Production advice pls

delamia

Hey guys, I'm after some general tips on DnB production. Although I've mixed plenty of stuff before I've never really taken on DnB production per se so I'd like to know if there are any tips that can be offered WRT the genre.

What I've included is the latest track I'm working on. It's a remix of an old Brazillian tune ''Masquenada'' (Black eyed peas did a version). I've been working on the arrangement but it's now time to address the mix.

It's not a typical 7min DnB track as I wanted to make it more radio friendly but I'm still not sure about the last 8 or so bars. Ideally there should be some new sounds introduced around then.

Anywho, I just joined so I prolly fucked up somewhere but if you can be bothered I'm listening to any feedback.

Much obliged

Delamia

Really cool tune, love the vocal early on (start to recognize the track in the middle from the Black Eyed peas version :) ). Don't have any genre tips for you really, think you did a good job. Mix wise I think the high end is a bit lost - the bass and drums are fine but you lost some of your high end instruments I think (maybe needs eq?). Just ascetically I'd have the drums stop at some point, I know you're trying to keep it rolling but bigger impact if the drums stop and come back in, but that's a matter of taste. Keep going with dnb :)

Really cool tune, love the vocal early on (start to recognize the track in the middle from the Black Eyed peas version :) ). Don't have any genre tips for you really, think you did a good job. Mix wise I think the high end is a bit lost - the bass and drums are fine but you lost some of your high end instruments I think (maybe needs eq?). Just ascetically I'd have the drums stop at some point, I know you're trying to keep it rolling but bigger impact if the drums stop and come back in, but that's a matter of taste. Keep going with dnb :)

Cheers bro for taking the time. The mix has a whole new home to go to but let me ask at which point would you prefer the drums to stop?

can't see the track anymore but from what I recall there was a point where it was pretty minimal drums with just the hats going, perhaps around there.

Thanks for your feedback. I've spent a little more time and included a break from the drums towards the end. I'm happy enough with the structure now and I think it was the percussion from the original sample that was causing problems. Due to nerve damage my ears are terrible at hearing high frequncies so a lot of the time I'm just guessing.

Anywho, I've uploaded the new version if anyone would care to listen.

Thanks

I'm also working on a video for it which I might put up when it's done

Back
Top Bottom