Production software.

Discussion in 'Production' started by Bunn-T, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

This has probably been covered in this forum previously so please if possible could you guys answer my question.

Basically I'm currently using reason, I don't like it, but I don't have a Mac I'm using 32 bit hardware with Windows 7 so that rules out logic. People keep on saying I should go for cubase. I have now bought it and installed it but since heard that FL studio is a lot better for vst's now is there any truth in this? If so could anybody lend us a helping hand making a decision which software to use?

Advanced thanks guys.

2. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I mean, you already bought Cubase, why not read the manual and stick with it; most DAW's are not really "better" or "worse" than others, they just have certain small features & workflow variations to accomplish different tasks quickly. Over-all they're all doing the same things, but you just have to figure your own workflow out and find a DAW that is best suited to that. Not going around buying DAW's because someone on a forum said "ITS TEH BEST EVAR! YOU DONT HAVE IT?!?!?! THEN YOURE NOT A CHAMPION!!!"

logikz, bn14 and Sovereign like this.
  3. SuBKA

SuBKA Member

I recommend FL Studio. It is indeed very good for VST's. You will have to get used to a much different workflow but I can only recommend it.

Breaknz, Bunn-T and logikz like this.
  4. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

I heard from a well established producer. Not the forum. I might just buy fl as well learn em both and decide that way.

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Theres so many choices, you got Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton, StudioOne. Why not download the demo's and have a play around, find out which one best suits your workflow and go with that! No one singular DAW is better than the next, it all comes down to personal preference and what best suits your needs. Just because some "Big name" told you to use one thing doesn't mean it's the law!

6. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

I was only looking for advice, not an onslaught.

7. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

How's this an onslaught? o.0
    Honestly you're a bit foolish to buy a software package if you aren't yet sure what you like.
    Just try out the demo's mate.

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

but this is all really good adivce and the only real answer to the question. where do you feel onslaught?

im in FL, never really gave any other software a real go, made some tunes in cubase, logic, orion, checked some demos here and there, shit i dont even keep up with FLP, im still on version 8. which is perfectly suited for my needs. which is basically nothing anyway, im going through a bit of a dryspell, on the inspiration front. which is why ive decidded to take a class in ableton, early next year, im sure thats going to be inspirational, ableton is 199% different from FL so it should get the juices flowing. or crash my brain, who knows.

9. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

OK not so much an onslaught but I was more looking for which of the 2 support more of a variety of plugins. Maybe I should rephrase the question but I CBA

10. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Your well establish producer friend is a joke. You need nothing but hardware and professional software like protools. Protools is professional they even thought to include pro in the name. Now that is what you need.

Just joking friend. Everybody is right. If you watch the masterclass videos different big name producers use different things. Learn what you have right now and then go blow money on something else. Hell, for fifty dollars you can get Reaper. One of the dudes who went pro on this forum used reaper. Also check out tutorials to see what might work best for you. There is no right or wrong answer.
    I use Reason, just got Reason 7 yesterday. It is wonderful by the way. So many new features that make mixing easier and better. Before, reason used to be a daw that needed to be mixed a different program, now it is self contained. It does have its up and downs. For example, I can not use just any plug in I want to use like native instruments or camel phat. However, the plugins I can use work almost flawlessly with the system, and I have no problems with the system always crashing.
    Are you starting to get my point? There are no real answers to your question. Some programs work better than others for some things. Abelton and Logic are probably the best of all worlds but in the end its a personal choice. Like who you date. Sure that red-headed girl is crazy good in bed, but she also steals your money when your not looking. The blond girl won't give head, but she likes to cook extraordinary meals when you come home from work. Its all about what makes you happy.

Bunn-T likes this.
  11. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Is reason 7 worth the buy? I'm debating integrating it into my setup because there's an awesome z-plane filter for it o: .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  12. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

IV4

I love you.

I only say I don't like reason because it would miss instruments like the 1st kick at the beginning of a riff etc... Can't be dealing with that. I'm fairly new to production and I impulse buy everything which is not great but always ends up to benefit me. I'll learn cubase for a few months and see how I get on then move to the next depending on what I can churn out on it. Thanks guys, will posts results for you lot to slaughter lol

13. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I'm confused? Everyone answered your question, and I'm guessing it wasn't what you wanted to hear?

So onto your second question.....Apart from Reason, every DAW supports VST use in the exact same way, so again, the answer to your first question is exactly the same as the answer to this question! Try the demo's and go with which ever one suits your workflow best!

14. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

Mate I dunno wtf I'm thinking anymore. I'm halfway through a bottle of Hennessey and I don't give a fuck right now. Get at me tomorrow afternoon when I'm sober. Bless

15. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc

send me some money please

tewky1 likes this.
  16. Bunn-T

Bunn-T PLUR

Gimme yo PayPal details and I'll give you what you want me brother. :D

17. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

My personal favorite is Studio One. I produced rap and later dnb on FL Studio for almost 10 years. I started on version 3.5. I find that for dnb Studio One has a considerably better workflow and a much easier learning curve than some alternatives. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

18. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I am loving it right now. When I first got Reason 4 I felt I could never get a song sounding professional. I felt all my songs sounded like they were made in reason, and I could easily pick out other people's tracks made in reason. As time progresses, I feel, Reason will soon be able to rival Logic and Abelton. It is a wonderful companion with any daw and can do some amazing stuff. I do think you should get but don't think it will be a total replacement for your current daw.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015