producing music and smoking weed.

Of course it is!
It happened to me many times that I really didn't know how to continue with my project, sometimes maybe for few hours. Then I went obtain some grass and it worked itself :)
smoke weed everyday ;)

Well, considering some weird shit happens when I get high, so it definitely hampers my productivity when producing :p.

To each their own though :).

For me, smoking weed makes anything more enjoyable because it enhances the experience. That being the case, I'm far more likely to stick at something when I'm stoned, especially if it's something that's fun anyway. When I'm high music has a much greater impact on me. Therefore I'm able to feel it more and create something free flowing. I don't have a choice in the matter because I'm a pothead anyway lol. Sucks sometimes but I can't go longer than a few days before I start needing Mary back. She may fuck up my relationships, break the bank, make me pale, cause me to eat shit food, get no sleep and retreat into a world of my own, but on the plus side I don't give a shit about any of those things when she's around. When she's in the room I feel this sense of calm, like she's some kind of guardian angel. She loves music (listening and creating) she loves to play games, to watch films and did you ever take her shopping? Sorry, went off topic there...basically I've just created my first few beats on Sonarx2 while high, after finally setting it all up and learning the basics. Now I have a big bag of weed and I'm gonna get stuck in. Wanted to see if this thread existed and glad it does. Keep toking and producing beats brothers and sisters and I'll see you all in the disco!

P.S I'll post some links to my Soundcloud on here when I have something made :)

Last edited:
More creative while stoned...its fun to mess around and experiment. That being said ive never gotten much further than making 16 bars while under the influence. I find alot of the time while sober i tend to stick to the same old structure and it gets boring. I probably just suck at producing though. I had a friend that made a couple tunes on acid and they sounded pretty amazing. I dont recommend it ofcourse but i think its interesting. Sounds like some ppl on here shouldnt be smoking weed tbh find a balance or you're going to regret it down the line

If you have a goal that needs to be met, like finishing or working on a track I don't suggest it. were working in numbers, analyzing outputs with subtlety and sometimes doing math! Weed is great for creativity, not for accomplishing goals. if your working on a bass only session, just warping sounds or creating a folder atmospheres using a granulator then maybe. but for a full track I think a pot of coffee would help more lol.

I don't smoke but I did a LOT years ago. maybe thats why I haven't taken music seriously until now. thats just my 2 cents.

I dunno, I never smoked one myself. But as far as the effects of marijuana on a person's system go, I believe it would be more harmful than anything. You'll probably get lazy as shit, or get distracted by anything.

Why do you think so many producers blaze? It's a great tool for inspiration, I find that I get sloppy with mix levels when I'm blazed and making beats, so I just go back and check the next day or w/e

I'm cained now and typing this + making beats

I find it nice for sound design sessions, but when it comes to laying things out i get less work done. Its More of a creative tool for me rather than a organizational one, thats for sure.

imo no, iam still learning so i am unsure what to do anyway lol so smoking a spliff and trying to learn isn't the best option for me although i still do it haha

It really depends. It definitely helps with creativity. Next time you are making samples, try it out. If it doesnt help, just stop using it. Personally when im stoned I end up just listening to my tracks more than making them tho

Er... Problem with drugs and producing is that drugs make things sound better. Gotta try making it sound as good as possible while sober :) Any time I've produced in another state, it sounds amazing, but the next day it sounds pretty bad.

Weed can be inspirational, but I would recommend a healthy dose of shrooms, a pair of headphones and 6 hours worth of music.

This will inspire you for months. Although, you may wake up the next day delete everything off you HD. But it was probably shit to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom