Protect your PC for free

ac

From another forum, for those wanting the best free protection, I give you a nice little list;
"What is the best free Anti Virus and/or Firewall and/or Anti Spyware program?"
Many times I have read the same question here on NBR, so I've made a list of these programs.

To get the best security programs (Avira suite, KIS or NIS for instance), usually you will have to pay but there are however some very good (and some excellent) programs available for free.

Almost all programs listed are available for XP and Vista (not all programs support 64-bit versions).
These are all free programs, not time-limited trial versions.
You will have to find the right version for your OS yourself through the links below.

Best free Anti Virus (AV-Comparatives score in red)
Avast.............................antispyware and antirootkit protection included, 98,2%
Avira AntiVir................... antirootkit protection included, 99,7%
AVG...............................antispyware protection included, 93%

Best free Firewall (Matousec score in red)
Comodo Firewall Pro v.3.... XP&Vista; very good 90%*
Online Armor v.3 ..............XP&Vista, 32-bit only; very good 86%
PC Tools Firewall Plus v.5.. XP&Vista, 32-bit only; very good 86%

Best free Anti Spyware/Malware (# = recommended)
Dr. Web CureIt!...............scan and clean program for infected systems
MalwarebytesAntiMalware..on-demand scanner #
PC Tools Threatfire..........real-time behavioural blocker, 32-bit only #
SpyWareBlaster...............blocks websites known for spyware #
SuperAntiSpyware..............on-demand scanner #
Windows Defender........../32- and 64-bit version, full HIPS with Spynet advanced membership

Free Anti Rootkit software
Avira Anti Rootkit Tool
F-Secure Blacklight
Panda Anti Rootkit
RootkitRevealer ...............by Windows SysInternals (use their site/forum for information and questions about this program)
TrendMicro RootkitBuster

Miscellaneous free security programs(# = recommended)
Avira AV Rescue System....bootdisk for virus/malware removal
F-Secure Rescue CD 3.0....bootdisk for virus/malware removal
NoScript ..............................Firefox add-on, allows you to limit different scripts, plug-ins, Java, Flash & I-Frame #
Returnil Virtual System......mirror your actual computer setup and create a virtual storage disk to save documents, data, and files
SandboxIE......................run programs in an isolated space, preventing changes to other programs and data. #
Secunia OSI....................online scan to find patches for your OS and most (Windows) programs to avoid possible exploits. #
WinPatrol........................system monitor

Online Virus/Spyware/Malware scanners
Bitdefender Online Scanner
Dr.Web Online VirusScan....for individual files
Eset Online Scanner
F-Secure Online Scanner...uses Kaspersky, F-Prot, Norman technology and more
Jotti Malware scan...........for individual files, combining 19 different av&malware scanners
PrevX CSI
VirusTotal.......................for individual files, combining more than 30 different av scanners

Online Firewall Tests
AuditmyPC
Comodo free scan
Hackerwatch.org
PC Flank
Shields Up/Gibson Research Corp.

Not sure about these programs?
Then check these independent sites for comparisons and information about the different programs.
AV Comparatives Anti Virus comparison, though not the free versions. Scores in this post are from Feb. 2009 test
Matousec.com Firewall leak-, termination- and performance tests; percentage scores in red are from Feb. 2009 test.
Wilders Security One of the best sites/fora, dedicated to security software.

* Comodo Firewall Pro and it's HIPS Defense+, can be installed without the AV part currently in CIS/Comodo Internet Suite.

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
thanks bro, i got heeeaps of viruses. mainly trojan diallers and stuff, which is cool cos i dont have the internet