Production disturbances

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
I'd like to know how many others suffer the way I do.

Generally I get a couple of hours undisturbed production time when I get home from work. Then the wife comes home! I live in a 1 bed flat so my studio is set up in the corner of my living room, I'm considerate and produce on my headphones while she is watching tv, but at least every 5-10 minutes she will try and talk to me, I'll remove the headphones to engage conversation then replace when I think the chat is over, then she'll talk again lol! Rinse and repeat every evening!!!! Argh!!!

i have one hour max after work to write beats, then again the missus comes home. She starts complaining after about ten minute, saying that shes bored of hearing the same sound being played over and over again. Its pretty annoying...... but i see where she comes from. If she works weekends though, that is my time to go for it, but sods law the creative juices normally wont be flowing. Theres nothing more annoying than someone interupting you constantly when youve got the flow going good.

If i were you, i would arrange for her to go off for a week somewhere, it will be money well spent!

I'd like to know how many others suffer the way I do.

Generally I get a couple of hours undisturbed production time when I get home from work. Then the wife comes home! I live in a 1 bed flat so my studio is set up in the corner of my living room, I'm considerate and produce on my headphones while she is watching tv, but at least every 5-10 minutes she will try and talk to me, I'll remove the headphones to engage conversation then replace when I think the chat is over, then she'll talk again lol! Rinse and repeat every evening!!!! Argh!!!

hahahahah....mate exactly the same, i get annoyed aswell and then end like "what now!" sort of thing, then i got two kids trying to nick my headphones, or touch the keypad.....most of the time i get nothing done in this case

fortunately (or unfortunately) i don't have a misses....and my only good friend is 6000 miles away.

So when i'm not working i have all my spare time to work on my beats, but quite often when i get in from work i'm waaaay too tired to even consider it and end up just watching cartoons or sleeping.

What's annoying is i have all my best ideas when i'm sat on my arse doing nothing at work, and when i get home, i can't translate those ideas into sound and end up forgetting them.

Hammered down last night and got something pretty damn good imo. Today's my day off, so probably gonna spend most of the day making sounds.

fortunately (or unfortunately) i don't have a misses....and my only good friend is 6000 miles away.

So when i'm not working i have all my spare time to work on my beats, but quite often when i get in from work i'm waaaay too tired to even consider it and end up just watching cartoons or sleeping.

What's annoying is i have all my best ideas when i'm sat on my arse doing nothing at work, and when i get home, i can't translate those ideas into sound and end up forgetting them.

Hammered down last night and got something pretty damn good imo. Today's my day off, so probably gonna spend most of the day making sounds.

n1w3mq.png

I get in a right mood if i'm disturbed writing music, fortunetly its my job so ppl are more understanding when i ignore them, well, kinda, but i'm a stubborn cunt so i dont care too much :D probly why i'm not married to haha

sorted...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.caustic&hl=en

Haha, yeah I live with my missus too but luckily we have a 2 bedroom place so I have a whole studio I can just lock myself away in- wouldn't have it any other way! Time is precious and when you need I need to get work done I always leave my phone away from the studio, make sure I've eaten enough and have a drink handy!

interdasting....anything similar for IOS? i know there's a mini fruity loops and cubase, but i hear they're not all that great

nothing comes close unfortunetly, u'll have to get a proper smartphone :D

seems like most of you's guys are over in the UK, well i'm across the pond on the east coast of the US and face the same challenge. i get home from work, take care of the dogs/cat and i get one hour of time to myself to work on music before my wife gets home. what's funny is i turned our spare bedroom into my "music room" where i have my technics, mixer, monitor speakers, synths, imac in there. but i barely ever get to use that room because of constant interruptions.

so what i end up doing is, i have a really nice laptop for work and i bought a virus ti snow. so while my wife chills in the bedroom, i'm sitting up in bed too. instead of making music in the spare bedroom with all my gear, i make music on my laptop with some sony mdr-7506 headphones and the virus snow i keep on my nightstand (went with the snow cuz its size was perfect to fit on my nightstand on top of a copy of PIHKAL and TIHKAL hahah), an ext hdd with all my files/etc on it i keep under the bed with a long USB cable so i just plug it into my laptop. i get interrupted less when i'm in the same room with her with headphones on, i think she just likes having me in the same room. i still get interruptions but not as bad as when i'm in the spare bedroom that has all my gear. it's funny but it sucks. thank god we don't have kids! making a little "my side of the bed" mini studio i seemed to get less interruptions than when i'm in with my real gear.

i remember watching a Rusko masterclass vid where he says to give your girl some "quid" (aka "loot" for us americans who never heard the word quid before lol) and send her to the store or beauty shop to buy yourself a few hours.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who faces these daily challenges! Seems to be a common theme with us producer types! I don't think they understand what it means to us.

I seem to have the complete opposite situation to you guys lol

No missus,
No kids,
Live at home,
No one cares about the volume of my speakers, but I'm just completely shit at making music lol

nothing comes close unfortunetly, u'll have to get a proper smartphone :D

Sorry but completely wrong. Check out Nanostudio, or any of the other dozen or so iPhone DAWs. Also, android has HORRENDOUS latency and is unsuitable for music production at a pro level.

Sorry but completely wrong. Check out Nanostudio, or any of the other dozen or so iPhone DAWs. Also, android has HORRENDOUS latency and is unsuitable for music production at a pro level.

pro level music production on a phone? leave it out haha have you heard the term managing expectations?

nanostudio looks nice, but dont give me no 'pro level production' sillyness, phones are great for sketches and nothing more, they are a very long way off being pro level, for both android and iOS

I live alone without any disturbances at all but still I have the hardest time to stay focused on what I'm doing. I can sit 1h tops before I see something next to my computer that looks interesting. Most of the time I just make small edits to the track, walk away for some time and comes back and so on. I'm not the most effective person to be honest. Maybe I should get some of those things they put on race horses to screen off their vision.

Also internet is the worst... always someone typing to you on facebook or something like that when you think 'ah, let's get some stuff done'.

Back
Top Bottom