Production Bullshit and inconsistancies!

Well said ART!

Same thing works for me. I'm working on building a live performance, which is opening my mind a lot, out of production only.

So, yep, definetely it's an eyes opener use the sound manipulation skills to develope other projects than production.
It will defo give benefits on the afterwards way to approach production! :)

@mr. fletch: it was a big suprise for me to read this. i always admired your tracks and your big contribution on this forum. i think you shouldn't push yourself to hard. you should be proud of what you produced and achieved so far! take your time and the flow comes back... i'm shure. keep up!

p.s. i had the same problems as you describe, but was never a good producer and i did not came up with a finished track ever ;o). because of a change of my job and due to my frustration i stopped producing for about 1 year now... but now i think it's time to get back on track... i would be very happy if i would manage to produce one single track with the same quality level as one of yours in the next 4-5 years...

hey man,

Didn't read all the other posts cause I just came here very quickly! So sorry if I repeat anything thats been said

But anyways man, don't give up! You are a sick producer and your head is filled with valuable knowledge :) If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be where I am with production now and I am certain there are other members of the forum that can say the same!

I really don't know what other styles of music you dig but it sounds to me like you need to do something completely new for a while? :) Like not even electronic music if possible? Do you play guitar or anything? When I am finding the whole bass music thing a bit stale I will quite often pick up the guitar and just jam out for a few hours a day, even end recording tunes sometimes, even though it is on a usb mic :lol: But yeah man, maybe try learn an instrument that interests you? or maybe making hip hop beats? Its all about keeping stuff fresh in my opinion and then when you return to what was boring you the ideas start flooooooooowing again!

Cheers

hahahahahahaha god damn it kronix chill your roll. FIrst off youre a great producer... probably one of the best that Ive been reviewing and getting reviewed by on this forum (no offense to everyone else yall are hella good too)

and Im on the EXACT same page mate!!! seriously all the questions you brought up hit right at home man....

I have realized that its come down to my ego not wanting to look at tuts anymore to get help producing because I find myself thinking im good enough to not need help
OHHH how wrong i am

just needed to get over that and get back to fundamentals so to speak.

it also comes down to luck bru, resampling seemed an annoying and unnecessary thing for me in terms of drums but i finally got around to it and luckily got a good work process started that pointed me in the right direction for resampling.

so just take a breath homie and just keep doing what you do haha

cheers

Yah West.
He knows that...
He doesn't event write anymore on this, but he's there reading and making up his mind right now!
Was just looking for some support!

Big up Mr.!!!
We r all with u, can't u see?!
;)

Last edited:
Write something else just for the sake of writing it, something fun.
Plugging in a controller and just jamming out without worrying about sound design works too.

Also, lol @ the noisia comment, the fuck?

If I were you, I would switch on my outboard gear, Hit record and just sit there messing around and going with the flow.

Don't have any structure, premeditated thoughts or anywhere you want to take the sounds. You will eventually hit a spark and run with it :)

Fletch,

. Also the guys you were referencing were big names (people like Noisia I think) but they produce shit bass that has no thought put into it, especially the proper lows that drum and bass should produce. Also they don't produce drum and bass. That is a big problem- if you are desiring sounds from genres like dub step or whatever those tunes you referenced were (speed garage/dub step/grime- it all sounds bad to me unless it is drum and bass).

umm.....

I think you need to go back and do your research before making comments thats make you look like an uneducated fool my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
:grouphug:

I seem to be at the exact same stage mate. I've veered off and started to do some bassy house and shit. Try some different genres man. Do anything but give it time and you'll get back into the swing of it.

Also, I find leaving the DAW for a few weeks and then just bashing out a shit load of tracks in a few days. They'll be shit but at least they'll get you going again! You can always come back to them and improve and re-do things. Also, try and maybe move the studio round a little bit. A new-ish environment might sort out your feng shui a bit and you might be able to get your head into it? I dunno... I'm just vamping now...

Wish I could be arsed to give more advice but I'm a little bit drunk and very tired. More will come soon if I remember to post.

You have what it takes man. You know it. You just need to give it a bit of time.

Also... here, watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately I've found myself in a similar situation. I can achieve all of the extremely sought after crazy FM patches to the best minimal basses, have all of the samples i could possibly need etc... but most of what I make I feel is garbage. It all just sounds like something that didn't translate well from my head you know. I feel that maybe I've spent so much time learning synthesis, re-sampling, proper mixing, and even dabbled into some mastering that I lost the original spark that made making music so fun.

So If I make a good tune I finish and like then I try to not even open FL for at least a few days to let my urge to want to produce build up a bit so that when I do sit down to produce I have more ideas that I've been sitting on a few days. Now the only way I manage to not open FL is to get outta the house if I'm home, like go out hiking and soak up some mother nature ya know so that I'm not at the computer with the natural reflex to open FL up haha. I find this has really helped keep more fun in production while still doing all of my own sound design, mixing etc as I'm sure you do!

I'd also like to just give a thanks to the other posters throughout this thread who have posted suggestions to Mr.Fletch as they've also given me some more ideas to keep the fun in music production so let's keep this thread going please!

Apologies for dissing Noisia and not acknowledging their d&b contributions. Actually. if you read what I wrote I said 'people like Noisia...' Anyways I can't be bothered to argue that one. What I was suggesting is that the bass Fletch was referencing in his bass thread was not the sort that d&b (IMO) benefits from, especially the way that many modern artists overemphasize.

Where have I been for 5 years? China- The last 10. So yeah I haven't been up to date. I still feel a lot of you guys (and myself included) are spending too much time and over-processing bass. I am having time out from production now but I know when I start again I'll keep it very simple and use Hardware samplers. I don't think it is too cool to drum your ears full of bass eight hours a day and produce sounds you are not happy with. The practice makes perfect theory is similar to what I get from Chinese English learners every day. 'I will study hard'. It sounds almost moronic...

Everybody from California to China loves you Fletch. That should count for something.:grouphug: You will come around. Until then just simply have fun making music and fuck the production value.

yea i get writers block more than usual these days but just as it seemed to go away my pc fucked up.lol

Back
Top Bottom