question about mixdown

AlienWeapon

At the moment a track of mine is mixed to about -2db, is this too high? or too low? or does it not matter? obviously im not clipping but im wondering how much room is it best to leave?

If you ask any audio engineer, it's possible he'll answer: between -3bd and -6db, to leave enough headroom for the mastering stage.

I always aim my mix to hit the -6db mark.

Ok, I'm gonna aim for somewhere between. Now to adjust everything again lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

most mastering studios ask for -3, I usually mix to that, but I leave the ultimate mix till the very very end, a lot of people choose to mix as they go.

I really don't think that's true. Most dubs ive ever got are literally sitting bang on 0db, as are every released track.

As far as im aware (and having spoken to a couple of top mastering engineers), the method of setting your limiter ceiling to -0.1 or -0.2 is to ensure that there is no overshoot and nothing will go passed this level.

Im pretty sure 0.3 of headroom is recommended for the master because it reduces the effects of file compression for commercial digital copies. I researched on how to get a good sound out of soundcloud (which compresses all files to 128kb/s mp3), and found out that 0.5-0.2 db's of headroom will reduce the aliasing effect from heavy file compression.

As far as im aware (and having spoken to a couple of top mastering engineers), the method of setting your limiter ceiling to -0.1 or -0.2 is to ensure that there is no overshoot and nothing will go passed this level.

Is the for mix down or how they release stuff? If that was how they release stuff then wouldnt tracks read 0.1/2 in my daw not 0? I'm genuinely interested btw, ive never had anything mastered (y)

Wut? Home masters should be 0db for sure? not like it makes any difference but still

Well, I leave it at -1 db because some digital publishers, like iTunes if I ever release music through them, would add an extra db for mastering purposes, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom