Question about Dubplates

Treazon

Myriad Abstruse
VIP Junglist
What is the situation with getting a tune that you have bought on MP3 (or got for free: Commix - Painted Smile) cut onto a plate?

I was thinking about getting my new tune on one side and the Commix tune on the other as I have a night coming up and don't particularly like using CDJs...

Any ideas? :2thumbs:

Also, what was that site that loads of people used to get plates cut? There was a thread about it a while ago, can't find it...

No one would really be bothered about the legalities or anything, just do it. People do this all the time

I personally wouldnt though coz IMO dubplates are a waste of money since they don't last as long as regular vinyl, but obviously its your own production which wouldnt see wax otherwise so why not!

Heathmans is one of the most reputable cutters - www.heathmans.co.uk

Last edited:
There is nothing like having your own tune set in wax, but if you are considering having your own on the flip but i would recommend that you get it mastered professionally. It could be frustrating paying to have it cut only to sound crap against a full release.

I certainly would not worry about the legalities if your are going to dub plate an mp3 that you purchase or have been given free by the producer/DJ especially when the whole idea is to get the tunes play time right?

Anyway, hope you have a good one :rave:

I personally wouldnt though coz IMO dubplates are a waste of money since they don't last as long as regular vinyl, but obviously its your own production which wouldnt see wax otherwise so why not!

They aren't actually acetate dubplates, they're cut from PVC and claim to last as long as a standard pressed vinyl... And what makes you think that my tunes won't be pressed one day? Eh? :D

Yeah, that's the one, they're closed for Christmas though... :(
Cheers, I found vinylrecordcutting.com which looks pretty good, so might have to get it from there (£30 double sided 12")

i would recommend that you get it mastered professionally.

As far as I'm aware the mastering is included in the above price, but I've asked a few people who have said that my newer tunes sound like they should for being cut to vinyl, apparently you just have to make sure the highs aren't too high...

Cheers for your input everyone ;)

un less you play out a lot there is little point... get a CDJ. Dubplates dont last very long

Would it be legal to get tracks like tibetan mist or power of raa cut to dub plate as you cant buy the original version anymore?

still not legal mate, respect the scene!!

altho how i would love a copy of noisia - sweet dreams and the masochist remix, oh the temptation is overwhelming!

altho how i would love a copy of noisia - sweet dreams and the masochist remix, oh the temptation is overwhelming!

Would the dub cutting company be willing to do it tho?

P.s I'm not intending to get the vinyls cut i'm just curious as to wether they would do it. I would much rather pay £30 - £40 for the real copies on ebay or somthing.

lol, well unless they're particularly bothered about dnb i doubt they'll have any qualms with it, its a general rule that if ur paying for it the company doesnt give two shits, as long as they get their pittance.

I would think that it would be legal, as you have already paid for the mp3, its just the same as copying onto CD...

I respect the scene just as much as anyone else which is why I'm asking...

I would think that it would be legal, as you have already paid for the mp3, its just the same as copying onto CD...

Not in the UK mate - you can't copy legally from medium to medium.

Don't try and take a common sense approach to copyright law, a particularly complex and arcane area of law, it doesn't work that way, especially in the UK and US.

Would the dub cutting company be willing to do it tho?

P.s I'm not intending to get the vinyls cut i'm just curious as to wether they would do it. I would much rather pay £30 - £40 for the real copies on ebay or somthing.

I bet the original producer is really going to enjoy the 40 quid you spend on Ebay.

un less you play out a lot there is little point... get a CDJ. Dubplates dont last very long

I agree, a crap CD player will cost as much as a couple of dubplates, a great top end one with a platter that works the same as deck will cost the same as a dozen...

Andy C has the money to cut onto dubplates but he's got a bit more to spend...

I bet the original producer is really going to enjoy the 40 quid you spend on Ebay.

Maybe if he see's it'll tempt him into a repress. Rams repressed there last 15 years of tracks. So why havent ebony dubs/humanoid repressed Raa/Tibetan mist???

Not in the UK mate - you can't copy legally from medium to medium.

Don't try and take a common sense approach to copyright law, a particularly complex and arcane area of law, it doesn't work that way, especially in the UK and US.

I'm not going to try and argue with you, but I was under the impression that as long as you don't sell it then you can copy media from computer to CD, especially as you have bought the file legally... Otherwise, what would be the point in buying 320 Mp3s in the first place?

I agree, a crap CD player will cost as much as a couple of dubplates, a great top end one with a platter that works the same as deck will cost the same as a dozen...

Andy C has the money to cut onto dubplates but he's got a bit more to spend...

Although this is true, I can't imagine a feeling closer to having your tune pressed by a record label than having it on a high quality dubplate! Its more to do with the fact that I love mixing with vinyl, and I have a couple of nights coming up where I'd like to play my new tune and that Commix tune, and haven't really had the chance to get to grips with CDJs... Maybe one day when I get a payrise I'll be able to splash out on a decent CDJ...

Would it be legal to get tracks like tibetan mist or power of raa cut to dub plate as you cant buy the original version anymore?

if anyone has a 320k/s version of RA i'd actually quite consider sucking them off for it....

either that, or point me in the direction of where to buy it.

saying that, i havent looked for it yet on beatport.

disgregard that, i suck cocks.

I'm not going to try and argue with you, but I was under the impression that as long as you don't sell it then you can copy media from computer to CD, especially as you have bought the file legally... Otherwise, what would be the point in buying 320 Mp3s in the first place?

Like I said, don't try and use common sense in copyright.

You are technically breaking the law in the UK transferring media to media. Its a load of bollocks but it is state of the law.

Back
Top Bottom