Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?

naranja

So how can i make those punchy kicks and SNARES:not_worth
sound like BILLAIN,AEPH,SPOR,MAZTEK ???
please can u guys tell me more about this kind of production style ?
is it posible to do that just on pc without any hardware ?
any tips?

btw,im reason 3.0 user.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=ASDB4H

In the folder *Construction Tracks* there's the subfolders; Fully Functional, Germs and Reece Rinse. Should be what you're looking for.

BTW, you can't return once you've broken the seal, so I wouldn't go straight out and get it. Find a way of retrieving it from a friend or whatever and listen to them. It's all about layering and EQing each separate kick and snare too.

It could be quite hard it reason because it involves layering up hits which means you have to make sure the transients are layered together properly. I usually do this by lining up the changes in the waveform then fine tuning by ear.

Basically, find a snare with a nice big punch around the 200-250Hz region eq into the resonant freq's around there, get a snare with nice acoustic tone and cut all the LF which could interfere with the original snare. The find another snare with a nice release, EQ them all together making sure their transients are aligned.

Use envelopes to get them all to sit nicely together and then compress them as one to get the attack and to smooth out the release.

Kicks can be treated in a similar manner, but it's not always neccesary.

i find i rarely layer different snares, i process the one snare, make 3 or 4 of them with the different qualities. its easier than you think, and there are many different techniques but i find envelopes and distortion more effective for punchy snares and kicks than transient shaping with compression. unless you have a nice hardware compressor like the TLS

Most of us just overuse compression. And if you use it without some planning you'll end up taking out the the punch more than emphasizing it. But once you have a nice squashed sound, mix it in with the original. or adjust the attack up so that the hit gets a new transient.

Also, dont be afraid to have high sounds in your bass kick or low sounds in your snare, good bottom puts real character around a snare hit. Also making a beat roll with a fuzzy kick can be satisfying sometimes.

for a simpler more beginner friendly approach to eq'ing your drum hits start of with decent kick and snare samples first off, remember you cant polish a turd. Apply an EQ to your Kick and boost it around 80-100hz play around to get the right frequency to boost it depends of the original sample you are using. Then do the same for your snare eq'ing around between 180-250hz, again it really depends on the original sample. You should notice that the samples have more punch to them after you boost these frequencies. Once thats done you can go about layering other snares and kicks atop of the originals with subtle eq-ing and effects. I think from your point of view it sounds like you probably dont want to know about the compression and transient alighnment stuff yet just how to get them sounding phatter, once you happy with doing that the next stage would be to start enveloping and using compression, but first of all make sure you are confortable with boosting the corrent frequencies for your base beat samples.

start off with a good sample then process an eq till u get the sound u want

i find i rarely layer different snares, i process the one snare, make 3 or 4 of them with the different qualities. its easier than you think, and there are many different techniques but i find envelopes and distortion more effective for punchy snares and kicks than transient shaping with compression. unless you have a nice hardware compressor like the TLS

Yeah, this way would probably be the easiest way of doing things provided you've got a good initial starting point, it means would can create the elements you want, (punch, release, high end snap, etc.) without having to worry about conflicting frequencies and transient mapping.

Back
Top Bottom