Producing fat beats.

Jolly Jumpa

Dj Synergex
I've been trying certain things like EQing the mid and lowering the high's to trying to getting the groove of the beat to get the funk to make the fat to soft clipping the beat to make it louder. But I seem to be at a loss of how to get that fat feel to it. E.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxYftCxkKA
Anyone able to help please, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Sidechain everything with kick n snare + Compression + layering different breaks etc ?
Or I just dont understand your question :)

i know it's not a helpful comment but the best way to get a fat beat is to use really, really good samples

to trying to getting the groove of the beat to get the funk to make the fat

hurr_train.jpg

seriously though man...

1. good samples
2. correct aplication of eq (learn the frequency ranges of each instrument, kick, snare, hat etc)
3. correct aplication of compression
4. if your real stuck, add a tiny bit of drive to your snare before the compression

(y)

Try some tube amp, or some tape saturation. Parallell bus fed into your master drum bus. Or just on your kick and snare. Add a bit of noise to your kick or snare. Dirty things up a bit.

I know this chinese proverb that gets bandied about a lot about 'vely good sample makes extra sauce and polish well', but I reckon that if everything is too clean, too perfect and all fenced in by eq's it loses phatness.

Add some grit.

What surbprime said.

Add some distortion to the master drum buss. Add some heavy compression. If something sounds far too loud and distorted it's probably not actually that bad as long as it doesn't make the sound quality drop.

With load of my beatzzzz I crank up the distortion and bring down the volume of the overall drum buss level. I dunno. Try loads shit. Add on some chorus to some of your hats or breaks... I dunno... experiment!

Also... in terms of levels... the kick and snare HAVE to be quite a lot louder than the rest of your percussion/breaks. That's if you want a punchy kick and snare. Just make them louder in the mix in general.

Fuck knows if any of that made sense but yeah... hope you got something out of that... lulz

Thanks guys, what I seem to do is make a redrum/kong instrument and get all the instruments I need in there (snare, precussion, kick, cymbal, hihats, etc.) and add all the eqing, compression, limiting and stereo imaging. But just recently I've added a seperate channel for a snare and another for a kick so there is a more prominant hit on the kick and snare (I've done this on my new track, Fissure - in signature). This process gives me the chance to phatten (add more low and mid levels) to the kick, snare and preccussion of the entire beat so that it gives it more punch outside of the two outter channels that focus on the low and mid of the kick, and the mid and high of the snare). I hate my beats sounding too tinny or crisp because it gives it a fake sense of realism (IMO), but I like to take away some high end frequency because majority of the time it makes the beat sound more phat.
That's what I do, I dunno what you guys do, but hopefully this gives a more open illumination of the way I do things via breaks.

Also, don't forget that every track that gets released usually is mastered which basicly puts the BOOM back into DnB. Alot of people seem to forget that!

I think EQ'ing most of the drums on different channels is a pretty good idea.
Just make sure you rather turn stuff down rather than up to shape the sound. Somethings you've got to give things a bit of a boost, though, I usually give the kick a nudge in the low bass range-ish.
Oh, and turn any part of the spectrum you don't need down completely. Cut the sub and the bass from the hats, chop the top off the kicks, etc.

Another technique maybe is to get a kick hat snare pattern, just basic, and layer a break on it, from which you cut the low frequencies. Then check your spectrum to see if everything is filled up, cause otherwise your beat will sound a bit 'empty' somtimes. Than you can add another break, like some bongo conga shizz, or just mess a bit around with percussion. That's what i do sometimes :p
And indeed eq you drums and breaks on different channels to make sure they fit each other.

Try some tube amp, or some tape saturation. Parallell bus fed into your master drum bus. Or just on your kick and snare. Add a bit of noise to your kick or snare. Dirty things up a bit.

I know this chinese proverb that gets bandied about a lot about 'vely good sample makes extra sauce and polish well', but I reckon that if everything is too clean, too perfect and all fenced in by eq's it loses phatness.

Add some grit.

This works well

Ok then. I'm gonna record some wheelbarrow tomorrow and upload it for you all. In the post your kicks thread perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom