producing music and smoking weed.

lanmonkey

I don't use weed but a mate of mine who does was telling me that its the best thing for creativity so I thought I would ask the question here Does weedhelp or hinder production of music?

Do what works for you mate

My completely honest personal opinion is I don't have a problem with drugs if the user wishes to use them, as long as they do so safely and don't affect others and also they don't engage in forcing others to partake. When it comes to music though I have to admit I actually think it is really quite weak if you are having to use drugs to find the inspiration to make music (no offence to anyone here if this is what you do its just my opinion on the matter). People might give it a go some time and the common story is your tune sounds sick when you make it and shit when you are clean the next day so from what I hear it might not even be worth having a go!

if i jave a jay my productivity drops. i tend to just listen to samples of rasta mcs/dancehall acxapellas and speed them up. then realise my tune sounds the same and ive done nothing. it can help if your just jamming with keys or something

Smoking weed is great for listening to tunes because it can help you get into the music and really figure out what you like and dislike about a track- for actual producing though, a cup of coffee would probably be alot better if you're serious about optimising your output!

depends. sometimes it really helps, other times you just get distracted.

This, my favorite times to smoke weed specifically as it relates to production are:

1. If I'm completely out of creative ideas or I've lost the flow in a track
2. After I've arranged the tunes, sit on it a few days before mix down then get high and do the first mix, usually do the same thing again (listen to the new stoned after a few days) then do final mix adjustments sober
3. If I'm just dicking around in my DAW looking for trouble

This, my favorite times to smoke weed specifically as it relates to production are:

1. If I'm completely out of creative ideas or I've lost the flow in a track
2. After I've arranged the tunes, sit on it a few days before mix down then get high and do the first mix, usually do the same thing again (listen to the new stoned after a few days) then do final mix adjustments sober
3. If I'm just dicking around in my DAW looking for trouble
link to your tunes?

Yeah man i can definitely see why it would help, But i guess it would be a good idea to listen to music while baked, writing down ideas for songs, because if you've ever been high you'll notice you come up with a lot of ideas!

smoking can sometimes help but i find id rather just get on my decks an mix when im stoned

It kinda works and it kinda doesn't for me, when I'm at a dead end at a production I blaze a joint or two and spend hours working on it with renewed insights and etc. I just love the output then, then after a while I'm so fucking stoned and tired I decide to go to bed, the next day is where the coin flip kicks in, no matter how awesome I thought the track was yesterday, the tracks is either COMPLETE SHIT, or MMKAY, when its mmkay I clean it up when I'm sober and tend to sometimes create a cool track out of it.

but best thing about producing high must be that, whatever you did you didnt waste your time. at least you were high. when you write shit sober its just a waste of time :D

Have you ever done music, ON WEED?

Heh heh heh groelle.

I do all my stuff while stoned; baked even. I think it takes more discipline to make music while under the influence than while sober. Though of course, choose what method works for you. If you haven't tried it and are wondering whether it would benefit you or not, why not try it? Don't limit yourself to what others think should be the norm. As long as you're not harming others or yourself, why not? It might work for you. You might even come up with shit that sounds completely different when you're stoned than when you're not, that still sounds good. Although, I would always urge to stay away from harder drugs. Weed's one thing, coke's another.

Have you ever done music, ON WEED?

Heh heh heh groelle.

I do all my stuff while stoned; baked even. I think it takes more discipline to make music while under the influence than while sober. Though of course, choose what method works for you. If you haven't tried it and are wondering whether it would benefit you or not, why not try it? Don't limit yourself to what others think should be the norm. As long as you're not harming others or yourself, why not? It might work for you. You might even come up with shit that sounds completely different when you're stoned than when you're not, that still sounds good. Although, I would always urge to stay away from harder drugs. Weed's one thing, coke's another.

Haha, its true what you say though, got me thinking, I'm kind of curious now about how it would turn out if I made a track of like 6 minutes or so and after every minute a drop comes produced while high on a different drug.

Huh... that's an idea.

Tried working on something that was 80% done once while on shrooms. Didn't really come up with anything. Though, that's probably because it's was so far into production. It also didn't help that that chick from the Eurythmics was on t.v. and her head kept expanding and retracting. Can't remember her name.

I dunno if I was toking too much of the high grade stuff, probably end up down in the queue at the Chippy rather than trying to work a DAW! Bit of knocky rocky or some lighter Thai bud, and get on with it like a normal day, no pasa na.

I dunno if I was toking too much of the high grade stuff, probably end up down in the queue at the Chippy rather than trying to work a DAW! Bit of knocky rocky or some lighter Thai bud, and get on with it like a normal day, no pasa na.

translation:

I'm not sure, pal. If I happened to inhale an excess dosage of the required, strong marijuana, I most likely find myself with a peculiar taste for some fried potato cuts from my local vendor, rather than working within my digital-audio workstation. A small section of the solid (cannabis) resin form, or some of the imported and much cheaper - red string variety, would have me continue my day to day experiences, as I typically would without hindrance.

Back
Top Bottom