Question for CD DJs

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by IFTN, Mar 18, 2013.

1. IFTN

IFTN Active Member

Just bought some CDJs and about to burn my digital collection onto CDs but wondering if anyone has any clever suggestions as to how to do it. Like, what do you have on each disc? At the moment I'm thinking to do it by label or artist and make 2 of every CD so I can still mix tunes from the same CD. I'm really just looking for some general tips before I start though, any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

I do artist. Pick a max of 4 tunes per disc and go from there really. If it it's an obscure artist but its been remixed by someone like Break for instance then I just chuck that on there too. Other stuff I don't mix much I tend to cram on discs, like Trap, I've got 2 CD's of it that are identical so I can mix them but not have to burn tonnes of CD's if you get me.

I then order them in my CD wallet alphabetically lol.

3. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc

i (try to) burn 8 tunes max per cd, usually stuff that i won't be mixing together or singles on the same cd.
    No doubles, as i dont have space in my wallet for that (and it is long)

4. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

8 tunes per CD. Choosing by what I'm not gonna mix together, not making doubles.

5. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

I dont use cdj's, only used em a few times. But is it possible to load a tune onto one deck, eject the disc then slip it into the second cdj? Seems like something that you SHOULD be able to do?

What cdj's you got? Is usb flash drive a possibility?

What my mate did before he figured out how to link the cdj's via LAN cable was have 2 external hard drives both with exactly the same on each. Worked well for him.

6. cele

cele Well-Known Member

I have 11 tunes on each CD, first sorted by artist and then by what I think wont go well together / I won't mix together, as I dont make doubles. I'd recommend printing out the tracklist of each cd on a tiny piece of paper and putting it in your cd folder, write a number or whatever on it and the cd itself and you can easily find stuff (especially if you burn a lot of tunes per cd like me)

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Run all your tracks thru Mixed in Key with the key being placed at the start of the Artist name, 6-8 tunes per cd sorted in key (i.e 1a, 1b, 2a, etc) then from most recently released at the front of your wallet.. Worked me cos then you can flip to the back for classics when the set is lacking crowd movement.

8. della111

della111 Active Member

Started building my collection well before i got my CDJ's/started mixing at all, and stupidly decided to burn pretty much a tune per CD. Now i just put each release on a CD.

9. IFTN

IFTN Active Member

thanks for the responses everyone, but can I ask why the tend to burn not so many tracks per CD? my instinct is just to burn as many as will fit so that I don't have to look through as many CDs!

10. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

I found it easier to orientate with maximum of 8 tunes per CD, also they're loading a bit quicker while changing. But that's just my personal preference really :)

11. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

so you have more choice of tunes to mix together

if you burn 8 different tunes on one and 8 different tunes on other, thats a lot less combinations (cba to do maths) than if you burnt the 16 tunes across 4 discs.

I used to burn around 3-5 tunes per disc but I think burning as many as you can on one then making a duplicate is the best way to do it.

12. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

1 tune per disc always.

13. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

NO

:teeth:

14. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

hahah.
    It's probably slightly different for me as I don't use CD's at home. So I just burn what I know i'm going to play!

15. Sneaks

Sneaks Member

I just stick 9-10 tunes on a CD and burn 2 copies of it. Couldn't be arsed putting any less than about 5 or 6 tunes on a CD, must take about 2 days every time you wanna have a mix.