Put a track in front/on top of the others?

80v

Hey all. New here, as well as quite new to production. I'm recording on Logic and I have a pre-made beat and having a track in the same project doing the mic recording for the raps, but I have a dilemma. Changing the volumes doesn't make it sound right at all, in fact it kinda makes it worse. I was wondering, is there a way I can make one of my tracks (the vocals) sound like it's in front and on top of the beat rather than side-by-side? Like, there are parts where the beats just basically dominate the vocals and I can't do anything about it, and changing the volume for different pieces of different tracks would make it sound really bad and consistent.

Thanks guys!

I would look into using compression. Compression automatically levels out the volume of the track running through it, something like vocals will be very dynamic and therefore will change in volume a lot naturally, by putting a compressor on it, the loudest parts of the vocal will be brought down in level and then you can use the overall make up gain to bring the vocals up. I would imagine the pre-made beat you have could also benefit from this treatment, but it is probably more your vocals that require it.

The other thing i would suggest is using EQ. You can surgically remove parts of the sounds where the frequencies clash. So in logic, put a channel EQ on both the vocals and the beat, turn on the analyser option and you can see where the spikes of energy are on each. You may then wish to cut the frequency where there is overlap. Vocals tend to sit well in the 2-4Khz region - depends on the singer obviously - but maybe cut away some of the drums for this frequency range.

Also volume control will be help you out too. that is the art of balancing. You may need to automate the louder and quieter bits by hand using logics automation. the drums should probably sit slightly lower than your vocals in the mix.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Sunder

this should help you get headed in the right direction brother ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 10.39.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 10.39.41 AM.png
    716.3 KB · Views: 91
feel free to hit me up with questions you may have :2thumbs:
I would look into using compression. Compression automatically levels out the volume of the track running through it, something like vocals will be very dynamic and therefore will change in volume a lot naturally, by putting a compressor on it, the loudest parts of the vocal will be brought down in level and then you can use the overall make up gain to bring the vocals up. I would imagine the pre-made beat you have could also benefit from this treatment, but it is probably more your vocals that require it.

The other thing i would suggest is using EQ. You can surgically remove parts of the sounds where the frequencies clash. So in logic, put a channel EQ on both the vocals and the beat, turn on the analyser option and you can see where the spikes of energy are on each. You may then wish to cut the frequency where there is overlap. Vocals tend to sit well in the 2-4Khz region - depends on the singer obviously - but maybe cut away some of the drums for this frequency range.

Also volume control will be help you out too. that is the art of balancing. You may need to automate the louder and quieter bits by hand using logics automation. the drums should probably sit slightly lower than your vocals in the mix.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Sunder

Thank you both for the replies, these really help. I'll try out different settings and see what goes well.

Back
Top Bottom