Progressions

Kiada

Yeah I'm struggling a bit with my first track. Basically I come from a Hip-Hop background where I'd generally make an intro, verse, chorus - rinse & repeat. I'm trying my hand at some DnB but I was wondering if anybody could give me a few hints / tips about progressions and change-ups as its all new to me. I've got a preview of the track on soundcloud, which has an intro and a main beat section.. but then it repeats a bit - is it alright to do that or is it best to change it up quite drastically? Just feel like I'm running out of ideas at the moment - maybe I've been working on it too long!

Any help appreciated. Better still, if anybody would like to collab or something that'd be cool too :)

Created using Ableton Live 8 and the Massive synth!

http://soundcloud.com/kiada/radiation-sickness

Do whatever you feel mate really

I mean standard would be :

Intro > Drop > Breakdown > 2nd drop > outro

But i like to change about a fair bit between them, i also like to make a different 2nd drop for my tracks, not always drastic but just something different than before

hope this helps a little man, but do whatever you feel

Thanks for this :) I'll give the breakdown a shot, try change it up a bit! I get a bit impatient though with long breakdowns - I get paranoid my sounds starting to get boring if the chilled out parts go on for too long hrrmm.

Thanks for this :) I'll give the breakdown a shot, try change it up a bit! I get a bit impatient though with long breakdowns - I get paranoid my sounds starting to get boring if the chilled out parts go on for too long hrrmm.

Believe me, creating a really could breakdown that serves and stimulates the drop is hard to make.
But just be sure to add loads of modulations, automations, effects on your string or atmospheric sounds.
Then throughout the break just let your drums come in again with a lowpass filter and build up to the drop, then a short silence right before the drop works great to make the drop even more intense.

yea man standard structure for dnb is
intro >>> drop >>> breakdown >>> 2nd drop >>> outro
have some variations throughout the drop ie each 8 bars change the bassline.

Back
Top Bottom