Punchy Kicks

Discussion in 'Production' started by TinnitusD&B, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TinnitusD&B

TinnitusD&B Member

I'm having difficulty getting a really nice punch in my kicks. I'm layering kicks and cutting what I don't want and boosting what I do etc but I still aren't getting the results I would like.

Would anyone like to share any tips that they use to process/layer their kicks?

Cheers guys!

2. JAGZ

JAGZ Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion, the 'punchiness' of a kick comes from different areas in the frequency spectrum and they are more important to deliver impact from the hit than the layering per say.

A weighty low end that covers a generous region of the spectrum, generally 80hz-200hz but that's not an exact figure, will provide a nice amount of bass for that area.

The snap of the drum gives a fullness to the sound and this is from the top end, around the 1000khz - 10000khz.

Try using a transient shaper to bring all drums, not just kicks, to life. Multiband trainsient shapers are available for more detailed control. Also, sharp pitch drops can bring out transients as well, like pitch bending a hit 12 semitones for 5 ms will be so fast that it won't be an audible pitch drop but give a snap at the initial impact.

Hope that helps a bit mate!

WhoSayReload? likes this.
  3. TinnitusD&B

TinnitusD&B Member

Yeah thanks man. Its hard trying to figure this stuff out for yourself as you can imagine. I often use transient shapers too but never on kicks actually so i'll give that a try.

4. JAGZ

JAGZ Well-Known Member

Your welcome mate, its practice + trial an error most of the time...check out the Masterclass thread for some pro tutorials, its a sticky in this section of the forum.

5. TinnitusD&B

TinnitusD&B Member

Yeah definitely practice and time spent producing. You're not going to have sick kicks after only a couple of years haha. A long way to go yet...

6. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

You need to balance the overall tone of your kick, specially when layering. Depending on the samples used, you will need to give a boost or the opposite in the sub area (for example if it sound too boomy), definitely clean the 250hz area (muddiness area) and find the sweet spot for the "click" of the sound as well and take good care of it. Compression, reverb (without any slapback) and you're good to go.

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Samples come from somewhere peeps ....

8. peterfiction

peterfiction Member

Part of having a punchy kick is getting it to sit in the right area in the frequency spectrum (this differs on an individual sample basis) so play around with the pitch of your kick samples
    use multiband dynamics if you need to so you can sculpt the decay individual frequency bands of your kicks, making the low end tight can give some perceived punch
    cut below about 60hz and boots the click/beater head around 2-6k
    make sure if your layering your kick with another that they are phase aligned (also i know its been said a million times but make sure your kick is mono)

you might already be doing some or all of this so forgive me if i'm just reiterating basic shit

9. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

choose 1 good kick sample, sorted :)

punch of a kick depends as much on the mix as a whole, as it does on the kick itself, if the mix isn't balanced, the kick wont be punchy - once its balanced, then careful compression of the drum bus will help give it a bit more punch

but you cant get a kick punchy if the original sample isn't punchy in the first place, and you will never get a kick big and fat if the mix isn't properly balanced

Sulihin and JAGZ like this.
  10. Inkognit

Inkognit Member

Try multiband transient shaping and parallel compression techniques

11. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Yeah what miszt said. It's all contrast

12. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

to add to what's already been mentioned, if you're layering kick samples up make sure they're tuned to each other correctly.

13. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

that was a really good tutorial.

I'm trying to replicate it in synthmaster because I don't own massive, and I'm finding the best way to account for the weird bit he does at the beginning with the amp is just to do the whole tutorial without it (which means no click on the kick) then after done render out and chop off the front of the kick right in the middle of the wave. Working with the rendered audio is a lot better for drums, it seems, there's just a lot you can't do in synths