Question about pitch shifting samples - Logic users

Agenz

Hi everyone,

I hope i'm doing this the correct way but feel free to tell me if there's an easier way or if i'm doing it wrong. Here goes:-

In Logic I drop a sample I like into the arrangement which states is in Emin. The track i'm working on is in the Key of Fmin. So I double click the sample, go into Factory menu then Time and pitch machine.

From here I change the algorithm to suit the material i'm working on (in this case a pad drone) then under the pitch section at the bottom of the window change the transposition to 200 cents (which I believe is one semitone). Is this right?

Or say I wanted to change it to Amin, would this be 800 cents (4 semitones). Does it work the same if I was going down to Dmin, would this be -600 (3 semitones). As you can see my music theory may be off but i'm still learning.

Any help would be great and thanks in advance,

Paul

Yes, 100 cents = 1 semitones.

If you're using Apple Loops, the sample will automatically confirm to the project key. The result is usually spot on, but if the sample is something like a chord progression, the result can be less than pleasing.

If the sample is not an apple loop, you could use the time/groove machine but again, depending on the content of the sample it may sound a bit off compared to other samples that are in the same key.

I find a good work around when dealing with samples that differ from the key of the project is to slice it up and throw it into EXS24 and mess around on the keys of your MIDI until you find a result that sounds good.

Or if you have melodyne, drop the file into it and let it work its magic.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, 100 cents = 1 semitone, thanks for clearing this up.

I find a good work around when dealing with samples that differ from the key of the project is to slice it up and throw it into EXS24 and mess around on the keys of your MIDI until you find a result that sounds good.

This sounds like the way to go or get Melodyne. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom