Progamming Original Amens and Ruff Breakz

Discussion in 'Production' started by suff, Mar 17, 2005.

1. suff

suff New Member

YO. I've been making breaks for a while now and am slowly making some progress. I like to Progamme all my beats, and minimise using drum loop samples. Apart from being more original, i also rekon u have more control.
    HOWEVER, i am struggling to reproduce an Amen or cymbal break. the kik and snares are sweet, but the cymbals just don't sound right. I think i mite need a low pitched ride and/or crash.
    Any advice or tips wud we wicked. hook us up.

2. Patchie-C

Patchie-C orate youth!

chop up the original amen then replay it. you can then eq each part and add distortion to get an original sound. you cant really recreate the amen from scratch :hotpants:

3. suff

suff New Member

Myyeah thats what u think, anyways i don't want any replica, i want my own break, that has the same stucture and punch as an amen. I'm almost there, just got some tweakin to do. Never say never .

4. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Patchie is right what's the point trying to recreate something when you have the original at hand.... just seems like a lot of unnecessary hard work.

5. Affliction

best thing to do would be taking the original Amen into recycle, chopping up all the slices and exporting a midi file, then triggering your own drum samples using above mentioned midi file, you would *in theory* get the same quantization as the original amen but your samples would have to be spot on.

6. suff

suff New Member

yeah cheerz, thats a good way to get the beat structure, but i've got all the drums apart from the cymbals in the right places, it's just finding the right cymbal. I'm 99% sure he's playin the ride but it is really low pitched. It's like cross between a crash and a ride. I've pitched down heaps of rides but they don't sound right. Listen to an amen, and see if ya kno wat i mean.

7. Affliction

That low pitch ride you refer to is probably due to the limited microphone quality of the time... instead of pitching down try putting a low pass filter on instead. Also try a degrading plugin such as Cubase's Bitcrusher and turn the samplerate/bitdepth down a bit...

8. suff

suff New Member

Yeah, that sounds like it to me. I guess the mics back then were'nt the best. Thats primo man, i didn't think about that. I'll let ya kno how it goes. Thanx.

9. Amalgam

Amalgam New Member

My friend vintage mics are the BIZZ-NESS!!

10. Dave_Akuma

Dave_Akuma aka composite.human

not just that, but you say you want your own break, yet you asked how to recreate the amen :confused: make up your mind

11. NCJunglist420

NCJunglist420 Member

Is that a challenge, cuz i accept!! lol jk

btw, suff, have u tried layering different rides/crashes and maybe then adjusting pitch a volume levels? dunno if that would work but just an idea that came to me...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005