DnB Psychoholic - Skyrmion

Uploaded to Soundcloud since either you guys had nothing to say about this track which I highly doubt or you guys did not want to open that Zippyshare URL.

Creepy! D:

This needs some more work on the mixdown. For example the drums are very low in volume and the stabby lead synth is pretty much taking over everything witch makes the track to sound quite empty when it isn't playing.

The bass sounds nice, would like to hear some more of it tho :) keep it up man!

^^^I agree, the drums are way too soft and low in the mix and that melody synth is too high.

Could be a good tune if you work on it some more.

Creepy indeed :) Like the detuned lead !

Even before reading other peoples comments I had thought your drums are too low, so +1 on that. That lead is already out quite wide in the mix so there's room to bring your bass up in volume. The bass is downing out the kick though at the sub, you might want to sidechain/EQ the bass around the kick a little.

I like your ending, pretty original :)

Here's a link to a really good doc written by a guy called Nick Thomas about mixing, if it helps (I'm still learning too! But it helped me allot) - http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/02/23/guidetomixing/# (scroll down a little for the download link)

Thanks lasieen, not to sure if the bass is really to low maybe it sits to low in frequency cause my subwoofer makes the complete house shake (REL Quake MK2) maybe its just not prominent enough in higher frequencies and without a sub that can go so deep you can't really hear it. Any idea's what I should do with this ? Cause i'm in love with this really low sub that makes my cilia vibrate.

I'd still say there was room for a bit of a volume increase. I can switch my monitors off and turn my sub up to full and still it doesn't shake the room (which it should at that volume). I realise though you say this is unmastered and the levels are a little bit lower generally on the track than I would expect, but even allowing for that I'd say you could increase the volume still. Also, this might be Captain obvious but make sure you have positioned/calibrated your sub as best you can, if not you run the risk that your sub is louder or quieter than it should be. The other way is simply to reference (which i try to do allot), switch off your monitors and play a track from one of your favourite artists, then play your track and see how your sub volume compares (you have to be careful though to recognise your levels are still a bit low as it's unmastered, I use a cheap sound level meter to make sure, I aim for a monitoring level of around 85 db at peak).

The other thing you can do is to consider adding another synth and EQ it for the mid range (aiming for around 2K-6K ish but go with what sounds good and 'glued' together) to give you some more mids and layers, but that will change the sound/feel quite a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah thats alright nice tips on the sub i'm pretty sure its set up right but I've turned off the sub and your right the bass is still there but not prominent enough ! What i'm doing now is splitting the audio run 1 signal directly to the mixer (of the bass) and a copy of that signal through a distortion unit which barely has distortion but emphasizes on higher frequencies so that they become more prominent, combining those two makes the bass sit way better in the track but indeed I lose the kick in the bass so I side chained it and its way better now :) ! I'm going to EQ this and work on my mixing and I'll upload the new version when I'm done (it's indeed not mastered so it peaks at around -4dB).

Hey Psy :) Does sound better to me but I am only on the laptop so fairly crappy speakers atm. Will check it later and post if anythings amiss but doesn't seem like it. Like that you boosted the drums a fair bit and the lead doesn't seem quite so overpowering, good stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom