Question about playing MP3's on radio...

D BREAKNECK

7 years on top
VIP Junglist
Hiya,

not DnB related but a quickie someone will know the answer too...

What's the lowest quality MP3 bitrate you can play out on radio? (Broadcast & internet).

Situation is, I've a friend at work doin a radio show, and she's interviewing someone who was big in Manchester 80's indie scene. Only possible way she can get the music is DLing from various sources at different bit rates. Some of it will be used as background music under the interview, some of the tracks will be played as snippets.

Suggestion please! Thanks...

Hiya,

not DnB related but a quickie someone will know the answer too...

What's the lowest quality MP3 bitrate you can play out on radio? (Broadcast & internet).

Situation is, I've a friend at work doin a radio show, and she's interviewing someone who was big in Manchester 80's indie scene. Only possible way she can get the music is DLing from various sources at different bit rates. Some of it will be used as background music under the interview, some of the tracks will be played as snippets.

Suggestion please! Thanks...

it will affect the quality of the broadcast using different bit rate mp3s, that said, zane lowe has played some internet rips on radio 1 and they sounded fine.

Anyways, if its for a 80's docu-type of thing, you can get away with it imo, the quality of things werent recorded that great then anyway!

hope your good Dan btw :wave:

you can't polish a turd..... but you can roll it in gliter.

we had a meeting at force recently and basically it went down like this.
320kpbs are obviously the prefered quality, but management don't expect anybody to playing anything below 256kbps.
obviously, it's horses for courses. but that should give you a rough idea.

sayin that, i did play a 198kbps mp3 on radio a while back and it sounded fucking gash. i got a couple of 256kbps that i play from time to time, and thety stand up well against over wp3s and vinyl (y)

I would say minimum 192kbs, but as dusteck said if its just snippets you could probly get away with 128

FM quality is no higher than 192 anyway, that said if it's a shit rip it won't sound good even if its 320...

Back
Top Bottom