Producing with a sub

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
I know there's plenty of threads about which sub to get, but I am not yet decided upon whether to get one or not.

I currently have KRK Rokit 5 GP2s, which have a frequency response down to 50hz according to the website.

A lot of the tracks I'm working on are really focused around the sub bass, and was wondering if this is sufficient, as there are some levels on the DAW that I can't hear through my monitors.

Also, I've got an old sub kicking round from a cheapish 5.1 surround system, do you need to reach for the £300+ ones or are non-pro audio subs ok for covering 40-80hz ranges?

Cheers

I always ask myself: will my listeners be listening on 2.1?

I'd say sell your KRK's and add the money you would have spent on a sub on entry level ADAMS, Focals or Dynaudio's.

It's not that there is anything wrong with a sub, but there's really no need (it might even be wise only to use it when the format allows it) to use it if it's not gonna be played on a 2.1 system.

Hell i'd love a 7.1 set up. But if your not a sound designer for a game or hollywood block buster, there's no need.

And there's always your headphone.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 ----------

Oh and it's always good to check out the sub on a consumer grade device!

Sub = hyped room modes. Stick to 2.0, much more accurate monitoring. Get full range speakers (8") if you struggle with low end or high quality referencing headphones.

I don't think he meant what would you recommend for surround mixing but just as a general addition for monitoring

My remark about surround was simply to exemplify the necessity of a sub (or rather lack of it).

That's why i recommended getting better monitors with a good lowend (rokkits are, contrary to believe horrid in the low end, but that's to be expected for the price).

Cheers for the pointers, I was just really meaning as an addition to my krks, to extend my low end for monitoring.

I merely mentioned 5.1 because I had a sub from one of the surround systems you always got free with computers about 6-7 years ago.

Doubt I'll upgrade my monitors anytime soon, as I got my KRKs for about 40 quid and I'm more than happy with them for everything apart from sub bass, just checking if I was missing out on the really low stuff

produce with monitors not subs, they make the low end sounds more than they need to be

Back
Top Bottom