Programming Beats - Drum Patterns

Discussion in 'Production' started by Fat_Controller, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Fat_Controller

Fat_Controller New Member

I hear I listen and I try, I want to programme my drum machine with patterns......

Anybody got any patterns

2. gpk

gpk Great Pumpkin King

what drum machine are you using?

3. Dave_Akuma

Dave_Akuma aka composite.human

maybe try to use a sampler and some funk breaks? usually, drum patterns made in a drum machine sound too mechanical---but in a bad way, unless you really know how to program em AND use good drum hits to begin with...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. pois0n0z

pois0n0z New Member

mate heres the secret to makin dope beats (assuming your using software)

1. find a sample of an old funk beat ( ie. Winston brothers 'Amen' is commonly sampled ).

2. Chop up the individual drum hits using a program like sound forge, you can add some effects and filters, whatever to give ur hit some more 'dopeness'. Save the hits as .wav

3. Put these into your drum machine and program the same pattern used in the funk break. you will recognise this beat as soon as you hear it at 170 BPM.

4. from here u build up alot of samples and can mix between breaks ( ie. the 'tramen' break is made with a combination of amen and tighten up hits ). After fucking around for a while with placement of hi hats,snares etc, you should be able to make some cool sounding breaks. Save these. you can use them in tunes later on down the track.

hope some of this has been helpful, peace

5. Fat_Controller

Fat_Controller New Member

Are you familiar with the Quasimidi Sirius. This all in 1 drum machine/synth is really amazing if used correctly. Drums, there are 20 drum kits 120 drum sounds, all these drum sounds can be altered, pitch, adsr, filters, filterbank....!

Heres a track written on the Sirius

http://home.btclick.com/esivdej/Escape-club.mp3

Anyway the drum patterns can go up to 32 beats per bar, at some stage when I've enough money Ill buy a sampler, my main priority is a sick sounding synth, something like a Nord lead 3

Until then I want to try using the drum machine.

6. Dr. Ophalus

Dr. Ophalus Guest

I have found as with others that the best way to take a sampled beat is to cut it into sections you like, then trigger each one after one another (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SYSTEM ON MONOLOGUE!!!).

7. Vinnie Vendetta

Vinnie Vendetta Member

thats my way too.and i like to have 3 or 4 diferent snares one above the other and loads of hi hats.also perc stufff and slices of the original break its nice

oh and those drums fat controller are kinda shitty

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004