Production PC

Discussion in 'Production' started by muzzadj, Jul 9, 2009.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Ez all,

Looking to buy a new pc come payday and was wandering if any of you could give me a hand choosing parts as i'm not the greatest when it comes to pc's!

Atm in my system i have a graphics card worth keeping and a pretty good hdd but another smaller one (less than 300gb) would come in handy.. Also don't need keyboard/mouse/speakers etc..

So if anyones bored or just up for helpin a brother out then could you build me a system to buy!? If not a whole system them just something you recommend!

Hope someone can sort me out..

Safe

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Mate Whatever pc u get if its for production make sure u have shit loads of ram im pretty sure you can get about 6-8gigs shoved in a pc nowadays (fruity an others only use about 2, but its bollox they run sooo mich smoother when u go ott with the ram) an also get a decent sound card so you can do alot more!
    I recommend for simplicity the latest dell pc or summin :confused: mines HP runnin 6gigs of ram thats all that matters to me imo

Happy pc buying! :wave:

Theres some absolute beasts out there at the mo im sure some1 will recommend a apple g5 quad core bollox thing just have a browse there are plenty of machines, technology is advancing daily!
    REMEMBER : RAM = Smooth production no crackling/slowing etc

3. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

I know its not everyones cup of tea, but if its for audio then its well worth looking at a mac, Im still running a 2002 model G4 at the min, and even now I cant fault it. Now the new intel Mac Pro's are out, I've seen dual processor G5's with 4gb of RAM and loaded up with software going for £500, and they'd be a lot more stable than any PC of even double that price.

4. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

ahh man i really dont know, i just hate that mac os.. so much more comfortable on windows!!! Im going to be working on macs at college though thats the thing, well and a few windows systems

the mac option is in my head but i would quite like to avoid it!!

5. motion audio

Thats fair enough, ive been using it a fair few years now so I find it alright, I just cant hack how unstable windows is. Apple really are years ahead when it comes to performance for audio/video.

6. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Ha, just don't think i can go mac!!!

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Mate if you are gunna run on windows make sure you have an external hdd and back everything up.
    Also make sure you are doing a virus scan every week and get the best antivirus software you can buy.
    I know how it feels to lose all of your projects and hard work, its heartbreaking.

8. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

ok mate will do..

still need to know what to buy, can anyone help?

9. luzil

luzil Member

hmm, i work on a thinkpad, 15 inch, 1680x1080 resolution, xp, dual core 2Ghz and it works fine, good overview, always mobile with it. No mac out there with such specifications. And nowadays middle class notebooks have enough power to produce music, i dont want to sync several systems. Also I have made a 2nd partition with own xp only for producing music, there are only music software and often used programm installed (browser, chat, etc...) There are some tutorial out there how to setup XP stable and efficient for producin music. So of course the more RAM and CPU u buy the better, but u didnt say how u produce. the more u use vsti and fx parallel the more power u will need. There are some physical modeling syths out there that will be limited by weak CPU. Tools like Reaktor seem to need big part of your CPU power, but if u mainly use samples u dont need to buy expensive quad high Hz CPU. Also some DAW have the option to freeze tracks to save CPU. So i would rather look at more RAM and a fast HDD. It easy to pay out too much for technical stuff, so ask urself what u need exactly now and probably in near future. Can save u alot of money. If i would buy a new notebook, i would go at least with a core duo 2 ~ 3Ghz, 4 GB RAM with Vista, and HDD fast as possible, SSD are still pretty expensive

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Just in case you don't know already, if you want more than 3.something gig of RAM you'll need a 64bit OS.

11. souljah

souljah liquid lover...

the only bit of advice i can give it to get one for personal one for production, and just dont hook the production one up to the net AT ALL :)

12. chromey

chromey a.k.a Impact

13. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

just about to say this.. yeh i agree with mr slick.

I have 4gb in my macbook and it runs like a german steam train (you know that one in james bond? yeh like that!)

14. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

cheers for the help eeryone.. is anyone up to the challenge of building me something????

Also shall i go 64bit xp or vista? Heard xp has driver issues.

15. MrWoggles

MrWoggles Member

Not sure what to tell you there... What I can tell you is that i'm running 2.2D2C, 4 gig ram, 32-bit vista and my computer has never crashed. That's why I don't understand how the mac users manage to rag on the PC users about stability as if there is any type of justification for a company doubling the price of hardware.

16. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

thats good advice wat i was gonna say!
    i dont do it but still!haha

17. luzil

luzil Member

Well, why not just make a second partition and installing an OS a second time on it, called dual boot, there is no need to buy 2 high end PCs to get a stable system for music production. Windows seems to be more unstable, because 90% surf with IExplorer, no firewall......

18. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

You not up for building it yourself? I did about 3/4 months ago. Didn't know anything about computers, just learnt from the net, forums and tutorials etc.

Shitting bricks when I actually put the thing together mind, so I just got pissed and did it. All good so far(yn)

I installed vista 64, and it chomps memory. My old laptop idled at around 800mb (vista 32) and now with 64 idles around 1.3GB. So if you're going 64 I'd recommend 4GB minimum ram (rams cheap as chips if you're building)

19. motion audio

What sort of work are you doing though? Its not so much of an issue these days with the higher spec pc's, a few years ago there was a much bigger gap in performance between Mac and Windows based machines. The reason I prefer to work on a mac is that I have never had any problems at all, where as I've had a few bad experiences with PC's while recording for bands etc. Theres nothing wrong with working on a PC, but in my experience Macs are much more suited to Audio work.

20. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

i realize this may not sway you but....

i used to write on windows with my roommate, and it was a nightmare. error messages, internet issues (eventually disconnected), ASIO errors, malware, blah, blah. that being said, we still managed to get a few decent tracks done together.

well, i am moved out and got a real job. i went and got myself a new macbook pro and logic. i am in heaven. you turn on the machine and it boots in under 17 seconds, open logic and everything flows smooth, never an error once (4GB RAM). runs as many channels as i want. no AV software stealing processor power, hook it up to the net with no worries. i will not be returning to windows.