propellerheads reason malstrom synthesizer

Discussion in 'Production' started by jungleboie, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jungleboie

jungleboie New Member

yo if any producers of dnb/jungle know this program could you please tell me how to make a bass synth in the malstrom synthesizer i cant seem to find good dnb bass's in the malstrom I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE A BASS. or in teh subtractor. also how do i make my song sound full...please help ...peace DJ JungleBOIE

2. Andydextruss

Andydextruss Something

Subtractor - select 2 sawtooth waves, detune 1 via the cent control, set them out of phase, put both oscillators down to 2 octaves, select a low pass filter (lpf 12 or lpf 24), put the resonance up to the notch below the halfway mark, put the frequency right down then bring it up til it sounds nice. Then click 'sync' on lfp 1, select 'filter frequency' adjust the lfo amount and rate to taste. Add Unison and a little distortion and you have a reese.

Select 2 sine waves, detune slightly, set 1 to 2 octaves, 1 to 3 octaves, put the fm up a tiny bit, do the same as above with the filter (or try a band pass filter) and lfo and you have a wobble bass. You can also use square waves in this way which gives a similar effect.

Malstrom, I dont make bass from the default settings in this synth, I usually go through presets til I find something I like and just mess about with it til I'm happy.

However, I do use it to make subbass, select 1 sine wave, drop it to 2 octaves, slightly raise the attack (to avoid clicking), turn off all filters, modulators, the shaper and oscillator 2, now connect the output from oscillator a (turn the rack round by clicking tab) to an eq unit, raise the bass right up and cut 300Hz+, hook that to a compressor, set ratio to 4:1 (or 1:4 cant remember), raise attack slightly, release in the middle and adjust threshold til it pumps out nicely. Also turn down the treble all the way on the mixer channel (dont forget to click the eq on button).

To get a fuller sound you get a copy of your synth (and patch) and change stuff, change octaves, phase, cent detuning, different filter types etc, I usually have at least 4 synths for a bassline, though sometimes a lot more. Also rewiring will make it sound much better.

But mostly you should read the manual, and work stuff out for yourself, or search on here and other forums, this stuff has been done over time and time again.

3. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Gotta try that

4. RAkoon

RAkoon DuttyDubz

5. smallpebble

smallpebble New Member

try switching everything off on the mealstrom first - every single light filter and envolope - then put a squre or saw in one of the sound generator area's - find your octave depth and switch on one of the resonant filters (filter A & filter B) - then tune the filters to the required frequency (when your girlfriend smiles and holds her hands in front of her pelvis or your pets wet themselves and the windows rattle - once you have sussed that with one sound gen. switch the other one on and start to mix an opposing range in - i.e. if u used sub in the first instance hit the mid to sub range next - then try oscillating the sounds for extra interest and filddling with the envelope and filters / resonance etc

if u feel real cheeky assign a mono channel to left and one to right in your virtual mixing desk in reason bbut dont pan on the subs!! it will loose impact and maybe even not play correctly on vynil

another good one in reason is just make a nice patch in the nnxt and keep duplicating the patch / keyzone and you can keep layering up the sounds to the required thickness

the new combinator is ok but i find its better to make your own instruments - you can trying oiing through the audio merger splitter for layering channels to but one properly tuned mono or dual oscillator will sound fatter

hope thats not too confusing

peace

Attached Files: