Promoting DnB events - Hints & tips...

D BREAKNECK

7 years on top
VIP Junglist
Cos everyone's Myspaced up now...

I've been waffling away on a Myspace blog entry about my experience in being involved in promoting Breakneck, and I've spent ages thinking about what to put include...

I'm not claiming to be an expert but people know what we do, and how seriously we take it, and the attention / work that goes into Breakneck events...

Myself and Skope have always been ready to do what we can to advise and help, so if anyone's got any advice, ideas, questions or things they'd like me to try and cover...

Lemme know...

I'm trying to not just cover 'How to put on a night' but also, press, residents, MCs, branding, promotion, dealing with venues...

All that stuff too...

Hopefully it might help someone who's working on putting summat on, or trying to keep an event viable...

:rolleyes:

the dnb guru speaks!

im lost with the direction of this thread! breakneck have been going for time yes!
the put on big nights but there is other nights that are as ram and good vibes so where are these slackin events going on who needs this mirical advice :|

the dnb guru speaks!

im lost with the direction of this thread! breakneck have been going for time yes!
the put on big nights but there is other nights that are as ram and good vibes so where are these slackin events going on who needs this mirical advice :|
i think you got the tone of the post a bit wrong mate. its in no way a criticism!

i think you got the tone of the post a bit wrong mate. its in no way a criticism!

im not being vile in my replie i just dont get the direction of the view seems a bit random ! i reckon breakneck put on some bad events , i aint a hater man .im just wondering who is after advice in that genre.

im not being vile in my replie i just dont get the direction of the view seems a bit random ! i reckon breakneck put on some bad events , i aint a hater man .im just wondering who is after advice in that genre.

Its pretty straight forward ... if you have ever tried to promote and run a night from scratch you will realise the amount of shit to organise is incredible, and these boys are offering their valuable experience to the hundreds of people worldwide who are planning on hosting dnb events at any one time.

I do have ideas, do you have a link to what you've included so far Skope or D?

Ez Guys,
What is your myspace address so i can please have a look at your blog ? Even though i have been promoting for a couple of years it is always good to pick up on new tips'n'tricks and to see if i could be doing more. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.
Big Up the worldwide DnB family.
Peace all crews.

I remember posting a thread like this when i first started, i gave info out that maybe i shouldn't of, then again maybe all the other promotors knew what i did then.

From then till now (about 2 years) I've put on plenty of events, in all genres, i've always respected other promotors and got mad when flyers went over mine etc...

I got very little advice back then, and from what i've learnt now is enough to succeed in not making a loss from an event. We are all still learning - and i've no doubt we would all benifit from this shared advice, but who will actually give it? Is it a competition thing? secrets and the like?

Im all for the cause too, dnb or whatever, i've helped put an underground scene in two towns where before there was nothing! Ive got a list of near 50 DJs/MCs that ive got out of their bedroom and on the scene. Im not bragging here im just tryin to proove my point, im in it for the music and the respect, the achievements are my rewards.

I respect Breakneck cru, it was breakneck back in January 2003 when i first got hooked on DnB - the first major DnB event i went to!

I must admit, your post on myspace.com and here are very cleverly written, you've not named any names but suggested things... It would be interesting to see these "comments" you've recieved.

It would also be nice to see some breakneck promotional team down at these local events... see how we do before making any judgement.

I dont mean that in a spitefull way either....

sp

Last edited:
SP, I wish I could get to more local events, but I'm based in London, but I do take an interest and know that more successful events is for the good of all involved in the scene.

I'm not making any judgement on any events, but I think most people know that some promoters have tried to slag Breakneck off, and disrupt things (inc ripping down posters, going over posters, claiming events are sold out / cancelled etc, trying to hack / spam websites, even personal threats etc...).

If people wanna hate Breakneck because we put on largely successful DNB nites, then that isn't helping them or the scene, and doesn't bother me...It's not a competition, we just try to put on good nites that people enjoy.

I'm not claiming to be any 'dnb guru' but I can give helpful advice to anyone wants it, and have done, for years with plenty London events, from the Brixton Academy & The Fridge to nights in pubs and squat parties, and posts (and PMs) on here. All kinds of stuff, linking people, Tshirts, flyers, equipment, Djs etc. Cos believe it or not, I enjoy helping people out, an am lucky to know some some talented people.

Anyone wanting to get in touch, PM me, or our myspace is myspace.com/brknk

I'm still working on the hints and tips things but it includes: Keeping costs low, choosing type of venue, night of the week. A lot of it is about defining what type of night ur trying to do...

And budgetting for the 1st 3 events, not just thinking you'll make money (ha!) on the 1st one, and how not to lose all your money on the first one.

:)

ps: This "miracle advice" is mainly aimed at encouraging people thinking of putting nights on who are thinking 'Where do I start...'.

& before Breakneck I was putting on free events in Pubs and venues in London to give people somewhere to play out...

Last edited:
this side of dnb flyering doesnt and never will go over any other flyers its hard enough with the council being twats and cautioning people at the moment ,well those who attempt to fuck up peoples plans to run a good night should be slaughterd

i'm pretty sure dan meant this for anyone looking to start a night more than anything. and soooo many people have a go at starting things running in their town. surely its nice to lend them some help with this?
paul & you seem to be taking this as an attack, and its completely the opposite

fair play! i wouldnt even know where to start, best i do is post up events around the net to help get people aware! thats y i just joined this forum infact haha

i am not takeing what anyone is saying on this thread as a attack ,just dont get why any promotors etc are sending threts going over breakneck posters etc
why would they be gunnin for you. fuck it anyway lads as long as theres good partys going on it dont matter ,

dustek u obviously need help, as allways in your replies u are a tit.

Back
Top Bottom