it can still be hard as to get a decent deal

hope that gives ya some kind of insight bro :)

yea, i dont imagine small time artists get alot of revenue from releases. i imagine its more of a way to get ur name known and then promote yourself as a dj and make money that way. Am i right?

yea, i dont imagine small time artists get alot of revenue from releases. i imagine its more of a way to get ur name known and then promote yourself as a dj and make money that way. Am i right?

yeh pretty much right. inless your hittin it big time then you wont get a lot of cash. I put 110% into tongue flap and i will continue to do so beacuse i love music and its what i do. If i was here for the money I wouldnt be running a label, but of course, breaking even is a must.

Back
Top Bottom