Question about mixing & mastering

• Thread starter about mixing & mastering
  • Start date
A

about mixing & mastering

I was wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction for mixing and mastering jump up style drum and bass. Particularly on the mastering side,

I'm struggling to get that (and of course, I know this does take a while to master, no pun intended) punch with the drums and to balance the vocals, drums and bass together.
I'm able to compress and EQ the drums for that big sound - with a solid thump at 100hz for the kick the 200hz snare sounding good - but the problems I'm having in particular are with the bass.

I can't seem to get the sub reese in the right place. It seems to high drown everything out because of the low frequency content when too load, but then have virtually no presence when turned down.

I think I need to go back to basics and learn how to set things up properly. Any tips?

Thanks

It sounds like you need to get to grips with Mixdowns before even worrying about mastering.

It sounds like you need to get to grips with Mixdowns before even worrying about mastering.

Yeah I think you're right acutually. You can't polish a turd can you. Are there any tutorials or tips for mixing this style specifically?
I know the basics of mixing but I feel because this specific genre is often the result of a lot of mastering compression to get it sounding the way it does, it's difficult to mix it.

Cheers

I know the basics of mixing but I feel because this specific genre is often the result of a lot of mastering compression to get it sounding the way it does

It doesn't have to be and most likely isn't on the master. And probably 10% of that "compression" is actually compression, and the remaining 90% is distortion, limiting, maximizing, transient shaping, soft clipping, saturation, EQing, mid/side processing, layering, clever sound design (like putting white noise on things to make them sound bigger) etc. etc.

Like Mefjus said in his interview, compression is just a buzzword that gets thrown around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom