Putting your own night on is HARD atm!! (rant)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Leemodnb, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Leemodnb

Leemodnb Member

Lost my job in December and been on Jobseekers trying to get a new one... what a blag!

Decided to put my own night on in town (Manchester) to make a bit of extra money. Didn't realise how much stress came with it.

1. Had to find a club and negotiate a price for rental.
    2. Look for decent DJ's for as cheap as possible.
    3. Make and distribute flyers.
    4. Get tickets on ticketline.
    5. Get a decent soundsystem
    6. Promote, promote, promote!!

I blame the credit crunch.. only got 200 people in a venue that fits 400 @ £5-£7 each. Just about broke even, i made a profit of £5. Had to pay:

Club - £300
    Soundsystem - £150
    Dj's (Rich reason, The Steppahs, Marshall) - £200
    MC's (Chunky, Tonn Piper, Skeez) - £180
    Girl on the door - £30
    Total - £820 Blag!!

Even though i promoted the ass of it only 30 tickets got bought online. Everyone else paid on the door but complained about the price and a lot of people were going elsewhere after finding it was £7 in so I lowered the price to £5 entry.

I was Djing myself but was on at 2am. The night was just major stress, i was on the doors checking guestlist. The bouncers were searching EVERYONE and about 20 people got caught with drugs. I had to make sure the door girl had enough change all the time, had to make sure DJ's were on at right times and were ok. Check if the MC's were cool. Its just too much work for one person, people were stopping me wanting to chat and i felt rude because i had so much to do.

At the end of the night, and after playing the best set i've ever played everyone came up to me telling me how good the night was. The only thing i'm moaning about is how much money I made, I was £110 down after paying for flyers. I really enjoyed the feedback and it lifted me up a bit so I've decided to put another night on in March and hopefully this one will turn out much better. I've got a friend involved to help now and we're gonna split whatever we make, if we make anything. I've learned a lot and what not to do next time and hopefully after a few months, the name will start to get about a bit. Managed to get Skeez as resident MC so thats a start.

Next event: 21st March @ Satan's Hollow, Manchester.
    Stenchman (manchester dubstep debut)
    Ken Evil
    Kinx
    Pale
    Royster B2B Leemo (me)
    MC's Skeez, Chunky.
    Tickets available on ticketline.

If you know any good, cheap DJ's, let me know. I'm taking bookings for May/June.

Also, any tips/feedback on promoting a night is welcome and appreciated :)

2. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

It is far to much for 1 person to do. Look at OhMyGod!, they've got a team of 5 people to run their nights.

Is it a purely dubstep night then? I didn't know Owen played dubstep?

3. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

its a really tough and dirty game. i had a dable with it, lost loads of good friends, and just fucked it off.
    good luck with your endeavour. (y)

4. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

it will not bring you money in the long run. maybe after the 10 th night. but yea, not gonna be profitable. most do it for the love

5. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

fair play lad, it is fuckin stressful, especially if u have overheads. i will bring a crew to the next one, is it strictly dubstep then???

Satans hollow is a mad place to hold it but its dirty.

6. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

this

best way to start is just to have a good time, if you start making money then that's a bonus but usually it just means hiring better acts so you can have a better time :D

and imo your really not gonna start drawing in a decent crowd until you start booking well known upcoming producers around the £200 a head mark, but then again all areas are different, depends wot else is going on etc.

7. Leemodnb

Leemodnb Member

Yeah, its Drum and Bass too man. The sound system is sick, but the venue is the only one available on a sat at the moment.

Stenchman has cost us £350 because he's from brighton and he needs travel expenses etc. That was my mates move, not a wise one I should add. Think he's on True tiger, up and coming producer.

In may/june I think i'm gonna get Subterra and Steppa on. Had a word with them both and they both seem sweet to play for around £200.

I'm mainly doing it for the love of it. I think my main goal is to have 4 nights a month going at different venues, that should keep me busy and i should make a few new mates off that.

8. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

£350 is a bit steep a price when you're just starting out mate.

I'll play for you for a nominal price. I've played at all the major DnB nights in Manchester. Rich Reason will vouch for me. Infact, I'm playing at Hit n Run on the 23rd March so I could meet you then and we could have a chat.

Do you post on NWDNB?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

Mate.. get The Mutant DJs down to play... we'll come up for just petrol money... only for dnbforum heads though!!!

Yeh promoting is hard mate... done it for many years.... take alot of time and effort. pays off in the end though mate... keep doing them. you wont make any money till you have a good following. Which is probably alot easier to get in manchester than it is in london. London is hard mate.... loads of competition.

hit me up on private message if you wonna get us up to play at your event man... more than happy to help out. Can arrange a few other peeps to play for cheaper than they might charge you aswell...

10. mr A

mr A Well-Known Member

my mate got one up and running in Stafford (not known for it's underground music scene) and did it monthly. By about the 5th night he got a good following and decided to go all out and hire Hazard,Bassman and juiceman (about a grand in total) plus resident dj's (100-300). That night when he needed the club full the old bill decided to set up swab testing on the door plus loads of CID lurking near the venue. loads of people got nicked (including one of the dj's) and shit loads more didn't bother coming because of the old bill. My mate ended up well out of pocket and won't ever do another night because of the stress. Good luck with your plans.

11. Kickback

Kickback New Member

Good on you tho man for organizing a night! I was thinking of doing the same kind of thing for my 18th or something, but reading stuff other people have put up and said makes its sound like way too much work and money which isn't available atm.

Might wanna try going with local DJs tho, less travel expenses and that

12. 12 inch grinch

12 inch grinch Active Member

350 could go on much better dnb mcs or djs
    its defanetly wise to do your research on which up and comming artist with bigger profiles than stenchman that will get a crowd in,no discredit to the man he doing well,but if you want to make maximum money and better nights then surely thats needed. personally you could get a big well know dnb dj for 350 or maybe 400 but i hope you see my point , good luck mate.

13. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

I will play for ya for zilch mate, i played the last platoon (will be playin other in the future) resident in Jabof (liverpool, they also have booked stenchman, he is a good bookin) plus i will help ya as much as i can in promotion plus i will bring a crew, plus i live in manchester city centre. Check the myspace lad.:)

i know ya prob after big players but no matter who ya have headlinin, u need the heads in the dance. HOWZAT?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  14. Leemodnb

Leemodnb Member

Cheers for the feedback and support. I'll definitely be in touch with all of you about bookings and that. And i'll be all over the research for potential £300-£400 Headliner Dj bookings, but i'm going to concentrate on spending as little as possible on DJ's at the mo.
    I just want to get the night busy and pull a regular crowd in. Got HH Crew on for april so the new bookings will be in May.

Cheers again lads.

15. KEMZ

KEMZ Blatant Royal Status

well done for pulling off all that buy yourself! thats a big feat in itself there mate.
    me and 2 other mates are organising a night down here in West sussex for May, and if i had to do all this on my own i think the stress of it would put me right off.
    we all have different contacts and they way to make things like this really work is being able to pull lots of resources together. im surprised that dude was asking for £350 to play such a small gig, i personally wouldnt pay that.

i think your life would be 3 times easier if you carried all the weight between 2 or 3 of you, then you can all focus on your immediate duties within your promotional team.

i think you'll find as well as the cost being split, the headache and stress should subside too

16. KEMZ

17. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

Mate.. its so much easier working on your own... i much prefer it.

luckily... for mine and Wizzs "Analog" event... we work really well together... so we make a really good combo... but other than Wizz... i really dont think i can work with anyone else... i much prefer it on my own.

18. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

No offence to the lad or nothin but why the hell do you want skeez as a resident.

Also whats the name of your night? An where was it?

19. KEMZ

yeah i can imagine WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING! its much nicer to work by yourself as you'll have full control over the night and what happens.

starting out though, its a huge burden for one person who on a learning at the same time.

20. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

ahahaha! less competition in manchester ?
    there's like 27 different dnb nights, without mentioning the allmighty warehouse project. and thats in a town thats around 1/10 of london.
    nuff competition man...