PRODUCTION COMPETITION FEEDBACK

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
http://soundcloud.com/dnbforum-production-comp/sets/dnbforum-production-competition

All these people deserve some good hard critisim for their effort, and this is the place I encourage people to do it.

I'll go indepth with each track, give me time to get to them all, I'm going in order.

Track A: Seems like the beeps in the background are off beat, and don't fit all that well. Sounds like the high end is lacking in the mix, I would have preferred a more immense drop, the snare seems to be lacking a punch of an attack (which could be helped with an enveleop shaper) near 3:45 or so it seems to get messy with the bassline in a bad way, it's typical jump up so I won't slag on originality :P

Pros: It's got some nice rhythm going, and a good bassline I'd say and it sounds like it's be pretty nice in a club honestly. Keep it up, get more creative in the process.

Track B: That bassline sounds nonexistent to me, work on that low end. The kick drum should be centered, but the hats more stereo. It would be nice to hear the use of reverb on your hats, or drums in general, as it seems like that's the sort of feel you would go for, and you have lots of room in the mix and beats and such. Near the end, it was getting repetitive. You drums lacked presence in the mix in my opinion. I think more punch to the drums wouldn't hurt, as I could imagine it now with real hard hitting beats, and it wouldn't ruin the chill side to things.

Pros: Nice hihat pattern I would say, it's real chill and something fresh. A decent melody and creative use of that sample in the vox and misc. section (?) and it had a nice feel to it.

More coming up

was thinking people read critisims and it can alter their opinions of the tune.
was just saying cud you do this afterwards......

edit - actullay your right please ignore what ive said.
sorry
Jim

Last edited:
http://soundcloud.com/dnbforum-production-comp/sets/dnbforum-production-competition

All these people deserve some good hard critisim for their effort, and this is the place I encourage people to do it.

I'll go indepth with each track, give me time to get to them all, I'm going in order.

Track A: Seems like the beeps in the background are off beat, and don't fit all that well. Sounds like the high end is lacking in the mix, I would have preferred a more immense drop, the snare seems to be lacking a punch of an attack (which could be helped with an enveleop shaper) near 3:45 or so it seems to get messy with the bassline in a bad way, it's typical jump up so I won't slag on originality :P

Pros: It's got some nice rhythm going, and a good bassline I'd say and it sounds like it's be pretty nice in a club honestly. Keep it up, get more creative in the process.

Track B: That bassline sounds nonexistent to me, work on that low end. The kick drum should be centered, but the hats more stereo. It would be nice to hear the use of reverb on your hats, or drums in general, as it seems like that's the sort of feel you would go for, and you have lots of room in the mix and beats and such. Near the end, it was getting repetitive. You drums lacked presence in the mix in my opinion. I think more punch to the drums wouldn't hurt, as I could imagine it now with real hard hitting beats, and it wouldn't ruin the chill side to things.

Pros: Nice hihat pattern I would say, it's real chill and something fresh. A decent melody and creative use of that sample in the vox and misc. section (?) and it had a nice feel to it.

More coming up

Did you enter Rev? i thought i remembered *you saying that you was going to enter.

Last edited:
Did you enter Rev? i thought i remembered *you saying that you was going to enter.

Yeah I entered, my chances for winning don't look good at all haha. It's not terrible mind you that, it was stuck in a few people's heads after hearing it

Track C: I can barely hear that pad, in the intro, maybe on purpose? but later on in the song, I'd like to hear it boosted aswell. The whole tune feels like a great big intro to me, I don't hear many changes, or a string of notes that signify that this isn't the intro anymore. I'd like to hear more things going on, create a soundscape. If you're going for that spacey wide feel, then some reverb or delays would make this tune, try listening to some alix perez and copy him. I'd turn down the volume on those bongos and bring up the kick and snare and make them more in the mix. If your kick is going for that deep barely audible feel, I didn't hear it, I'd like some more punch in the lower end of that sucker.

Pros: That second pad is haunting, it's really nice and chill. I am digging that snare clap beat, that hi hat pattern gives me the chills! The bassline is written well too!

Track D: The lead arp that comes in around 20 seconds doesn't seem to fit well in the song somehow, I'd take it out or make it much different. I didn't like it when the kick rolled, it seems not punchy enough to have the proper impact of that, maybe if it wasn't clicky sounding? There doesn't seem to be a flow about the tune, it seems things don't fit well in a sense, it's a specific feel I'm thinking of when a song grooves well, and this doesn't have it, it seems like this was put together as an experimental song, and it doesn't seem to have any dancefloor potential.

Pros: Best use of vocals I've heard in this competition. Proper chilling if the song was redone a bit and mastered. That snare was well made from the samples you were given! It'd have to give you props once again on those vocals.

More coming up

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Track E: You maybe could have done more with the vocals than pitched them down.I would have recommenced resampling at 1:33 or so that bassline with the phaser on it and doing more with it, and resampling it until the phaser is at a different stage in development, winding up not down, if you know what I mean? Ok I've been saying this alot, but I'd turn down those bongos a little bit. I would have entended that breakdown and would have worked on the outro more. I would have expected more insane edits.

Pros: I'm going to be biased here because I think your tune is mega fucking fat, but I liked the bassline, the drums, the little bits throughout the song that made it interesting. It had that special feel to it, everything went well together, like you planned the tune out well before.

Track F: That distortion in the intro was a bit much perhaps, make sure not to cut more than a 1/4 into the waveform when inspecting it. The drums enter the intro in a weird time. This seems chaotic, in a bad way, at 40 seconds in that pad makes no sense and the drop wasn't what it could have been. The drums have this weird sound to them on the hihats. The bassline doesn't seem to be mono all the time, and the at 1:40 or so in, that second bassline made me cringe, and it seemed like a terrible attempt at being filthy, and the pads did not fit well with the song to say the least. After the second drop, you do the unthinkable, WIDELY PANNED BASSLINES. throw that out the window man, or atleast split your bassline up and only pan the higher frequencies. Turn down that distortion aswell, it doesn't have the grit you wanted. I may be harsh here, but you'll remember what not to do next time if I be an asshole for a second, this wasn't too good. But hey, you must be starting out, and if you're not, then you're in for a rude awakening.

Pros: The first bassline bit at 44 seconds in or so was well done I'd say, creative uses of the bassline samples in general. Keep going at it!

Not that I can offer any decent criticism to any one here, as I'm still looking for some opposable thumps in this lark - but I love the baseline and it's sound in the first tune. Totally stomping! :)

Back
Top Bottom