Producing with a sub

Discussion in 'Production' started by Alexi, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

I know there's plenty of threads about which sub to get, but I am not yet decided upon whether to get one or not.

I currently have KRK Rokit 5 GP2s, which have a frequency response down to 50hz according to the website.

A lot of the tracks I'm working on are really focused around the sub bass, and was wondering if this is sufficient, as there are some levels on the DAW that I can't hear through my monitors.

Also, I've got an old sub kicking round from a cheapish 5.1 surround system, do you need to reach for the £300+ ones or are non-pro audio subs ok for covering 40-80hz ranges?

Cheers

2. polymass

polymass @humanowrkshop

I always ask myself: will my listeners be listening on 2.1?

I'd say sell your KRK's and add the money you would have spent on a sub on entry level ADAMS, Focals or Dynaudio's.

It's not that there is anything wrong with a sub, but there's really no need (it might even be wise only to use it when the format allows it) to use it if it's not gonna be played on a 2.1 system.

Hell i'd love a 7.1 set up. But if your not a sound designer for a game or hollywood block buster, there's no need.

And there's always your headphone.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 ----------

Oh and it's always good to check out the sub on a consumer grade device!

3. RedRavenRuler

RedRavenRuler boom baby

I don't think he meant what would you recommend for surround mixing but just as a general addition for monitoring

4. druu

druu Member

Sub = hyped room modes. Stick to 2.0, much more accurate monitoring. Get full range speakers (8") if you struggle with low end or high quality referencing headphones.

5. dexter

dexter Member

yeah, dont need a sub.

6. polymass

polymass @humanowrkshop

My remark about surround was simply to exemplify the necessity of a sub (or rather lack of it).

That's why i recommended getting better monitors with a good lowend (rokkits are, contrary to believe horrid in the low end, but that's to be expected for the price).

7. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

Cheers for the pointers, I was just really meaning as an addition to my krks, to extend my low end for monitoring.

I merely mentioned 5.1 because I had a sub from one of the surround systems you always got free with computers about 6-7 years ago.

Doubt I'll upgrade my monitors anytime soon, as I got my KRKs for about 40 quid and I'm more than happy with them for everything apart from sub bass, just checking if I was missing out on the really low stuff

8. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

produce with monitors not subs, they make the low end sounds more than they need to be