Production Masterclasses...

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
I've found although there's a lot of good production masterclasses out there, they nearly always seem to focus on more technical aspects of making tunes like mixdowns, sound design etc.

I just wondered if there are any that really focus on good writing techniques? Obviously you can't really teach someone the instinct to write great music but there must be a lot of music writing techniques the pros often follow, either by pure habit or perhaps for some instant inspiration whenever they get stuck...

This is just something I think should be focused on way more in these tutorials as it's all well and good being a mixdown genius but not a lot of use if your tune is pretty average in the first place!

Maybe the best thing to do is try and write pop music for a bit as good starting point for theory. There's tons of information available on youtube/forums, much more than there is for DnB infact. But you won't get it from the DnB guys I don't think. Look into people like Max Martin, groups like Xenomania. Within a year you'll have it down!

Virtually every masterclass ive watched on dnb involves the artist starting out on drums, getteing a good groove then finding a bline to fit. thats really the only constant.

The reason this isnt explained as much is because its completely limitless on where YOU want to take things.
Anything is possible??!!
The writing aspect of a tune is do what you feel comes natural in the track. If you've heard a lot of the style of music you wish to create, then it should be easy to think of 'what comes next' in the track. Obviously the wider the spectrum of songs you listen to, the more ideas and techniques you can bring to your production and create your own unique style of arranging and producing.
I have to say though if you make and only listen to dnb you will have a problem with production for a LONG time. Fast track by broadening the spectrum of tracks you listen to.

EVERYTHING is inspiration!

There is a video recording of an ill gates ableton seminar he did a wile back. He talks about how to speed up your work flow, how a track is broken down into sections, how to write music that's interesting to the listener, how to insure your daw is set to be more of a musical tool, how to get your name out there, etc.

It's a pretty cool video even if you don't use ableton. He used to sell the video with some ableton racks off his website. He's a cool speaker. He goes into keeping a note book of your thoughts on you and keeping it by your bed to write down things as soon as you wake up, just weird little tips like that.

I thought it was kinda interesting when I watched it. Might be useful to you, might not.

I have to say though if you make and only listen to dnb you will have a problem with production for a LONG time. Fast track by broadening the spectrum of tracks you listen to.

I can't agree with this enough! Drum and bass was founded on a culture of a musical freedom. Hence it's broad genre base. Really it's characteristics are simply fast breakbeats and a prominent sub bass. What you do in and around that criteria is seriously open source, I think most dnb producers, ecspecially ones who could do a masterclass tend to have some sort of a background in another genre that they bring to dnb. Sometimes a lot more than just one genre. Sometimes they love sampling jazz others they like playing jazz, sometimes they'll use lots of creepy sound design. All to taste.

This!

D&B started off as being a melting point of influences.

maybe completely offtopic, anyone know of a nice masterclass or youtube clip in which making lead sounds is shown? the sound itself and a pattern

maybe completely offtopic, anyone know of a nice masterclass or youtube clip in which making lead sounds is shown? the sound itself and a pattern

I don't know of any DnB ones off the top of my head. There are a lot of electro house ones on youtube though. Like "super saw" style leads in massive. Might find some of them usefull.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I've found although there's a lot of good production masterclasses out there, they nearly always seem to focus on more technical aspects of making tunes like mixdowns, sound design etc.

I just wondered if there are any that really focus on good writing techniques? Obviously you can't really teach someone the instinct to write great music but there must be a lot of music writing techniques the pros often follow, either by pure habit or perhaps for some instant inspiration whenever they get stuck...

This is just something I think should be focused on way more in these tutorials as it's all well and good being a mixdown genius but not a lot of use if your tune is pretty average in the first place!

Just listen more closely how songs in general are stuctured, use a reference track and actually copy where everything hits, like actually copy it. Ive done this a few times in the past to know what sounds to put where etc. Once you have that basis it all becomes second nature.

Pretty much what sammy said.

Just listen more closely how songs in general are stuctured, use a reference track and actually copy where everything hits, like actually copy it. Ive done this a few times in the past to know what sounds to put where etc. Once you have that basis it all becomes second nature.

Pretty much what sammy said.

Yeah man, think it's something I should have done a long time ago, probably got too proud and thought I was above copying other people's tracks but the more I think about it it's probably exactly what I need just to get more familiar with that sort of thing.

There is a video recording of an ill gates ableton seminar he did a wile back. He talks about how to speed up your work flow, how a track is broken down into sections, how to write music that's interesting to the listener, how to insure your daw is set to be more of a musical tool, how to get your name out there, etc.

It's a pretty cool video even if you don't use ableton. He used to sell the video with some ableton racks off his website. He's a cool speaker. He goes into keeping a note book of your thoughts on you and keeping it by your bed to write down things as soon as you wake up, just weird little tips like that.

I thought it was kinda interesting when I watched it. Might be useful to you, might not.

is this the ill gates video you're talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, that's the video.. It's got some really cool process and thinking ideas in it. I believe that's the free one he put up, but the second part of it can be purchased from his website. I think it's 3 videos total, and comes with some ableton racks and chains he made.

He also sells other ableton templates geared at performing with live. He's a really cool dude, i meet him in LA and got a chance to talk with him shorty. He has cool way of thinking and visualizing things in an artistic way. He was going to school for graffic design until he started making music and teaching music full time.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I ended up watching that video after you mentioned it, it's a great masterclass-style vid. not like your typical masterclass or production seminar, i'd classify it as a motivational speech geared at production. he has a great philosophy for bringing organization, structure and focus to music making. it was really good, he adopted alot of motivational philosophies and tailored them to production. what are part 2 & 3 like? i'm thinking of buying it, that first part was really interesting.

Listen to Goldie, he shows an interesting insight into his process of writing a tune. This is a real nice video, his comments on texture, movement and stability are nice concepts, and also his talking about arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up watching that video after you mentioned it, it's a great masterclass-style vid. not like your typical masterclass or production seminar, i'd classify it as a motivational speech geared at production. he has a great philosophy for bringing organization, structure and focus to music making. it was really good, he adopted alot of motivational philosophies and tailored them to production. what are part 2 & 3 like? i'm thinking of buying it, that first part was really interesting.

It's freaking sweet hu! Makes you wanna go jump into your DAW and start banging out tunes right after you watch it. motivational speech is a great way to describe it.

I can't remember how the others are broken up... I didn't watch the whole one you posted again so I'm not sure exactly where it left off. I'd have to look through my notes... I took very good notes on all of his speaches. He talks about having a note book to write down ideas and give youself weekly production goals to meet. So I got a note book and used the first part to take in debt notes on what he covered.

I do know that me goes over song structure and breaks music down into sections... Gives them a (A) (B) (A2) (B2) and (C) classification. He makes a tune live in ableton... Nothing fancy (some trip hope tune) but does it to show the sections of songs he broke down and described.

He also talks about how to forward your carrier in music and promote yourself. Talks about making a DJ name that sounds like something people have heard before... So when people hear your name, they think they've already heard of you "oh yeah, i know that dudes stuff". And how to get fans, how to send out emails to fans, get them to read it but not spam them in the process. Give them an update on you (shows, future releases, etc), but also give them something free each time... like a free tune to download. That way people know when they see an email from you, there's always gonna be something cool inside of it. Bassnecta does this a lot. He also covers insuring that your website, logos, and other media content are professional looking. If you look and act legit, people will treat you as legit and someone that has "made it".

I hope that helps you some, like I said... I can't remember it all and I don't know we're the video you posted ends at.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom