Productivity: improve your productivity with Ableton Live's session view

Discussion in 'Production' started by fanu, Jul 13, 2016.

1. fanu

fanu Active Member

[​IMG]

Hi, all music makers! I wrote a new blog post today.

PRODUCTIVITY: EASILY CREATE SONGS WITH ABLETON LIVE’S SESSION VIEW
    http://fanumusic.com/ableton-session-productivity/

Based on asking music makers what’s challenging to them about music, seems that many find finishing a song one of the hardest parts when it comes to making music – or, coming up with enough ideas so that the song would be easy to finish. Seems many are struggling with 16-bar loops (or loops of any length that are not forming into songs).

I wanted to share with you what’s been helping me tremendously in terms of actually being able to write songs instead of those frustrating loops. Also, seems many are good at writing those loops, so my technique is also built around being able to create a loop.
    This tip mostly relates to using Ableton Live due its session view.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter!

Dannyboy93 and ManuForti like this.
  2. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

I struggle a lot with this, will check cheers Fanu.

[Edit]

Yes been a while since i tried session view will load some old loops in.

3. fanu

fanu Active Member

Give it a shot, as, IMHO, that's the "point" of Ableton Live!

4. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

I'm pretty new to producing but I do find seeing what works in session view then once you got your sounds putting them all in arrangement view is the easiest way for me, although with my old laptop if I put too much in my CPU goes through the roof lol, I really need a new desktop!

5. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

quick question....i use Ableton to arrangement view for my production...now if i wanted to put all my tunes (all different projects) into one session view, is this possible? apologies if this dead easy to do, but i was about to watch a 15 min vid about how to do it and i cant be arsed with it.

6. fanu

fanu Active Member

Can be done. On arrangement view, select the desired length, then right-click and select "consolidate time to new scene", and the selected time will be transferred to session view to create a new scene.
    It's very common to select 16 bars, create a scene for that, then the next 16 bars...
    So, if you want to put several songs into one session view project, first do what i just described to each song, then create a new project and drag the track content of songs via browser to the new song's session view.

Joey AdhD and Dannyboy93 like this.
  7. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

8. RogerDsser

RogerDsser New Member

Great stuff. I started with session mode weeks before even trying arrangement. I liked how jamming and experimenting flowed out of session mode so quickly. And the ability to adjust the scenes with various channels to preview what the potential mix would sound like.