Proton Satria GTi

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by soundgirl, Sep 18, 2006.

1. soundgirl

soundgirl Queen of the Stupids

i know it's a long shot, but does anybody here have any knowledge of/experience with this car? i'm going to look at this bad boy tomorrow:

[​IMG]

any comments positive/negative would be awesome.

2. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Your brave..this will have been abused to fuck -a cheap (ish) but fast car...how much ?

Hope I am worng and its a good car !! Goodluck...maybe this is just you trying to get boyfriends attnetion after the playstation thing ??!?!?!
    (y)

3. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i dont know anything about cars.

but i think it looks hot soundgirl. (y)

4. mesh

mesh Active Member

stedfast's right, it will have been thrashed a bit. get a check done maybe if you can, but dont just trust a test drive

5. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

that car looks fuckin sick makes me want one myself if i werent so hooked on how old skewl bmw's look!!! if i had a chance i would get one but as they said its gona be thrashed make sure they have kept good care of it and fixed all broken things if u end up buying it then take it for a service as soon as and dont go thrashing it, u want that to last, but all cars eventually die, totally depends how u drive and if u got money to fix broken things. imo i like it and would jump at the chance of owning one!

6. Dj_Fozzybear

Dj_Fozzybear Greenpiece Records

Thers a few things you can check just by eye to see if there is evidence of thrashing.
    First, check the drivers seat and floor mat for excessive wear which would indicate someone has sat in it a lot and also the mat shows how hard/often they used the pedals.
    Also check the tyre wear i.e. if it is even all over ok but if it has more wear on the outside edge then that is a sign of hard cornering.
    From the looks of it it is slammed low as well so if there are tyre scuffs under the arches that is a sign of hard cornering as well (which could mean excessive suspension use)
    Also (obvious one but hey) when you test drive it make sure you test the limits of it i.e. test the full lock steering both sides, do a few emergency stops to test the front suspension for groans etc. Start it let it tick over with no revs for a couple o minutes to hear any idle tickover groans etc. And give it some hard acceleration action to check the full spectrum of the engine and also the gear box under load.
    I hope this helps
    :bounce:

7. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Give me the details on any mods.

To be honest - would not touch a Malaysian car.

Quality (not Japs) & parts (expensive if it goes). If the price is low, then there is a good reason for it.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_8974.html

From what I've read, the engine isn't anything to write home about.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/P/proton/satriagti00-/satriagti00--relqual.html

If you want a bad boy hatch, get a Civic Type R or at least a S model. Quality build and the vtech engine is to be worshipped. More expensive for a reason.

A Corrolla with a VTI is also a good choice, so are the bad boy models of Clios and Meganes (but I would never buy a Renault again because of a very bad experience with an unlucky car).

Whatever you're buying, if the previous owner is a teenager or 20 something or in any way resembles Devo, don't buy it. He will have thrashed the car to the skin of its teeth (a careful and calm teenager does not buy a hot hatch). Suspension, clutch, gearbox and engine might have to be replaced soon (and if they have been replaced then you can bet that something else will go soon because the car has been abused).

8. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

i agree with Dustek, Protons aren't that great. Fine if you're a biddy intending to drive around at the speed limit but not if you want the car to be a bit of fun, it'll break. Civics are excellent but expensive when they break cos the parts have to be ordered in from Japan although Hondas are very reliable and breakage isn't usually an issue. if you want a compromise go for somethin European, Saxo VTS, Clio Sport, BMW 320i or a Golf GTi something of that sort of description. Try to bear in mind that French cars are built by French people (always puts me off) and German cars are built by Germans (see previous). i'm a bit of a Ford fan myself cos they're so easy to work on. It might be worth looking at the Fiesta ST or even an XR2 in good nick. Another idea is an MG ZR, they aren't particularly reliable but are dirt cheap since Rover went under and are excellent fun to drive.

Or of course, you could say bollocks to it and get a Mini Cooper!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  9. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Flatmatt's right about the choices but I wouldn't buy a Golf GTI because they're slow (the older models are quicker than the new), expensive (snob factor) and unreliable (absolutely awful).

10. Radius

I totally agree...having had one up on three wheels several times I can safely say they cannot stand a thrashing.

THe Toyota?? Supra twin turbo is bloody fast too..fast as std porchse 911..I have been in one and they are shit off a shovel handle well too...

But if YOU WANT TO GO REALLY FAST GET A MOTORBIKE...or an Audi S6 and put a Nitrous in it...heh heh ( I know someone who ihas done thsi and is trying for 1/4 mile in under 9seconds thing...err barmy)

11. soundgirl

well thanks for the advice, everyone. and

no. although he's not exactly discouraging me. :rolleyes:

yes, of course, if my budget was higher, i would NOT go for this car. but, i want something fun, quirky and affordable. this is why i'm mainly interested in the reliability. i've seen mixed reviews. my boyfriend used to have a Proton Compact (i think a 1.6 or 8. i forget). he used to thrash the fuck out of it, and never had problems over the 3 years he had it (unlucky bastard he sold it to, perhaps?).

the guy is asking £3295 but i reckon i could get that a fair bit lower. it's only done 35,000 miles. Lotus have had input and done some tweaking so that apparently the handling is awesome (that explains the lotus badge on the wheels, for anyone who bothered to look that close ;) )

with regards to mods, there's not a hell of a lot that's really been done - lowered 40mm and 17 inch black alloys.

it may not be the quickest thing on the road, but i think she's gorgeous. :inlove:

oh, and i'm now seeing her on thursday. (yn)

12. Radius

For £4k u can get a whole loada car...don't do it

13. soundgirl

suggestions? based on what i said i was looking for? kind of difficult for the money, i know. i AM still looking at other cars besides this one. and TRYING to be open-minded.

14. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-T...ryZ18206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but its a cat D. It will however blow any piece of shite Malaysian car out of the water as well as most cars that don't cost a bomb.

Or you can get:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-HONDA-CI...ryZ18206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

with a good VTECH engine. Will also blow any Malaysian wanna-be.

But if looks are what you want, get this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CRX-Del...ryZ18206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-HONDA-CR...ryZ18206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've got one and it is a dream to drive. It's Honda so it is reliable. Engines go to 8000 rev and the automatic sunroof is the ultimate puller.

Thing is - with these types of cars, most of the owners will have been psychos from Sussex.

15. Radius

Fairplay Mr.Dustek...I agree...but I went for an engine that could handle teh abuse a diesel...and cos its not so fast I am not tempted to drive like c@nt...

Off topic but tell me ..why do so many people not check even their mirrors / blind spot before swerving violently into the lane they want on teh motorway...nearly been hit 3 times alone this week ??!?!?!?
    8O

16. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Soundgirl wants to look good and go fast but on a low budget and that means high mileage, age or a repaired car. Buying a second car is alway a lottery unless you really really know your cars and can haggle like :hagglers:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  17. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

athank you! I can't take all the credit, but i can confirm that Sussex is full of right ol' psycho's!!!

18. soundgirl

um, it's me, not apples. but yeah, thanks for the info. i'll check those links out later. (y)

19. Radius

HA HA
    Dustek you're such a charmer ...can tell us every make of car but not the difference between the ladies !!!!?
    :rowley: