question about mixdown

At the moment a track of mine is mixed to about -2db, is this too high? or too low? or does it not matter? obviously im not clipping but im wondering how much room is it best to leave?

Dark Lizardro

The Lizard that has a hammer
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
If you ask any audio engineer, it's possible he'll answer: between -3bd and -6db, to leave enough headroom for the mastering stage.

I always aim my mix to hit the -6db mark.

alz

compress to impress
VIP Junglist
most mastering studios ask for -3, I usually mix to that, but I leave the ultimate mix till the very very end, a lot of people choose to mix as they go.

Lunos

VIP Junglist
As far as im aware (and having spoken to a couple of top mastering engineers), the method of setting your limiter ceiling to -0.1 or -0.2 is to ensure that there is no overshoot and nothing will go passed this level.

Mania

i fukin wot m8
VIP Junglist
Im pretty sure 0.3 of headroom is recommended for the master because it reduces the effects of file compression for commercial digital copies. I researched on how to get a good sound out of soundcloud (which compresses all files to 128kb/s mp3), and found out that 0.5-0.2 db's of headroom will reduce the aliasing effect from heavy file compression.

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
As far as im aware (and having spoken to a couple of top mastering engineers), the method of setting your limiter ceiling to -0.1 or -0.2 is to ensure that there is no overshoot and nothing will go passed this level.
Is the for mix down or how they release stuff? If that was how they release stuff then wouldnt tracks read 0.1/2 in my daw not 0? I'm genuinely interested btw, ive never had anything mastered (y)