Drum & Bass Psychoholic - Different

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Psychoholic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Been a while since I dropped a new tune, I actually graduated last week so had quite some stuff going on.
    Since I was graduated I basically have shitloads of sparetime left and forth comes this track due to that.
    I hope you guys like it, and that you could drop me some feedback on this one!

Cheers!

2. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

I love the intro, expected something a little more at the drop though, it seems a bit mismatched. I like the drums when they progress later on with those nice shuffles but I think the main kick and snare could be better. The atmosphere is really cool tho I think you should build this track into something a little more substantial, more sweeping synths and pads and shit. Good work man

3. DrShenron

DrShenron New Member

Whoa. That drop man, reminds me of Ape Escape. I like it a lot.

4. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

quality tune (y)

5. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

nice work man - thought the maybe kick drum was a bit too loud though - or is coming through the mix too much?

edit - i think its my speakers lol

6. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I envy your abilities to make soundscapes. Loving the vibe here tho im not sure of the snare / clap thingy, its quite cool but perhaps it should be more reverbed and be more in the background-type of thing? Feels like it could be too sharp in the highs for a track like this imo.

Btw your sig is hypnotizing me D:

7. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

The picture in your signature is freakin me out man, haha.

Anyways, about the track. The intro is really nice; then we get to the drop. The transition in is a little cliche, but fair enough. The drop itself leaves a bit to be desired; right now it's somewhere between atmospheric and dance-y/high energy. So a lot of this commentary will depend on which direction you're wanting to go with the track. Also, I think you may've over done it a bit with the slides in the lead part; well, it would be OK, except you've repeated it many times over with no variation, so it gets kind of tired. Vocal sample is too loud, IMO. The drums could use a little TLC; I'd start there. For atmospheric stuff, you're headed in the right direction, but they could use a little more of something... I am not sure what exactly. If you're wanting a high energy kind of track, the kick&snare need to come up in volume and have more weight. Get the kick and snare sitting well, then match other elements to them. Add some more variation, perhaps. It seems like the sub part is eating up a lot of head room with the pulses every bar. I think that may be where you're losing impact for the track. You can even tell looking at the waveform why it feels low energy; you've got significant bursts every 4 bars with little pushes every two bars, but overall the whole thing slowly fades out over 4 bars. If you want to impart more energy, you'll want to have that going the other direction, constantly swelling into the next think. If you want to be more laid back, I'd change the leads out for something else entirely; bass and drums will work fine though. Also, I'd get rid of the 'drop' entirely; that is, just kind of work your way into the main body of the tune instead of having a build up to it. Otherwise you'll build up anticipation for a rush of energy that never comes. Hope this stimulates some ideas for you, overall not bad, just need some more cohesive vibes. Cheers

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Good track again psy, I do like your style of chilled out trippy dnb. I kinda see where Fortisimo is going in that you've got some high energy mixed with your trippy/chilled out stuff, I personally like it and hope you keep going with your own style, don't try too hard to go with a typical song structure imo as those long repeating trippy bits are your trademark ! :) Good stuff mate.

9. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Thanks a lot guys big up for all the useful feedback!

@Fortisimo excellent analysis mate your feedback is spot on ! Funny story with the drops leading to nothing, you should check out Headless Housefly from me and Trefox (https://soundcloud.com/midiz/psychoholic-trefox-headless) it has a buildup leading to mellow stuff I really like it though. Thanks mate.