Pure hate...

I don't like the continuning determination of some to see this music splinter into further sub-genres/scenes that bear little or no resemblance to each other ... sort of a wilful destruction of the musical unity.

I am not against 'labels' because we need them to talk about music, and of course people will always have their preference of style. There is a lot of diversity out there at the moment, and I think once you stop checking all the styles you miss out on a shitload of fun new stuff automatically, stuff that may be really good and lead to new directions for all of us.

Bailey, Zinc and Friction are the main big names I can think of who are keeping the spectrum expanded in their choice of DJing, sure there are others (please name em)

On this forum I love mixes like that of DjAccess, Freeagent, Triple M (from Oct last year) cos they cross levels so nicely while retaining unique selection.

I love good MCs like SP, Eksman, Stamina and dislike ones who rabbit on like ... the usual suspects. I hate hammerheads who dis anything with a melody as fluffy, but I love my dark sounds forever. I like stupid fat wobbly basslines and tear-out doubledrops; but the drumfunk/dubwise fusion has done more for my faith that any other form recently. I don't mind staunch but don't get in my face cunt, just let everyone have the space.

I hate that one of the main dNb promoters in Melbourne keeps putting fucking breaks DJs in the dNb room. 33 and 1/3 get it together, you just might do something for the scene here. I hate that there is not a good weekly night, or even a monthly for that matter. I hate the fact that electro is bigger than dNb in the clubs. I hate the two venues that constantly get used for big nights. I hate the people who don't want this music to get out.

:shittin:

mesh said:
I don't like the continuning determination of some to see this music splinter into further sub-genres/scenes that bear little or no resemblance to each other ... sort of a wilful destruction of the musical unity.

I am not against 'labels' because we need them to talk about music, and of course people will always have their preference of style. There is a lot of diversity out there at the moment, and I think once you stop checking all the styles you miss out on a shitload of fun new stuff automatically, stuff that may be really good and lead to new directions for all of us.

Bailey, Zinc and Friction are the main big names I can think of who are keeping the spectrum expanded in their choice of DJing, sure there are others (please name em)

On this forum I love mixes like that of DjAccess, Freeagent, Triple M (from Oct last year) cos they cross levels so nicely while retaining unique selection.

I love good MCs like SP, Eksman, Stamina and dislike ones who rabbit on like ... the usual suspects. I hate hammerheads who dis anything with a melody as fluffy, but I love my dark sounds forever. I like stupid fat wobbly basslines and tear-out doubledrops; but the drumfunk/dubwise fusion has done more for my faith that any other form recently. I don't mind staunch but don't get in my face cunt, just let everyone have the space.

I hate that one of the main dNb promoters in Melbourne keeps putting fucking breaks DJs in the dNb room. 33 and 1/3 get it together, you just might do something for the scene here. I hate that there is not a good weekly night, or even a monthly for that matter. I hate the fact that electro is bigger than dNb in the clubs. I hate the two venues that constantly get used for big nights. I hate the people who don't want this music to get out.

Word

take a look at the sig I made. I loathe MC's. Yeah yeah, there are a few MCs that are ok, but in true honesty, i would rather not hear anyone. Nothing more annoying then to hear your favorite tune being ruined by a horrible MC. If i wanted to hear an MC, id listen to Hip Hop

A crap MC can make an average night suck ass.
A good MC can make a terrific night even better.

I had a chat with a great MC (P.A.T.) when I was at Clash of the Titans in Nighttown Rotterdam for Pendulum and Mampi Swift, and he had the following to say about all of this: "A good MC knows when to shut the hell up."

Oh, and by the way, is it just me or does some of this anti-MC talk have disturbingly racist undertones?

Word to ya mumz.

Edit: typo.

KalleKannibal said:
Oh, and by the way, is it just me or does some of this anti-MC talk have disturbingly racist undertones?

Where do you get that from? My only guess is when people call out these fake MC's for acting jamaican or gangsta. Thats not being racist, thats just pointing out the fact that these people think they are from another culture when they are not. Whats real in all that?

Hmm, maybe it was a bad call on my part, twas just a feeling I had. I totally agree with the point that faking it is weak. Believe me, I´ve seen my fair share of people who are.... generally confused in terms of culture. But since when is being gangsta a national culture? And what has it got to do with Jamaica?

Toez: I´m a dumb foreigner, so I didn´t understand ya. But I´ve never mc´ed in my life, so I didn´t feel targeted by the criticism, if that´s what you meant.

KalleKannibal said:
"

Word to ya mumz.

Edit: typo.

WHAT!! dont be stupid its not about whether the MC is black, white, green or fucking orange its about them talking shit when they should be on the dance floor with us enjoying the BEATZ!

@ lokki: "Its about the music! Not about the lyrics." Too true! I had teh misfortune of going to battle of the mc's at coronet. they had funktion one set up so badly all you could hear was too much bass and the MC's. I left within an hour or so...
The only other type of music i know of that does something close to that is garage or grime or whatever u wanna call it. being all about the MC's. i really hope dnb doesnt come to that because to be honest as a DJ i cant stand to hear an MC ruining otherwise a decent set. Example, Friction @ Transmission "blessed" by Skiba and Fearless, who havent written any new shit since god knows when! Which leads me nicely onto my main gripe at dnb atm

DJ and MCs who dont put any effort into thereshit!

Fair enough theyve created a closed ciruit of DJs who do the raves (big raves at least) but these guys dont put enough effort into there mixing or MC for the status they are at! IF you wanna keep it to yourselves n not let enough new talent through ppl will eventally get fed up. Mampi althought a sick dj who will tear a dancefloor any time and place any where, his set is predictable same with andy.

So many up and coming DJs are coming up with stuff twice as good as andy or hype but they dont get recognized because they aint got 3 "anthems" ready to drop to some record label.

oh well, shit comes n goes,

my 2 cents

KalleKannibal said:
generally confused in terms of culture. But since when is being gangsta a national culture? And what has it got to do with Jamaica?
culture isnt strictly defined in terms of just nationality. It's a broad term that can basically encompass any set of individuals that share the same beliefs, likes, desires, etc..As for gangsta or jamaican, the terminology used by today's dnb mc's are derived from jamaican artists. Go pick up some old soundclash mixes or dancehall cds from the 1960s-1980s and you will know what I mean.

Last edited:
About the racism thing, im feelin that, its like people want dnb to lose its original culture,i,e, danchall toasting,ragga etc, and progress/transform into a fast paced synth filled techno influenced sound, without any mcs,
Thus making it i hate to use this term, "white peoples dancemusic", like techno house, prog trance, etc
if dnb were to lose its mcs/ mc vocal tracks, it would be more familiar to one of these styles than ragga, or reggae.
Maybe this is caused by dnbs vast audiences being of middleclass white culture and canot relate to the dnb they hear with mcs, and all the gangsta type shit, so crave a more typical sound as their preferred dance music>? :gimp: maybe im ranting>?i like the point it has made me realise thu thanks

Ol Skee said:
culture isnt strictly defined in terms of just nationality. It's a broad term that can basically encompass any set of individuals that share the same beliefs, likes, desires, etc..As for gangsta or jamaican, the terminology used by today's dnb mc's are derived from jamaican artists. Go pick up some old soundclash mixes or dancehall cds from the 1960s-1980s and you will know what I mean.

I know the definition of culture, that´s why I specified "national" culture when talking about "Jamaican", as in one of the types of culture. I feel a bit stupid though - it seems as if "gangsta" is a jungle genre as in gangster rap (I didn´t know) but I thought you referred to "gangsta" in its original sense, as in criminal / thug / hoodlum / whathaveyou. And in that, connecting "Jamaican" and "criminal".

Interesting discussion though. When it comes down to what Daky is talking about, I think you nail it when you´re talking about what people can RELATE to. Maybe white middleclass kids have a hard time identifying with afro-caribbean culture?

Sine-tek: Of course I know parts of this discussion is wether an MC should shut up or not. But theres other issues in here as well, such as culture.

daky said:
About the racism thing, im feelin that, its like people want dnb to lose its original culture,i,e, danchall toasting,ragga etc, and progress/transform into a fast paced synth filled techno influenced sound, without any mcs,

Um... I think that happened a very long time ago and was deliberate on the side of djs and producers. Most dnb doesn't have vocals or mcs (whether live or album).

I like vocals and mcs on amen tracks and love to drop ragga... then again I also like tracks without them. Its all good...

duncan said:
i appreciate that certain mcs are fucking annoying and can wreck a set but they are around because there is demand for them. You just have to find mcs you do like and be more selective with the events you go to. If i see a flyer for MC convention, i'm not gonna go but there are plenty of people that will and thats their choice/problem.

Having said that, there are few things more annoying than djing out while some cunt is tryna spit 200 words per minute. out of time. during a mix. saying "turn up the mic!" every 10 secs. :shabba: :antitank:

Mate you have got this one sorted. I moved to London 5 years ago fro a number of reasons. one was so that I could be more selective and go out more regularly to listen to music that I really wanted to hear, Drum and Bass being the priority. Music is definately the key word here. if you dont like mcs dont go to an event where you know theres going to be a load.

Be selective, Im bang on going to smaller clubs that kick at 3am on a Friday and have only had one or if not any mcs at all.

I dont think you can justify whining about it if you are making the choice to go out and listen to 58 blokes screaming for glory.

Some may say "well its about travelling" and "its all we get up here" It isnt. Its not like that anymore. guarenteed if you are prepared to travel to go to a big party then you are prepared to travel to find what you really want to hear and its out there for you. Listen to local pirate, find out where the good djs are playing and I assue you will have a better night. Hell i moved from my home town and left all my friends to do it and I havent looked back since, made excellent friends etc and I dont even go to fabric anymore coz I know that after looking, i can find something else that may not be a big and reputable as Fabric but its a better night all round.

This is only my opinion people and I could go on for hours, but I'll stop and await any responses should fell any neccesary.

It is a forum after all

KalleKannibal said:
I know the definition of culture, that´s why I specified "national" culture when talking about "Jamaican", as in one of the types of culture. I feel a bit stupid though - it seems as if "gangsta" is a jungle genre as in gangster rap (I didn´t know) but I thought you referred to "gangsta" in its original sense, as in criminal / thug / hoodlum / whathaveyou. And in that, connecting "Jamaican" and "criminal".

Interesting discussion though. When it comes down to what Daky is talking about, I think you nail it when you´re talking about what people can RELATE to. Maybe white middleclass kids have a hard time identifying with afro-caribbean culture?

Sine-tek: Of course I know parts of this discussion is wether an MC should shut up or not. But theres other issues in here as well, such as culture.
yeah i see what u mean. i hope thats not what i was implying. My what a thread!

Perhaps there is more than one 'cultural' reason why people don't like MCs...
I know there is a group out there who would never have enjoyed MCing outside the drum'n'bass scene (ie hip-hop or dancehall), and so don't want it in dNb either. maybe the 'vast audiences of middleclass whites' daky mentioned. (And I don't mean if you are middleclass white you are not real, so deal.) Its just that they come from a different place, and that influences what you like/identify with.

Then maybe there's others (like me) who have always loved MC culture, and its interaction with dNb. But we don't like MCs who believe that you can't have a good night without them shouting bollocks.

Its always been a testosterone fuelled scene; look at the shit Hospital had to put up with when they started trying for distribution ('we don't release gay dNb'), or Bukem's period of isolation in the late 90s. Always like to see ourselves as ahead, underground, real and raw. So it becomes a battle for prestige, which becomes measured by how hard you are, and mixed up with the general bullshit of life where people fight and make a mess.

I think a lot of MCing can exacerbate this, its a focal point for young generally pissed-off guys, abusing the fuck out of drugs like coke and meth and alcohol; listening to music with one point, to get charged right up, and lyrics with one point, to be the top man.

When I was younger I was angry and listened to MCs as well, but the type of MCing I listened to (Ice Cube, Chuck D, Ultramags, Tribe called Quest) was conscious political shit that actually made me think about how the world worked and what can be done. It politicised me. I don't see that happening much anymore. I mean I know dNb is about the party and we don't wanna hear about politics when we're partying, but it seems a bit hollow. Kids aren't being offered any solution except to try to assert their influence with force and no brains.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that dNb does not exist in a vacuum, is is influenced by the world around us and if there's problems with violence and attitude it can be as much a symptom of society's direction at this time, as much as the state of the mucis

heh ... mucis.

sorry if I sound like an old bastard whinging about the scene being fucked up, cos I believe its in a good state in many ways.

I hear you on the conscious front. I think there´s way too many people that regard dnb and the dance scene just as a form of escapism. It´s incredibly powerful though, and that energy should really be used to up the volume and shout something that matters, spit something about your world (Instead of just budhabudhabudha. Religious? Dunno.) Dnb should get dangerous in a real way.

I guess you´re an old bastard, but you come across as the old wise one speaking knowledge and inspiring resistance. Morpheus, in a way. Just older. :mkay:

Back
Top Bottom