PRODUCTION RULES

oh no :(

Ive had it happen to me and ive also did it to myself.

Ive found as i was learning and making wack stuff, it was always good to totally delete my project files and start again but 10 years of work........ oh dear :/

Read that Octane/DLR post a bit earlier...heartbreaking stuff. :(

As far backing up on the internet, I would say Dropbox would be the way to go. Private. Free (up to 2GB). And all accessed without having to visit a webpage.

Personally, I use Time Machine and have a completely separate backup dedicated drive for all audio samples, plugin setup/install files and activation codes.

Cheers.

Poor guys! :(

I don't really know how else to go about it other than just periodically copying to an external HD... it's just such a hassle!

i was hoping to spoil myself with the lil cash that i got but now i think im gon have to buy an external. i already have a 1tb that has all my stuff but i think i need another one. suggestions please? cheap shops, reliable brands etc thanks

I can share the pain. Happened to me too, but I agree with some of the comments; when it happened to me, just made me a stronger producer and the more I searched again and remade, I came up with different sounds. So it's not all that bad, but to lose 10 years of work just like that? I'd be hitting the pub for a break

serious business

2zduofc.jpg

+ DVDs for project back ups.

Been through that, my harddrive fried about three years ago with 15 years of accumulated stuff. But believe me, it can be a turning point for the better. Made me buy an external HD and back all shit up once a month. Sounds like a hazzle, but with fbackup (it's free) it takes 1-2 hours tops and your ass is saved for another month (or how often you'd like to back up). Would never back all my stuff up on a net cloud, don't trust it no matter how safe people say it is.

oh man, better back my shit up again, scared the shit out of me especially since i havent taken backup for months

I tried time machine the other day but it wanted 460gb of memory?! Is that normal?

How much stuff do you have on the drive you want to back up? If it's 460 GB, Time Machine will need the equivalent.

If the drive you want to back up is not loaded with 460GB of stuff, then something is definitely wonky.

Sidenote: Typically after TM backs up your drive the first time, it will continue to do so either automatically (or manually, which is what I do). Once the backup drive is full, Time Machine will begin to overwrite the oldest backups in order to make room for the new ones.

Aww man, this is about the worse thing that can happen to a dj/producer, especially if you been saving stuff for years..

I lost a ton of my mixes once along with everything else (pics, movies, samples, pretty much everything) but my mixes were most important to me, i was making much music yet so i didn't lose much along those lines but i lost almost 3 years of mixes i recorded, some of my earlier stuff (once i learned to mix) was my best.. I didn't have the vinyl and tracks to do those mixes again either, someone stole my case of vinyl at a party i played at...

How much stuff do you have on the drive you want to back up? If it's 460 GB, Time Machine will need the equivalent.

If the drive you want to back up is not loaded with 460GB of stuff, then something is definitely wonky.

Sidenote: Typically after TM backs up your drive the first time, it will continue to do so either automatically (or manually, which is what I do). Once the backup drive is full, Time Machine will begin to overwrite the oldest backups in order to make room for the new ones.

Gotcha, I'll have a look later. Thanks again!

That sucks, hope they got their album done, I lost all my projects too recently but now I'm making better stuff imo

Back
Top Bottom