Quality Control

nasher

Gangsta Status
any1 else thinkin vinyl pressing needs sum attention? recently i have been getting loads of poor presses, i.e pops crackles. for example, i got dont tell me on promo, and it had a big chip out of it, so i wait to release, and i have just noticed the labels are on the wrong sides!!! i think its about time a bit of effort and attention is put into vinyl now. Just wondering if any1 else has had a fair few problems

:O :O :monkey: :O :O

DJ Fatal said:
any1 else thinkin vinyl pressing needs sum attention? recently i have been getting loads of poor presses, i.e pops crackles. for example, i got dont tell me on promo, and it had a big chip out of it, so i wait to release, and i have just noticed the labels are on the wrong sides!!! i think its about time a bit of effort and attention is put into vinyl now. Just wondering if any1 else has had a fair few problems

Not so much pops and crackles but I have noticed alot of the vinyl lately has been slightly warped. I try & buy most of my tunes of the net one of the main reasons been they should be brand new so no-one else has decided to put a massive scratch across the vinyl making it unplayable.

DJ Fatal said:
and i have just noticed the labels are on the wrong sides!!! i think its about time a bit of effort and attention is put into vinyl now. Just wondering if any1 else has had a fair few problems

yep had that same problem and i hate it when the vinyl is bent and strings n that pitch up n down like hell.

Holes in the middle are a little too big, and they are warped to one side.

You can fix both so it's all good!

There are these vinyl clamps you can get which are quite good.
I'm sure a record collector magazine would ahve some shit about that on it

Not sure if its my imagination, but sometimes I get promos that sound like they havent been fully mastered eg. The Message : EdRush&Optical.
The Metalheadz No Smoke album was also really soft, had to crank the gain to get it level.

Best cheap way to straighten slightly bent vinyl: Without the cover place it on a TOTALLY flat, clean surface (ie. laminex, glass).
Put a mug of very hot/boiling water down on the label. The heat slowly radiates out from the centre and flattens the disc. Doesnt take long and should help you.

:miss_rep:

Serum said:
There are these vinyl clamps you can get which are quite good.
I'm sure a record collector magazine would ahve some shit about that on it

Wow, theres magazines especially for record collectors? I'll have to check into that.

DJ Fatal said:
does it matter which way up the vinyl is/?

well gravity is the thing isn't it?
You want to have it side-up so the central label part is most raised, that way when it heats up it will lower back down to the FLAT surface you have it on.

Cant hurt to do both sides, as a lot of kinks seem to run both ways. Its not a cure-all, but does work to an extent and won't damage the vinyl (as long as you don't spill boiling water directly on it)

:2thumbs:

DJ Fatal said:

YER DEFO ive had shit loads of problems mainly on redeye records .bye in v recordins wat is going on ... big up vinyle

Nice, I'm going to try that. I have a 1992 black label copy of "Egyptian Empire" that is warped the the point I want to break it in half and throw it in the recylcle bin. I had it under a bunch of encyclopedias for a year and it didn't help one bit.

jay walker said:
Hmmm - If the record is warped beyond playing - there is no harm in trying i suppose! End of the day the label aint important if you can flatten the disc :P
(y)

1992 said:
Wow, theres magazines especially for record collectors? I'll have to check into that.

reccoll.jpg

:miss_rep:

Back
Top Bottom