Production Headphones

John Mountains

Hey guys I'm in desperate need of some new headphones.
Anyone got a good pair they can recommend?
Don't really have a set budget in mind right now so it kinda depends...

I like my Beyerdynamics and have the Audio Technicas as well. I'lll say that the DT770s are better for making tracks, they have a better balance. I use the AT's for dj'ing and listening to music, not making it.

My 3-year-old pair of ATH-M50x's will always have a very special place in my heart

Already said this on DOA, but I bought my pair of these 2 days ago. I tried like one and a half dozen other headphones (from 100€-280€ price range) in the store too but none of them sounded as good to my ears as m50x. It's worth saying that my test songs were semi-aggressive stuff such as Noisia/Knife Party/new Break/Dawn Wall etc. which might be the reason why, for example Beyerdynamics (770/880/990) didn't sound as good, since the have sharper high mids/lower treble than m50x.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro for about 4 years now and they sound just great. Mind they’re semi-open, so you’ll basically hear anything happening in the room.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro for about 4 years now and they sound just great. Mind they’re semi-open, so you’ll basically hear anything happening in the room.

I guess it's subjective. There are all shapes of ears and ear canals after all. Differences in hearing too.

Btw, OP did you ever buy anything or even come back to this thread?

I moved from my DJ Senheisser HD25s to Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ...bargain for the sound quality.Made such a difference!

what headphone amps do you guys use?
Edit: or do you use headphone amps? Interface direct? Headphone jack of your computer?

Last edited:
I use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's and Sennheiser CMX 300-II earphones (some hi-fi earphones) for actual arrangement and getting ideas down quickly. I don't EQ or mix on them generally, because I know that i'll will fuck my levels up. Most of the EQing and mixing down is done on my monitors.

Back
Top Bottom