Promos

Do0Bs

Fo Shizzle Dizzle
Hey guys,

A quick question,

Am just about to buy some vinyls off ebay and in the description it says "mixture of promos and full releases". The tunes in question are relatively well known.

I am just wondering whats the difference between a promo a normal release?

Will the track be alot shorter or a cut from the released version or will it be the same?

Cheers

Promos are the same as full release in the sense it's the same full length tune that's pressed on it, just without the artwork on it my friend.

Btw, on your username, get rid of the D and put an N and drop the S. :teeth:

Really? Never heard that b4

well I don't think it's been properly verified or whatever but I've read that all the vinyls get pressed on the same machine/whatever and the promos are obviously first to be cut and so will be better quality as the presses/master will be worn down later on in the process

well I don't think it's been properly verified or whatever but I've read that all the vinyls get pressed on the same machine/whatever and the promos are obviously first to be cut and so will be better quality as the presses/master will be worn down later on in the process

i guess that makes some sense. never heard of it before but then ive never had the promo and full release and compared the quality!

That makes sense.

You seen how they mass press vinyls? Someone put some videos up of it a while ago, well interesting!

Allegedly better sound quality as well.

I doubt that's the case.

I've heard that some promos aren't mastered as well as the full release versions as sometimes the record labels are in a hurry to get them out. While the promos are kicking around they have an extra couple of weeks to tweak the tune.

Probably not true for all promos but I reckon definitely for some... that's why I'm guessing some tunes don't come out a full 5-6 weeks after the promo while some come out 3-4 weeks.

I doubt that's the case.

I've heard that some promos aren't mastered as well as the full release versions as sometimes the record labels are in a hurry to get them out. While the promos are kicking around they have an extra couple of weeks to tweak the tune.

Probably not true for all promos but I reckon definitely for some... that's why I'm guessing some tunes don't come out a full 5-6 weeks after the promo while some come out 3-4 weeks.

Yeah this is true,

A couple of promo's iv had have been terribly mastered, most notibly Paint It Black by Sigma, and Stigma by Noisia were absolutely terrible for me. Quite annoying as there's no way im guna buy it twice!

escape said a while back they almost always use the same plates to press the promos and the full releases so i guess the promos are generally microscopically cleaner pressings

I doubt that's the case.

that is utter bollocks

it costs about £230 quid to master a 12"
then about £90 for the metal stampers

dont forget the delivery on top

no label in the world would get a new set of mastering and stampers made for the release version than what they have allready used for the promo the costs would be fucking huuuuge

only time this would happen is when the test presses come back with a problem and 9 times out of ten the mastering house would remaster it for free and also cover the initial costs for the metal work + delivery

and yes a early promo with virgin stampers will sound better than a finished copy thats like the 1000th copy to come off the set of stampers cos the metal work will be fucked by then

that is utter bollocks

it costs about £230 quid to master a 12"
then about £90 for the metal stampers

dont forget the delivery on top

no label in the world would get a new set of mastering and stampers made for the release version than what they have allready used for the promo the costs would be fucking huuuuge

only time this would happen is when the test presses come back with a problem and 9 times out of ten the mastering house would remaster it for free and also cover the initial costs for the metal work + delivery

and yes a early promo with virgin stampers will sound better than a finished copy thats like the 1000th copy to come off the set of stampers cos the metal work will be fucked by then

Thanks for clarifying! Though, if that's the case, how do you explain situations like Nuera listed above? I can vouch when I say I've had the same thing happen to me a couple of times.

Just compared a promo & full release version of Get Out Clause and the promo is definately cleaner, but I don't think that means anything because the full release is the one I play out most of the time, so it will have worn out slightly naturally.

Just compared a promo & full release version of Get Out Clause and the promo is definately cleaner, but I don't think that means anything because the full release is the one I play out most of the time, so it will have worn out slightly naturally.

vinyl will not wear out i have records that are over 40 years old that still play absoloutely fine

unless ur using a stanley knife as a stylus :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom