Production In Its Entirety!!!

Big_Basha

STS/Caution
my ? is kinda simple i think, someone help me out... i have a low line, dell labtop, only 18 GB total space, pentium lll, ect... not bad but not great, anyways, i started with fruity loops, i have logic installed also, but can't figure that out. so i'm just messin w/ FL and its comin along pretty easy, alot diff than i expected, now that logic i could use some help with, any tips or suggestions... other than those 2 apps what else could i install that i will eventually need to complete some tunes????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy some sample CD's, learn your equipment (RTFM), read production forums like here and the Grid, don't beg established producers for tips, do it your own way, study other people's tunes that you like, understand your target audience, know what it's like to dj and write dj-friendly tunes, listen to all kinds of music for ideas (classical, rock, jazz), devote yourself to it for 3-5 years, and you'll be where I am now - finding out that it's all about enjoying yourself. If you aren't, then quit!!!

if your thinking of sampling drum loops forget it, make em yourself. sampling other stuffs fine. use something like cool edit pro or similar. what you do want is any of those native bundle plugin packs coz you can use em though fruity, and they amzi ng really.

ya i was on www.waves.com its a great site, just a little to expensive:teeth: .... i picked up t-racks 24, that looks like its pretty essential, www.t-racks.com and those bundles like the Gold bundle look great, yo Free Agent, sorry to dis ya b4 thanks for the help bruv... great advice, i will read that mofo, i realized not to sample breaks... just kicks, and all... then edit em until u get what u want, or it comes close to "tunes you like" looks like i'm on the right path... this shits a fulll time job... ez... more advice welcome esp. on logic and all that!

hell of a lot of tunes use sampled loops. its not about using a premade sound, it's about editing, slicing, pitching, compressing, EQ:ing, twistin, turning .... the use of breaks is largely popular because real drums have funk instead of machine drums or single different hits. I've seen peeps who get ready loops from sample CD:s and use them as-delivered.

But if you like them synthetic beats more then go for battery for drum sampler, easy layering, volume control all that.

and log, i'd say u should try maybe halion... i dunno it's the only one i've used. I'm at the moment getting into software samplers.

In my opinion you should learn the basics. You firstly need to realise that you are not going to create amazing tunes in 1 week or month or possibly even up to a year. I recommend you just fiddle with all the music software, this way you learn how to make unique sounds.

I recommend that you don't use too many premade samples, this is because firstly you don't want to be dependant on other sources to make your new sound and secondly if you make your own samples its from your soul- you made everything.

An important thing is to just use individual drum samples and knock together your own rhythms, this way your'll learn d'n'b/ jungle drum conventions. A lot of ppl will help u on here.

But the most important thing by far is learning to design your own sounds by synth programming, I started learning in reason on the subtractor synth now im starting to use Reaktor building my own plugins.

I started fiddling with music software about two years ago and now all the pieces are falling nicely into place. You should definetly be a keen DJ this helps you find out what the audience likes in music and it is a very valuable resource. Also buy music production magazines such as future music and computer music etc, they have good tutorials on music theory/software.

mer
:drums:

Fruity on its own is fine as long as you eventually get some good plugins.
Best advice I can give is to read up on what the effects do and learn them inside out so that when you have an idea you can get it right as quickly as possible.

There was nothing more frustrating to me than not being able to make the style that I wanted to because I had to limit myself to what I could do at the time.

I'll break away from what most people have said and say that there's a time for sampled breaks and a time for using individual drum sounds. Neither will sound like each other so learn how to use both.

make sure you use interesting sounds, that way you can make it dancefloor or whatever but still take people on a ride

Lastly analyse the styles you like and try to get to the fundamentals of what they're doing, like the rhythms and flows of the track, or melodic side of things. That way you can capture the vibe without ripping the track off. It's not always the most obvious things about the style that make them what they are.

breakzhead said:
In my opinion you should learn the basics. You firstly need to realise that you are not going to create amazing tunes in 1 week or month or possibly even up to a year. I recommend you just fiddle with all the music software, this way you learn how to make unique sounds.

I recommend that you don't use too many premade samples, this is because firstly you don't want to be dependant on other sources to make your new sound and secondly if you make your own samples its from your soul- you made everything.

An important thing is to just use individual drum samples and knock together your own rhythms, this way your'll learn d'n'b/ jungle drum conventions. A lot of ppl will help u on here.

But the most important thing by far is learning to design your own sounds by synth programming, I started learning in reason on the subtractor synth now im starting to use Reaktor building my own plugins.

I started fiddling with music software about two years ago and now all the pieces are falling nicely into place. You should definetly be a keen DJ this helps you find out what the audience likes in music and it is a very valuable resource. Also buy music production magazines such as future music and computer music etc, they have good tutorials on music theory/software.

mer
:drums:

making your own beats/samples, etc. is fine, but when someone's first starting out, learning their software (which can be a bit intimidating at first) it might be a good idea to get an understanding of how to arrange a song first---cuz it doesn't matter if you've got some awesome self-made drum loops or whatever if you don't know how to put a song together, and on the flip side, i've heard too many people who are just starting out and are adamant about making their own beats and everything, and the beats and everything aren't very good cuz of the simple fact that they're just starting out and haven't learned the basics yet...like you said, learn the basics first, and i mean the basics as far as arranging a song-- get some decent samples, play with em, experiment and get a feel for how a song should be put together...cuz no one's gonna have a top-quality tune when they're first starting out, so who cares if you're using pre-made loops during this time...once you get the feel for putting a tune together, then you can worry about making your own beats and everything else (cuz after using pre-made loops for awhile, you'll get to the point where you wanna start making your own anyways) and hopefully by then you'll have a better understanding of how everything works...cuz there's no sense in trying to learn 100 different things at once, why make things more difficult for yourself? in the end, tho, to each his own....

Back
Top Bottom