Production Essentials And Basics

LineOne

The Cubase Man
Thinking Of Starting Out Producing???

Heres What Youll Need.

A DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)

Cubase, Fruityloops, Reason, Logic, Ableton and so on.
You can get free alternatives to these programmes and you can find them on this thread :

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=16610

A DAW is used for creating your music. They usually come with plugins to generate sounds and effects. They are the main tool for your music making and if u ent got one u ent got much chance lol.

-------------------------------------------------------

A Good Audio Interface

This is what you will connect your monitors too. You can either get audio interfaces in,

Usb
Pci
Firewire
and i think midi

------------------------------------------------------

Some Monitor Speakers

These are used for mixing down and mastering of your project. They let you hear a bigger range of frequencies than normal speakers and hey let you know how your music ACTUALLY sounds. (also known as truth speakers)

------------------------------------------------------

A midi keyboard/controller

This is used to control your DAW software and also create melodies, basslines and so on. Its basically the same as a normal keyboard except they link to your daw and record the keys you play through midi.

this is not an essential but it will make producing alot lot easier.

----------------------------------------------------

some vst's if your using a prog that uses them.

u can get alot of good free ones from kvr audio. search it on google man.
also remember vsti is an instrumen and vst is an effect ;)

---------------------------------------------------

I cant think of anything else yet. Feel free to add to this as you please.

Also any chance of this being a sticky? i seen alot of posts from people asking what they need to start out. Will save going over it time and time again.

Thanks

Last edited:
Some nice VSTs and the plugin "Simple tremolo"

And Samples: psitech on filefront. I THINK filefront.com/psitech

and i think midi

I dont think you do!,

but I wish someone had stuck this list under my nose a few years ago!

I would recomend this book:
51NBF1CK97L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronica...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198748500&sr=8-1

Its not dnb specific, infact the dnb bit is a bit crap, but for getting started correctly and quickly its excellent!

lolz. nah i don think u can either after looking a bit lol.

yeah i wish sum1 had made this list for me too. when i first started out there was me thinking i needed like a proper analogue studio setup aswell as a daw. didn realise that ^^ was all i needed to do digital music. i woulda saved me alot of time finding out lol

Bit confused perhaps - MIDI isn't audio (it's just a list of instructions) so you wouldn't find an interface that connected to your computer through a MIDI cable/port - it's impossible.

You can however of course get USB/Firewire/PCI interfaces with MIDI ins/outs on.

Back
Top Bottom