DnB producing for a newbie

zeen

I have been listening to drum and bass now for a good few years now and am looking into start trying out producing for myself. I am just wondering if anyone could help me out and give me any advice on what equipment i need to get me started off i.e.
  • What lap top to buy
  • What software is easiest to start off on
  • What sort off speakers to get
  • And any other equipment i mite need

And any other advice you have would be much appreciated.

I have been listening to drum and bass now for a good few years now and am looking into start trying out producing for myself. I am just wondering if anyone could help me out and give me any advice on what equipment i need to get me started off i.e.
  • What lap top to buy
  • What software is easiest to start off on
  • What sort off speakers to get
  • And any other equipment i mite need

And any other advice you have would be much appreciated.

• I use a Dell Inspiron 15R SE (I bought it for gaming, but it is serving me well for music productions).

The DAW you need to choose is up to you. All of them are the same when it comes to sound quality. Try the ones that fits on your budget (all of them have trial versions) and see the one that you have the best workflow. There are, also, some free DAWs out there. I personally use FL Studio for my productions. I tried Ableton and Reason, but couldn't get the hang of them.

I don't have the money or the space to buy monitors, so I rely on my Beyerdynamics 880DT Pro. They are pretty good headphones. This subject is also somewhat controversial, as headphones cannot give you the flat sound you get on monitors, but this are things you can overcome with time and experience.

About the other equipment, maybe a midi controller would be good, to start off. I don't use one myself, but I will buy one as soon as I get some spare money.

I hope I helped.

Honestly, FL might be the easiest to start out with.
I use Cubase 7 myself, but it's not the easiest DAW to learn.

Also, get a computer with the most powerful CPU you can get your hands on.
Preferably something with a quadcore i7 with hyperthreading!

Forsure you want something with at least an I5 core man you wanna be able to run the baby for hours without slowing your comp down.honestly if you ask people what daw to use your not gonn get that 1 answer man itd be best if you try em all out,but imma still throw my choice out there,ableton.DAWs are more like a kitchen and your samples,vsts,loops etc and things like that are your foods.NEVER ever try going with a DAW just because another artists uses it man best advice youll ever get,

NEVER ever try going with a DAW just because another artists uses it man best advice youll ever get,

This. Companies sponsor some artists, and those artists will always say "this DAW is better than any other". They need to sell (both companies and artists), and will do anything to make YOU buy their product.

"Trash is essential to our sound." —Noisia -> this was taken from the iZotope Trash 2 page. It means this: you wanna make sounds similar to Noisia? Only Trash will provide the sound you want. But you'll have to pay $249 USD to achieve this sound.

I'd personally start with Ableton, get a free trial and see how you feel. I wish Id never lernt Logic now lol!

just use FL Studio, and pay no attention to the sample window, breaks are easy to program, on a drum machine they are just

1_8_kick.png

if you want modulator effects and echo`s etc to be in sync with some like, you set the timing to 1/8

1_8.png

then when image line get around to doing it, events graphs will be like

gross_beat1.jpg

and not the , 1 mistake and you have to delete the whole channel rubbish

46.jpg

I started on Fl. Great program. I was considering switching back from Logic until I saw logic x. Get logic. X mane. It looks easy to learn. There are 2 modes as well

logik and all the others are for people who use sample cd`s, and not beat slicers

Dude, you're trolling on that other thread on this forum, and getting very negative responses. Please, let's keep this thread as legit as possible, so our friend zeen can choose the way he want to start producing, based on our personal experiences.

they are tards of london who have spent 10 years crying about kool fm and funky flirt being aload of cum sippers

Last edited by a moderator:
you can always turn the edit events window into an automation clip man

they should still get around to cleaning the event graphs up, automation clips are not precise to the bar if your a "real" musician, even if you zoom all the way in on the playlist

all of the grids in the playlist, piano roll, and events, are reprezenting bars with the bright lines, and steps with the dimmer bars

then you have aload of "real" musicians talking about mach 5 in the demo`s, and they would cry if you just have to delete a whole channel, because you clicked on the wrong pixel while drawing you event graph

Last edited:
but having "parametric" drawing like gross beat, is more professional, alot easier and better to look at

there is no point having it in automation clips, and not the main event editor

Last edited:
alot of people use FL Studio, but one day when imageline get around to cleaning up the event graphs, which should be a priority

you will be drawing this rubbish, the same way as you doing the gross beat graph, and it will look like a "parametric" graph too

46.jpg

gross_beat1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom