Pump/Bump House synth

Boooke

Hey, I've tried to figure this synth out. It's being used in pretty much every "bump/pump" house track, so maybe some of you have heard and tried it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsTBRWAnw7Y&feature=BFa&list=PLC086FF880EAB74EF&lf=plpp_video

Reminds me of an generic garage bassline-synth with some brosound in it. I began trying experiementing with squarewaves and saws, slightly more wet (and small-sized) reverb and some detuning, but I ended up with something completely different (yet useful). I hope somebody can help me out, thank you.

Regards,
Boooke

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it is the lead synth I am interested in.

Last edited:
Hm.. If i would try to make a replica out of this synth I probably would make a sampler instrument out of some similar sounding percussionsample... Witch sounds like some pipe or something. Reverb it up and make it large then just pitch it around. Thats what it sounds like in my ears!

there is a tutorial on youtube. its called a 'donk' bass. i tried to watch it to help u but all i could understand from the guys broken english is its 3 sine waves lol

there is a tutorial on youtube. its called a 'donk' bass. i tried to watch it to help u but all i could understand from the guys broken english is its 3 sine waves lol

Oh, I haven't been able to find any tutorial anywhere. But as far as I know, the synthesized version is all about sines (Now that I've read about it). Thanks for the name, by the way. I did not know it was called a 'donk' bass. And it seems more popular and wide-spread than I thought. Before I only heard about it in this much heavier russian pumping-house... But you can pretty much enter every song out there in youtube and write "Donk remix/bass" afterwards, and you will find it remixed with a similar sound, lol.

Hm.. If i would try to make a replica out of this synth I probably would make a sampler instrument out of some similar sounding percussionsample... Witch sounds like some pipe or something. Reverb it up and make it large then just pitch it around. Thats what it sounds like in my ears!

That is quite true, I guess. I read pretty much anywhere it is impossible to make a perfect-sounding 'donk' with an synth. The reason for this, someone replied, was that the original is a heavily processed sample of some guy beating a kettle (Or something similar)... I gotta take my sample processing more seriously :D

I found these while searching the stuff. Not sure if it will help you but they do contain samples with the synth you're looking for.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ymgmwzfi4nr

Thank you very much! So far I'm gonna experiement with those samples, I think.

Though I'm amazed how wide-spread this sound is, and I've never heard it before now.

seriously???

its heavily used in the uk as part of the 'bounce', 'scouse' house or 'clubland' genre. cheesey as fuck genre. glad its dyin a death. the tutorial im on bout does recreate a pretty good donk sound. i used to have various donk samples but deleted them

I have heard about scouse house - supposed to be a maniac drug scene, as far as I have heard. Everything in moderation, but Id might try these samples out in some similar/donkish tune. Though, after hearing another four or five tracks of this genre, it kind of sounded very much alike.

a few of my m8s make donk music. theres loadsa donk samples around. its not a drug fuelled scene... just a joke scene fulla whoppers on steds n drinkin lager. its a northern thing mainly. its ajoke scene not to be taken seriously, a bit like happy hardcore

yeah, pretty much echoing the rest of these guys saying it's a donk. I've got no idea how to make one but I imagine you could get a similar sound by pitching some sort of mallet instrument way down.

Sorry, I was without internet for a whole week. Thank you very much for the samples. I did actually get close to the sound with two sines and a daft filter with a lot of resonance in NI Massive (And some other kinds of modulation that I don't remember). Something I made way back ago on my older laptop - just if anyone is interested. Though I am unable to fetch the patch atm.

Back
Top Bottom