production tip for everyone

Verva

Verva Music
VIP Junglist
When making bass or synths I high cut to about 180, this way I will know if it really works on lower end speakers. Its harder to make a sound, sound good without sub.

You dont understand. When making edm, espically club music that a lot of people will listen to on laptop speakers, if you make the bass synth sound good without lows, when you introduce them it will sound better overall.

If you're making something with a subby bassline this tip will be no help at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

When making bass or synths I high cut to about 180, this way I will know if it really works on lower end speakers. Its harder to make a sound, sound good without sub.

I get what you mean but I just pull my sound card out and listen on my actual lappy speakers, must more accurate than a cut at 180 :)

I get what you mean but I just pull my sound card out and listen on my actual lappy speakers, must more accurate than a cut at 180 :)

I do that aswell, but if my sound card is connected it takes too long to change. Ever since i made a main lead that ended up sounding more like an intro sound, i do this.

I reference my mixes on my laptop speakers, it's best to reference in as many places as possible to check your mix translates. Obviously you'll never hear a sub on laptop speakers, but if you're after other harmonics you can try and squeeze them out. No need to lowcut though as shitty speakers will have done that themselves.

I can say that I made a pretty decent low end on my monitors, when I first got them, at extremely low volumes. I had no subwoofer, and they were really small, so I think around 70-80 hz, they cut. I then tested the sound on a more hifi-ish speaker system, computer speakers (Not much low end, but still), my headphones, and the bass impressed me. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I made it present, without ruining the mix. It would, however, have gone better on bigger monitors.

Why, instead of cutting the frequencies, you don't just get your shitty day-by-day earbuds and listen to the song, as a reference? what I've learned so far is that, no matter what, you'll never get a perfect mix for any kind of setup. But you need to reference on as many as different setups you can.

Back
Top Bottom