Punchy Sub bass

duckstep

As title says im looking on tips to get a more "punchy" sub bass.

I have read alot of tutorials on eqing and i understand the basics of it. But even with eq filtering and compression i cant get that punchy sound that i want, the sub is meant to be feeled but it sounds more like a low frequence tone when i do it.

Example of the kind of sub i want

How my sounds

Help appreciated!

It's partly to do with a very quick pitch down at the start of the note that will give a kick like feel to it then Taylor it to your personal taste.

I've found the using a light, frequency cutoff controlled overdrive plugin (I use Logic's stock overdrive plug) before the EQ chain (that removes all that unwanted hi-end and clicky nonsense) really beefs up the sub. It helps out with those real low notes that sometimes require a little extra boost of harmonics. Don't over do it on the drive settings, just add enough to hear a slight difference.

As previously mentioned, I EQ the hell out of my sub–an agressive hi-cut (with a mild rolloff) down to around 80-99Hz depending upon the key the track is written in. You'll find that getting rid of those attenuated hi frequencies and using an aggressive hi-cut will "sharpen" the sub nicely but adding a pleasant resonance.

I'll also do some EQ cutting with the Kick and the Sub so that they play well with each other. If I find that they're still clashing, I'll use a very light amount of sidechain compression.

Cheers.

Struggled for a long time trying to get a punchy sub bass sound. Finally got there when I bought a hard synth, One sinewave and I've already got a meaty sub.

Massive is shit for "sub" bass, it's great for character and movement, i always layer up anything made in massive. Sub bass = sine...

If you want it punchy, turn your attack down, it will make it punch.

layer ur bass with a nice 808 club kick... increase the attack on the envelope so it fades in and the release so it fades out.. obviously eq and and everything to fit it in but this also brings your bass out of the mix

Getting your sub punchy can be done in lots of ways, careful tweeking of the Volume and Filter envelopes, and very careful compression, watch your pitch bends aswell, they can be used to great effect to get a big Boom. too much compression will suck the punch out, careful compression will make it kick like a drum. its all about practice really. Simple sine + careful envelopes + careful compression = punchy sub (on any synth)

Ive used a couples TBK filter on a high resonance and then adjusted the cutoffs to really hit the sweet spot of the root note and the higher pitched notes, makes for a weighty sub in seconds. Not necessarily used for a punchy sub but still a nice trick.

I messed around a bit with envelopes but i still dont like the result im getting:

Is that it or am i doing it wrong?
scaled.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Ive tried many things with massive and just can't seem to get it perfect. I got it to a "good enough" point, but its just not warm and Theres too much character no matter what i do. I tried sylenth too. . . . forget that! I know analog is probably the way to go, but whats the best soft synth for subs???

i hate massive for sub. everyone is basically saying the same thing tho, look up a glitch mob sub bass tutorial for massive, although massive isnt great for subs, itll give you the general idea on how pitch ups can help. i like to use FL's stock 3x osc and changing the envelope to fast attack and very very little release + layer with a kick as mentioned before

Back
Top Bottom