Pure hate...

Indi said:
I'm dead against rewinds, I think that they spoil the flow of the night. I mean, if you listen to any Andy C live sets, he always rewinds the first track, WTF!?! Unessential. If you want to chill the crowd out for a bit, change up the flow, then throw something a bit downtempo or mix in some hiphop or something. Rewinds are the fucking bane of my life

dunno man, if there's a track that absolutely smacks it (especially if its brand new) a rewind can be spot on. it also gives the dj a chance to double drop/tease in another one if you like that friction/andy style. I reckon the problem comes when they are over used, a rewind should at most be used a couple of times a set and only when the crowd calls it. Its not really about chilling the crowd, if anything raises the atmosphere imo.

duncan said:
dunno man, if there's a track that absolutely smacks it (especially if its brand new) a rewind can be spot on. it also gives the dj a chance to double drop/tease in another one if you like that friction/andy style. I reckon the problem comes when they are over used, a rewind should at most be used a couple of times a set and only when the crowd calls it. Its not really about chilling the crowd, if anything raises the atmosphere imo.

1 or 2 is okay. but that never happens does it?

Indi said:
I'm dead against rewinds, I think that they spoil the flow of the night. I mean, if you listen to any Andy C live sets, he always rewinds the first track, WTF!?! Unessential. If you want to chill the crowd out for a bit, change up the flow, then throw something a bit downtempo or mix in some hiphop or something. Rewinds are the fucking bane of my life
Aw man but if its a sicko mix like a mampi mix then its gotta be spun back.

$marty_B said:
Aw man but if its a sicko mix like a mampi mix then its gotta be spun back.

I'm sticking to my ideals man. Rewinds, for me anyways, stop the flow of a good setup. See for me I get into the motion of where the night is going, not off one particular tune, but a succession of several tunes that were pieced well together, if some rewinds a track in the middle of a cracking chain, that's spoils it, the chink in the chain is there, if only for a moment, and when they do stop the track, all you can hear is the MC babbling some shit, when all I want to do is dance. I can live with a rewind or two if the track is standout or if the DJ is playing a fucking blinder, but I really do think they are unnecessary. Plus it sounds ugly as shit. But that's just my two pennies.

my gripe: a bunch of people up at the front of the floor dancing, and then some fool pushes his way in front of us and stands there in the way not moving. not even moving his head or making any noise; just standing there in the fucking way.

REWINDS & MCs

:soap_box:

I bet these 2 get brought up every time as well. But no one listens.

Rewinds: When the tune kicks in first time round I get it. It's not f#cking rocket science. I'm there. I'm havin it. It's all good... Rewinds are offensive and patronising they must be some hideous influence from a lesser form of music like commercial R&B or something. Junglists are NOT idiots. We don't need to be told twice!

MCs: When I listen to D&B at home there's no MCs. It's f#cking great! Especially with the quality of production these days. Then you go out... It's the same tunes but something's not quite right... HANG ON! There's some talentless, egocentric loser, trying to make up for the fact he's never satisfied a woman and doing it by vomiting, inane, cliched, gibberish over tunes that are quite the opposite. THERE'S NO NEED FOR YOU ANY MORE MCs! SHUT THE F#CK UP! LISTEN! D&B TODAY IS AWESOME! AND IT WILL GET EVEN BETTER AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR F#CKING MOUTHS SHUT!

WE JUST WANT TO DANCE CONTINUOUSLY, RELENTLESSLY, UN-INTERUPTED AND UNCORRUPTED!

Last edited:
Clawmonkey said:
REWINDS & MCs

I bet these 2 get brought up every time as well. But no one listens.

Rewinds: When the tune kicks in first time round I get it. It's not f#cking rocket science. I'm there. I'm havin it. It's all good... Rewinds are offensive and patronising they must be some hideous influence from a lesser form of music like commercial R&B or something. Junglists are NOT idiots. We don't need to be told twice!

MCs: When I listen to D&B at home there's no MCs. It's f#cking great! Especially with the quality of production these days. Then you go out... It's the same tunes but something's not quite right... HANG ON! There's some talentless, egocentric loser, trying to make up for the fact he's never satisfied a woman and doing it by vomiting, inane, cliched, gibberish over tunes that are quite the opposite. THERE'S NO NEED FOR YOU ANY MORE MCs! SHUT THE F#CK UP! LISTEN! D&B TODAY IS AWESOME! AND IT WILL GET EVEN BETTER AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR F#CKING MOUTHS SHUT!

WE JUST WANT TO DANCE CONTINUOUSLY, RELENTLESSLY, UN-INTERUPTED AND UNCORRUPTED!

I'm not quite on that level of feeling on this MC/rewind topic, but beautifully put all the same.

This is clearly a very anti Mc forum..

I think that really ~MC's need to evvolve a lot in order to encompass the new styles of dnb which are musically a lot different from the times of the birth of MCing and ..

ie back then the tunes were more basic and required or at least worked well with an MC hypin up and fillin' the tune....

I still think MC's work in the live setting but there has been an influx of shite MC's recently...

in fact i think more than 2 in a line up for an event is too much!

I love unique Mc's such as Dynamite, Fearless, Darrison, Cleveland Watkiss, Conrad, SP, Armani Reign etc etc...

i am not a fan of Skibba, Shabba etc etc and there five million strong army of wannabes that rep at every 2 bit event around the world!

so to sum up...

yeah people need to qualify to be up on a mic cos dont get it wrong, peeps are NOT there to see the MC!

just know your place u bloody Mc's, :who_wants you!

Last edited:
lokki said:
MC's need to evolve a lot in order to encompass the new styles of dnb which are musically a lot different from the times of the birth of MCing....

I hear you on that one.

I've been out to events where vocals are being used live, with artist like Jamie Lidell and even Exile, who pretty much build a tune around vocals they yell/scream/shout/sing into the mic. I've heard Jamie Lidell make a tune that he's created purely out of vocal samples he's sung into the mic there and then. Looping and f#cking with them using all sorts of FX.

MCs need to open there mind up and try and broaden what can be achieved by MCing. Push the boundaries. Stop being so traditional. Tradition sucks! The technology is there and MCs need to embrace it and more importantly Junglists need to stop accepting this half-assed, out-dated rubbish we have to put up with and demand more! We are being sold short by the scene and it needs up dating. I welcome the new generation of MCs. MCs who care about the progression of our music not how cool everyone will think they are just coz they're a gangster wannabee!

all i can say is.... emcees ruin sets! i mean it sounds cool for a lil bit sometimes but then through the whole set it gets annoying and ok for an example, a recent evol intent mix had sick ass beats but lame ass emcee trying to flow over it. no we are not boom bastic, we dont want a rewind cuz we just heard it, we are tired of your big ups and props that you already mentioned and last but not least , you are not jamaican lol im with whoever said " listen & shut the fuck up"! :twitch:

WE JUST WANT TO DANCE CONTINUOUSLY, RELENTLESSLY, UN-INTERUPTED AND UNCORRUPTED![/QUOTE]

yes mate perfectly put, was recently at a large free party pounding out techno, the crowd were loving it. i am going to the glade festival no dnb cus the organisers think it promotes a bad crowd,(prob due to the rude bwoi gangsa mc wannabees vomiting down the mike)

sine-tek said:

yes mate perfectly put, was recently at a large free party pounding out techno, the crowd were loving it. i am going to the glade festival no dnb cus the organisers think it promotes a bad crowd,(prob due to the rude bwoi gangsa mc wannabees vomiting down the mike)[/QUOTE]

trueness :missile:

sine-tek said:
yes mate perfectly put, was recently at a large free party pounding out techno, the crowd were loving it. i am going to the glade festival no dnb cus the organisers think it promotes a bad crowd,(prob due to the rude bwoi gangsa mc wannabees vomiting down the mike)

I know exactly what you mean, because of way mcs act around, everyone must think we all are a bunch of gun toting gangsta wannabe crackhead bad rappers, what the fuck do they think this is, UK Garage?

sine-tek said:

I know exactly what you mean, because of way MCs act around, everyone must think we all are a bunch of gun toting gangsta wannabe crackhead bad rappers, what the fuck do they think this is, UK Garage? This scene would be perfect if it wans't for the MCs.

OK I dont have many problems with drum & bass but one of them is Mix CD's such as "Fastlane 2" where a label asks a DJ to mix tracks released on that label. DJ's should turn down the wedge and stick to mixing what tunes -they- want to mix. I seriously doubt Friction mixed this off the top of his head, look at the tracklist:

01. Special K - Danger (Generation Dub Remix)
02. Psychosis - Freefall (Distorted Minds Remix)
03. Probe & Sylo - Drums Like This
04. Supply & Demand - Shifting Gears (Zen Remix)
05. Drumsound & Bassline Smith - A Pole Dancer Called Eternity
06. Baron - Final Answer
07. Unicorn - Orions Five
08. TK - Inspector Gadget
09. Total Science - Quicksilver
10. Alpha Omega - Klash VIP
11. DJ Friction & Nu Balance - Final Judgement
12. Probe & Sylo - Rhythmic Culture
13. HoldTight & EBK - Hard Focus
14. Lynx & Fatal - Going Out Of My Mind
15. Sonic & Silver - Generation Dub
16. Visionary - Nation 2 Nation
17. DJ Friction & Nu Balance - Fully Loaded
18. Cybin - Daywalker
19. Spor - Insecticde
20. Lemon D Feat. Eskobar - What Bass

I'm sorry but when you give your DJ a wider selection of tracks to work with (i.e. Big Bad Bass 2) the CD ends up MUCH better, this is just a waste of time really - it doesn't actually go anywhere!

I think part of the object of Mix CD's on general release is to get new people into the sound, and showing middle-of-the-road tracks picked by a label boss isn't going to do the trick.

The thing is, any one, two or three of these tracks would work well in a set combined with other stuff... but after an hour it just gets on the nerves.

mISHKA said:
OK I dont have many problems with drum & bass but one of them is Mix CD's such as "Fastlane 2" where a label asks a DJ to mix tracks released on that label. DJ's should turn down the wedge and stick to mixing what tunes -they- want to mix. I seriously doubt Friction mixed this off the top of his head, look at the tracklist:

01. Special K - Danger (Generation Dub Remix)
02. Psychosis - Freefall (Distorted Minds Remix)
03. Probe & Sylo - Drums Like This
04. Supply & Demand - Shifting Gears (Zen Remix)
05. Drumsound & Bassline Smith - A Pole Dancer Called Eternity
06. Baron - Final Answer
07. Unicorn - Orions Five
08. TK - Inspector Gadget
09. Total Science - Quicksilver
10. Alpha Omega - Klash VIP
11. DJ Friction & Nu Balance - Final Judgement
12. Probe & Sylo - Rhythmic Culture
13. HoldTight & EBK - Hard Focus
14. Lynx & Fatal - Going Out Of My Mind
15. Sonic & Silver - Generation Dub
16. Visionary - Nation 2 Nation
17. DJ Friction & Nu Balance - Fully Loaded
18. Cybin - Daywalker
19. Spor - Insecticde
20. Lemon D Feat. Eskobar - What Bass

I'm sorry but when you give your DJ a wider selection of tracks to work with (i.e. Big Bad Bass 2) the CD ends up MUCH better, this is just a waste of time really - it doesn't actually go anywhere!

I think part of the object of Mix CD's on general release is to get new people into the sound, and showing middle-of-the-road tracks picked by a label boss isn't going to do the trick.

The thing is, any one, two or three of these tracks would work well in a set combined with other stuff... but after an hour it just gets on the nerves.

At the end of the day thought he was paid by TOV to mix their tracks for a TOV showcase CD for the general (non vinyl buying demographic so you got to expect that all the tracks are gonna be chosen by TOV....

If he wanted to put out his own CD that'd be different....

$marty_B said:
been to any mc conventions recently lok? :D

haha....

I just think that dnb isnt hip hop y'know!

Its about the music! Not about the lyrics.

MC's are part of dnb but IMO MC's are there as a secondary aspect to the music. And should now be thinking about how there style might need to evelove to cope with the changing sound of dnb1

Afte al take Skibba for example, that man has been spittin the same lyrics since day 1! And the music has completetly changed in many respects. He needs to take stock and think about evloving his styles to compliment the new sounds!

I would if i was an MC....

lokki said:
haha....

I just think that dnb isnt hip hop y'know!

Its about the music! Not about the lyrics.

MC's are part of dnb but IMO MC's are there as a secondary aspect to the music. And should now be thinking about how there style might need to evelove to cope with the changing sound of dnb1

Afte al take Skibba for example, that man has been spittin the same lyrics since day 1! And the music has completetly changed in many respects. He needs to take stock and think about evloving his styles to compliment the new sounds!

I would if i was an MC....
cudnt agree with u more (y)

Back
Top Bottom