Question about Mixing D&B!

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

Firstly, I am using Virtual DJ. Yes I know, "get off of virtual DJ, its no good" etc etc. Real decks cost quite a bit of a cash and I really can't afford it right now.

One thing I do want to purchase is a set of decent headphones and a splitter. So far I have only been mixing through speakers so am not certain where I am on the next track...

I feel with headphones this will help me improve a little and make it more fun! For me fun is what its all about :)

What my question is is when using headphones do I have to mix using The Volume for the seperate decks on the mixer or use Crossfade? I have been using Crossfade up to now and, as I understand it, this would cut out the sound from headphones?

I hope my post makes a little bit of sense and someone can help me !

Jordan

to be honest man Id get a midi controller... Virtual DJ is rubbish, and for a relatively small amont of money you can get a dj controller. Trust me, having more convenient controls and not having to use keyboard shortcuts will make DJing easier. Also you can use headphones on a controller as you would on a conventional mixer. The channels should have a cue button/switch/slider which you select to send the signal from that channel to your headphones so you hear the track you are cueing and it wont cut out.

Something like this should help you out no end, and once youve worked this out you can pretty much use cd decks as well

Hope this helps you

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

I suppose a link would help you out. I have never used hercules controllers but hear they are reasonable

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_dj_control_mp3_e2.htm

I am not sure of the software that comes bundled with it (if any) but essentially as it is likely to be basically a midi controller (please someone correct me if I am wrong) even if it doesnt comes bundled with anything you should be able to map the controls into virtual DJ

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

to be honest man Id get a midi controller... Virtual DJ is rubbish, and for a relatively small amont of money you can get a dj controller. Trust me, having more convenient controls and not having to use keyboard shortcuts will make DJing easier. Also you can use headphones on a controller as you would on a conventional mixer. The channels should have a cue button/switch/slider which you select to send the signal from that channel to your headphones so you hear the track you are cueing and it wont cut out.

Something like this should help you out no end, and once youve worked this out you can pretty much use cd decks as well

Hope this helps you

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

I suppose a link would help you out. I have never used hercules controllers but hear they are reasonable

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_dj_control_mp3_e2.htm

I am not sure of the software that comes bundled with it (if any) but essentially as it is likely to be basically a midi controller (please someone correct me if I am wrong) even if it doesnt comes bundled with anything you should be able to map the controls into virtual DJ

P.S check out the link at the bottom of this comment. Studio set mixed across 3x Technics 1210s

Thanks very much for the post man! I will look into the midi controllers, looks like a sensible investment and should provide a more "real" experience :)

Definately get a midi controller. DJ'ing using a keyboard and mouse is pitiful to do, and to watch someone do. lol.

Get a little numark TC or something. The numark TC will come with the DJIO sound card (sometimes it doesnt so check).

To answer one of your questions, basically you queue a track in the headphones, and no matter where the crossfader is, you'll hear that track in your headphones.

If you´re short with your money you might consider a Behringer BCD3000..had it off ebay, condition - new, I think around 120 €uro. Everybody says that Behringer is shit but I never had problems. Just treat shit good.

Thanks for all the responses. Really taken with a MIDI Controller :D And thanks Dedbult for clearing up my misunderstanding with Headphones :)

Get the traktor software. if you really cant afford it, torrent it. its million times better than virtual dj trust me

This is what I did. Moved 12 hours away and didn't have my decks but wanted to keep mixing so I found Traktor. It was the only program back in 02? that had a pitch bend button that worked. Sorry NI, but it was to your advantage. I now own Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and just picked up an X1 yesterday. It's a fun piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom