Production Bullshit and inconsistancies!

Discussion in 'Production' started by Mr Fletch, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Sometimes I feel like I'm actually un-learning stuff! For the 1st couple of years of producing I was like a sponge, soaking up all the info I could and learning new tricks constantly. But over the last year or so I find myself at a point I hope none of you ever get to. It's honestly horrific! I almost always have writers block, I almost always get frustrated with myself and as of right now, I seem to to be lost with my music. Nothing sounds good, not even remotely worth saving. I started trying to learn the art of bass resampling, but that seems to have just fallen apart too! I cannot get the sounds I so desperately crave.

Splitting bass frequencies - Used to do it all the time, and it worked great, now all of a sudden, when I split my bass freqs, I go one of two ways, it either sounds like its missing too many frequencies, and the seperate levels do not sound like one sound, or there seem to be too many frequencies and its a fucking muddy mess, and sounds like I'm doing a fart shit on a babies chest, its that horrible!

EQ - Now I know I had this nailed a while back, but now I cant seem to EQ for shit! Nothing more to be said on this subject, it just is what it is!

Melodies - Alot of you older members of the community will remember when I wrote alot of liquid stuff, my melodies were pretty good, now though, all a load of wank, same bullshit two or three note combo's keep popping up! Stale as fuck!

Structures - I used to be at an ok level when it comes to building a whole track, and working it from one section to the next, but now I find that if I'm even lucky enough to overcome the last few obstacles I've mentioned, I end up in fucking loop mong and cannot move the track forward!

Right now I am so pissed at myself, I almost want to self harm! Anyway, thats my rant over with Fuck the world, and fuck music production!!!!! Actually i dont really mean that last bit, I love producing music, I just wish I could be better at it!

2. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

I had a feeling this was going to happen.
    You've been too quiet lately.

Try harder bro!
    You know that yourself! ;)

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I am fella! It's absolutely killing me, I'm watching guys come here as amatuers, not knowing the basics, and within a few months to a year, surpassing me by miles and producing absolute belters! And hats off to em, they deserve it! But I seem to be putting hours and hours into it, only to be going in reverse, and getting worse and worse!

4. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

m8 i feel it.
    thought i was getting somewhere with my tunes - but over last year seem to have forgotten loads of shit i used to know.
    get the 8 bar loop then mind blank shit happening as well lol
    not that i was any good before but i feel ive gone backwards this year.
    But i realise this year i have been opening daw and getting pissed off and closing it real quick. so trying not to do that so much.
    and i think i am getting back into it again slowly.
    hope you get over this hurdle m8 cos your tunes are well nice.

5. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

That sucks, you say about not being able to create melodies like you used to.. perhaps you should change things up a bit and try sampling some old tunes or stuff you like, messing with it, chop it up etc. to create something new. I realise you mostly make neurofunk type tracks nowadays.. which kinda rules out sampling anything for a more 'liquid' sound.. but maybe its worth it to try something completely new.. a different genre or style. You might have already tried this, in which case.. I dunno man :( Writers block is the worst

6. Rajstah Vibe

Just wait to get Live 9 bro!
    I'm already excited...

Have some collaborations, it help to unblock sometimes.

I'll be up for collabs on late January.

Make sure u'll be there!!!! ;)

7. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

maybe you need 'inspiration' or drive? a new niche or a different direction? there is much to do, i guess you already took a break, but i always found i couldn't force it when i tried so i would look somewhere else

8. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

Hey man!
    I also felt like this was coming. When I first came here, you were one of the first guys to comment on one of my tunes. I looked up to you back then and I still do. You have a lot of talent in making music, but as of late I feel like you are trying to push yourself to make music, which is not a good thing at all. Here's something I've been thinking about your production, I may be wrong , I sure as hell hope it doesn't offend you , but above all I hope it helps you a little:

Take a break from making music. That's the first step, that break can be 5 minutes, an hour, a week , a month, hell even a year (but I hope it doesn't take that long). That break will be the time you need to gather your thoughts. What was the reason you started to make music in the first place? What were the feelings that drove you towards making music? Try to get those thoughts back and compare them to where you are now. You clearly still feel the need to produce, but the ideas behind the production may be wrong.

Second step is waiting. Why waiting? because you have to. I've been making electronic music for 3 years now, but I've been playing guitar for many, many more. When I wrote my first song on the guitar , I was so happy, I don't think anything can compare to that moment. But I quickly got bored of that first song, I enjoyed the fact that my family was proud of me for making that song and it gave me an overall good feeling. So I wanted to make a new song as quickly as possible, with the only reason to make sure that people would like it as much as the last one. This is where I went wrong, making music should always be a process that is caused by inspiration and should always be something that you do for yourself in the first place. Think about that for a while. Let things rest , listen to your favorite music and think about what you like about it. Read a book , watch movies, absorb atmospheres or even do a simple thing such as taking a walk. Don't expect inspiration to magically appear after you did this either, Inspiration is that one friend that you really really like , but lives very far away from you and only visits you by surprise when he's in the neighborhood :)

And lastly, stop staring yourself blind at the technical side of stuff. This is probably the thing that I feel might be the biggest problem with your production. For example, you commented on one of my tunes called "fracture" that you really liked the tune. Did I resample my basslines 100 times? nope. Did I apply frequency splitting? Nope. Did I do extensive EQ'ing? Nope, not at all. The only thing I played with was some small eq-tweaking on the drums , volumes and some simple distortions. All the rest happened at the absolute base. Right sample choice and making a good synthesizer in Massive. I'm not saying I'm a great producer or anything, I'm just saying that it's something you might want to think about. Try making a tune where the bassline is just one synth, and still making it sound fat, before you try to resample basslines and use complicated fx chains, then move on towards other , more complicated stuff. I'm not saying your resampling or your new tracks are bad, I just think that you should move in steps instead of trying to take leaps. Because taking leaps... well that might leave you with musical constipation :)
    You are a great producer with great talent and skill, but sometimes I feel like you want too much at once. Wait for things to flow naturally an try to do something aside from production that also involves your creative abilities and I think you'll be making sick tracks again in no time :)

9. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Why do you produce?

Have you lost your muse?

Are you getting so bogged down with the technical you forgot the artistic side?

Are you trying to make your music sound like something in particular? However, you seem to have your own style that you don't consider up to par with?

Do you except and appreciate your own music?

10. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

@horace111, I am certainly not offended my friend, and I think you got it right, I'm probably over thinking everything I do, and yes, I'm so bogged down by the technical side of it I'm losing track of the creative side. You're comments have certainly made me look at myself in a different light, and I'm gonna go back to basics and stop scrutinising everything. I thank you for your honesty.

@IV4 - your comments are also very helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to read through my rant, and comment in such a way to enlighten me!

11. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

yes Fletch i hear ya
    just listen to my own tune from 2 years ago and it defo sounds like the best piece i have ever written.
    i am also on the same boat as you :/. some stuff that could help you work efficiently is to make templates.when ever u start a tune u could just fire it up and save u loads of time. have your own drum kit. restrict yourself to a few drums. a lot of time is wasted flipping through samples.
    save channel strip settings. in logic its easy and im sure you can do it in ableton. these can have the synth, fx etc
    save midi files of your riffs
    always go back to your old tunes.

12. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Lots of good tips here i think so much has already been said...I'll just echo it. Just like horace I may be new in producing this genre but been playing guitar for years and friends still comment that one of my best songs is the first one I wrote. That's kinda cool but also kinda sucky as it makes me wonder.....all the stuff I learned about recording at home, mixing etc got applied in later tracks and my production values definitely increased (and I'm feeling I've learnt even more here, with thanks to people like you!!) but still my mates like the first track :D

linked here if you're interested/curious ! (WARNING: get ready for some shadows style retro guitar though, very chilled ! no d&b here!!):

I knew nothing about recording (although had a ton of experience keeping hum down from my amp already), I've learnt so much since then. So what do you take from that ? I dunno, just a good tune is a good tune I guess and the technical stuff maybe matters less than we all think ?

Did you also try to get any of your tunes professionally mastered ? Might be worth a shot to just try out, sometimes the ears and analogue equipment these guys have can really change your tune for the better. I know lots of people are self mastering these days but it doesn't replace a professional who's been doing it for years imo.

Keep the faith :D And do it for fun :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  13. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I don't really enjoy making dnb anymore. I feel that I spend too long on each sound and it really sucks the fun out of it.

Try and do something different, genre wise.

14. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

Nice song man haha :D wish I had my first one on tape too. This was the first electronic/guitar style track I wrote though, don't think I've ever been able to recreate that atmosphere at 4:10 :)
    http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/65528710/file.html

15. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Nice track yourself :) Good playing, really like the bass actually, very melodic !

16. Rajstah Vibe

Also, Mr. Fletch.

What I usually do,( when I want to grab all my stuff and brake it in the wall thinking that I wasted more than 10 years studying music technology) is to shut the fuck my projects, and listen tons of the big music it's around.
    Then, I buy my favourite tracks, I put them in the grid of live and try to mix them with my stuff.
    I understand what I'm missing, where to improve.
    I've found lot of inspiration by comparing my tunes with the other artistes I like.
    Put yourself back and listen pure audio from the masters. Even without reading the names of the tracks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  17. Rajstah Vibe

I think you probably missed that old post I wrote on the long bass thread months ago.

I post a quote just to refresh it a bit.

I've been criticised for this post and my geeking around with freqs, but me I don't give a shit about what people, who doesn't see, follow or get my point, says.
    I care about what, with my experience and my science, gives me what I want.

I was really pissed off, like you, from the rubbish that was coming out after the freq split of a good sound.
    So decided to investigate WHY?
    Why a sound, supposed to be the same after a plit, was coming out different?

Do not frustrate yourself mate.

Periods of sperimenting, studying new forms, getting into total darkness happens.
    Can last even years. (hopefully not!!!)
    But in the meantime, you will develope other skills...
    And for sure, those other skills, they'll be helpfull the day that your inspiration will be back!
    It will come all by itself!
    But of course, you gotta feed your machine!

I had a huge block after I did a couple of IDM tracks last year.
    I still don't know how I did those tracks, for me, they are the most beautifull tracks I ever did. And are not DNB.

Also another track, my first neuro, done in one night with few sounds not much processed...
    Now I won't do that anymore...
    But...

Let's speak honestly...
    We all know that...
    Up and down...
    That's how it goes! Strong warriors they keep going, even with broken legs... Others they'll give up... not shame on em, it happens. Someone will find out something more interesting in theyr life and it will mean that this wasn't really important for them.

Q.
    Is this important for you?

Do it.

Do it.

Do it...

I don't remember who posted this somewhere...

But get the soul of it..

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  18. Swayzy

Swayzy Member

Fletch,

I don't know you that well so I can probably be a bit more honest.

I remember you had a thread on bass where you got touchy over somebody saying you are spending 'wank time' producing piss bass. I would never have used those kinds of words but I did see what that person was saying. You were doing stupid amounts of processing to produce what I at least thought was tinny tacky bass.

I did mention to you on your thread that you may find buying a hardware synth/sampler really helps and I still think you are stuck in the digital world where you can't get the lush bass; and you are doing it the hard way. Also the guys you were referencing were big names (people like Noisia I think) but they produce shit bass that has no thought put into it, especially the proper lows that drum and bass should produce. Also they don't produce drum and bass. That is a big problem- if you are desiring sounds from genres like dub step or whatever those tunes you referenced were (speed garage/dub step/grime- it all sounds bad to me unless it is drum and bass).

I wouldn't normally post here as I tend to get little response of use and only 15 year olds(all with good intentions of course) tend to reply to me.I'll probably not write again here but if I were you I'd seriously rethink how you are spending your time.

19. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Then stop doing whatever it is you are doing during those hours and hours. It's obviously wrong. Do the right shit instead.

20. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Noisia don't produce Drum & Bass? Uhm mate where have you been living in the past 5 years?

Ontopic: Fletch I get your situation, I totally understand how you feel since I've been in the same position up until about 6 months ago. I was constantly watching tutorials about bass sound design, resampling and processing, but meanwhile I felt like my basslines were starting to get worse... I was spending months on a single track, without even releasing it in the end because I think it sucked. After months of not producing any finished tracks I decided to rethink my position and what I want to accomplish.

During that time I started doing my tutorial videos about subjects that people are asking for, but I also decided to pick a genre out of my comfort zone, so I ended up doing Electro House instead of Dubstep or Drum & Bass. During this series of videos I really tried to ditch all the technical stuff and focus on the basics first, which made me open my eyes. Making music doesn't always have to be difficult and complicated, sometimes less is more and can really be a better choice. It's hard to describe what made me realize that what I had been doing in the past time was not right, but I can clearly tell that it happened during the tutorial videos.

Also I started listening a lot more specific to the music I like, trying to break down each song in elements and thinking how could they've made it, instead of going to google and just typing "insert artist name here synth tutorial". Somehow it made me realize that I was overthinking things a lot, trying to learn all these plugins while I could possibly do the same with just one of them, etc.

I can honestly say that this period of making tutorials has improved my vision and skillset on making music, got two new releases signed in the last 2 months which should come out soon, been finishing tracks faster than ever before and I even like them again. Times like these can be really hard, but you'll get out of it eventually, as long as you keep trying.

The advice about taking a totally different approach and make a different genre for a while always helped me in times of writersblocks, because it forces you to think different about the stuff you're making. Good luck mate, if you ever wanna collab or whatever just let me know. Btw, I send you a PM some time ago but never heard back from you would like to get you involved in some projects of mine.

Greets!

Rajstah Vibe likes this.