Putting on a DnB Night

Rezin

Freeze Motherfucker
I'm looking for a bit of advice for putting on a DnB night. It would be based in Glasgow, there's a few 150-250 capacity venues I have in mind so fairly small to start off with. There's only a couple of other nights in the city with local based residents, so I think there's a bit of a gap in the market for a night with a big name DJ headlining. I've been putting on free nights in my local area with my sound system, myself and a few friends DJing, and we have a little bit of a following. Just looking to step up to the next level.

What I want to know is how much should I be excpecting to pay for a headline DJ, aswell as transport, accom, etc. if required? Thinking maybe along the lines of Cyantific, Kasra, Break. Are guys like these even likely to be willing to play in such a small club, all the way up in Scotland for a new night? Xplicit in Edinburgh and Jungle Nation in Aberdeen reguarly book guys from down south, so why not Glasgow?

Also, what do other promoters find to be the best way to sell tickets? through skiddle, or paper tickets?

Any other costs, things I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

Glasgow has never had much of a drum & bass scene but it could be done if you do it right.

You need a combination of a good venue and a DJ the locals will want to see. Every city is different and an act that smashes it in one city will bomb in another so you need to know your crowd. If you have a decent venue that people go to anyway, that's half the battle won as you'll get a few people coming in regardless of what's on.

Fee wise, any DJ will play if the price is right but you need to know how much you can afford to pay and be prepared to haggle. If you put in an offer they're not happy with, the worst that can happen is they'll say no.

It is very easy to lose money so you might need to compromise a bit on your tastes to get a following for your night. It takes a lot of work to get your night successful enough for you to be able to book whoever you want and still get a good turnout. A lot of new promoters don't understand this and only want to book people they like regardless of whether they'll draw a crowd.

Good luck!

You might have to fork out for accommodation aswell, considering Glasgow is quite a way to travel for some DJs :2thumbs:

J Bostron's from that neck of the woods and he's been involved with nights there maybe you should contact him out on fb..

One thing I learnt from putting on nights is always have a back up plan if things go wrong:

# If a DJ is late - make sure someone can cover.
# Cdj/turntable breaks - have a spare including needles
# Mic doesn't work - have a spare and spare cable
# Never let the club run the door - get some mates to do it

There is loads more but can't remember atm

- - - Updated - - -

with regards to tickets, don't bother until your night is big, waste of money until then

Back
Top Bottom